Which currency??

Jason12

Whats the best currency to use? will it be best to get my own $$ at the best exchange rate before? Do they give a good exchange rate on board?

I only ask as I don't use a credit card only a visa debit and they would not take this when I booked had to send cheque so I will need to set up a cash account on board .

Jason

Whats the best currency to use? will it be best to get my own $$ at the best exchange rate before? Do they give a good exchange rate on board?

I only ask as I don't use a credit card only a visa debit and they would not take this when I booked had to send cheque so I will need to set up a cash account on board .

Jason

If you are setting up a cash account you should buy your $US before you go.....the exchange rate onboard won't be anything like as good. :)

Jason

Are you saying that you were unable to pay for your cruise by debit card? Don't understand, we always pay by Visa debit card. Did you book with a travel agent? Apart from anything else you have more security when you pay by card. Not that I am expecting the cruise line to go belly up anytime soon!!

Are you saying that you were unable to pay for your cruise by debit card? Don't understand, we always pay by Visa debit card. Did you book with a travel agent? Apart from anything else you have more security when you pay by card. Not that I am expecting the cruise line to go belly up anytime soon!!
That was my thoughts too, I've used a Visa debit card previously as well

That was my thoughts too, I've used a Visa debit card previously as well

You should check with the bank which issued your debit card to make sure that there aren't daily limits on the amount you can charge. That has sometimes been the problem reported by people who were using their debit card to cover their onboard charges.

You should check with the bank which issued your debit card to make sure that there aren't daily limits on the amount you can charge. That has sometimes been the problem reported by people who were using their debit card to cover their onboard charges.

Never had a problem and just used a Visa debit card to secure my Seapass account on our recent transatlantic crossing. However, the op is referring to paying for the cruise booking before sailing, which again I've done with a debit card and this is what raised my concern.

I booked direct and RCI and they have got a issue with Natwest and Royal bank of Scotlands debit cards and I Bank with Natwest, I did ring them a few times to make sure the info was correct.

There's no problem with limits just thought it would be easier to pay by cash on board, I hate owing money hence no credit card.

Thanks for the advice.

Jason

Ps I hope they don't go belly up

I booked direct and RCI and they have got a issue with Natwest and Royal bank of Scotlands debit cards and I Bank with Natwest, I did ring them a few times to make sure the info was correct.

There's no problem with limits just thought it would be easier to pay by cash on board, I hate owing money hence no credit card.

Thanks for the advice.

Jason

Ps I hope they don't go belly up

Hi Jason, I bank with Natwest too and have used my Visa debit card direct with RCI too, especially for ordering wine packages, soda packages, shore excursions pre cruise too. Unless this is tied in with Natwest recent changes where some account holders like me can only use Natwest or RBS ATMs to get money out since 22nd Nov.

Although I do secure my Seapass account with a Visa debit card, I use US$ travellers cheques and deposit these onto my account once it hits around $200 to keep the balance down. At the end of our recent sailing I only had $100 to go onto my Visa debit card.

It maybe worth noting that if you use a totally cash account you have to settle this by a certain time on the final evening and can't charge anything else unless you leave a cash deposit which you then have to sort out before you disembark by joining the queue at Guest Relations early in the morning you are leaving.

Well. That's unbelievable. I assume they had no problem with your Natwest cheque.

They have got the cheque but no money taken yet but it's only been a few days? Online account says paid in full so should be all ok.

Just checked Natwest online and they seem to have changed some things regarding debit cards I will now be charged £2 for using another banks ATM:mad: but then again I never really use them.

I have got $300 OBC and was going to put another $500 when we checked in is this a good idea?

Jason

hi, we sailed on grandeur this year, and like you we don't have a credit card. we paid in us dollars on the last evening of our cruise, we had until 11.00pm that night to settle our bill. we did not have to put any money into the account to activate it when we boarded, best advise for me to give would be to keep a tally of what you spend, and keep all receipts incase of any queries.:)

Archived