Want to visit city in Puerta Vallarta

DrMrsRichardson

My family will be in Puerta Vallarta mid Feb and want to go to a city. We have been to this port several times. The last time we went was on RCCL and we went on an "all inclusive resort" shore excursion to Mismaloya something or other. On the way there we drove through a really neat looking city/town with many shops but do not know what it was called. It was about 30 minutes from the ship (don't know which direction :o).

We are hoping to get a ride there (or to some other interesting town) via taxi/charter/city bus?? We would love to walk around and do some window shopping and end up at a resort, beach, or cool bar/lounge.

Does anyone have ideas on this?

P.S. I am a foodie and MUST find a great place to indulge in my food passion.

Thanks ;)

My family will be in Puerta Vallarta mid Feb and want to go to a city. We have been to this port several times. The last time we went was on RCCL and we went on an "all inclusive resort" shore excursion to Mismaloya something or other. On the way there we drove through a really neat looking city/town with many shops but do not know what it was called. It was about 30 minutes from the ship (don't know which direction :o).

We are hoping to get a ride there (or to some other interesting town) via taxi/charter/city bus?? We would love to walk around and do some window shopping and end up at a resort, beach, or cool bar/lounge.

Thanks ;)

You probably went thru the Centro/Malecon area and Old Town area both of which are Puetro Vallarta. As Highway 200 goes thru both these areas. We particular love the Old Town area (south of the river) It is very easy to grab a cab or city bus by the cruise terminal to get to either of these areas. If you get dropped off at the Malecon you can walk along it and cross the river over into Old Town area. There are many great bars/restaurants in either area to pick from. There are not any resorts in this are but any of the beach front bars/restaurants have chairs on the beach.

Enjoy PV we will also be there in Mid February.

Thanks ;)

I suspect the city you discovered is Puerto Vallarta itself. The port is on the north end and Mismaloya is several miles south of the city.

Reference the information on this site - http://www.vallartainfo.com/ The port is located at the north end of the "Hotel Zone" map.

Taxi or city bus from the port to the city center. I would suggest starting at either the north end of the Malecon (Hotel Rosita) and walk south or start at the far south end (Restaurant La Palapa) and walk north.

In between, you fill find more places to stop, shop, drink or eat than we could possibly list hear.

Enjoy!

As others have said, you drove through the best city in the area - Puerto Vallarta! Do as msntravelers suggested and take a taxi from the ship to the malecon and enjoy it. It has been totally renovated so it will be even better than before. I can't wait to see it in 1/13.

Puerto Vallarta is the only city you would go through to get from the cruise docks to Mismaloya.

The blue and white bus stops near the stoplight between the ship and Wal Mart. Fare is 6.5 pesos (a little over 50 cents US). The bus will have Centro on the window, and goes along the main road until it reaches the North end of the malecon, then turns left one block, then right and continues until the streets merge just before you cross the river Cuale. You can choose to get off just after the bus turns left, or stay on until you cross the river into old town. Coming back, you go away from the ocean until you see buses going North and you can catch the same color bus that says Wal Mart on the window to get back to the vicinity of the ship. The street the buses use is one block from the malecon on the North end. May be different on the South end depending on where you are.

While you are on the malecon, be sure to say Hi !! to Troy, Chris, and the rest of the crew at the Sea Monkey (or Cheeky Monkey )!!!

Riding the bus is an interesting experience !!! I call it fun !!!!!

To elaborate on swedish weave's post, there is a bus stop closer to the port exit than the Sam's stoplight, just feet after you turn the corner (to the left) as you hit the main street. Wave to make sure they see you.

At least on our recent trip (what a ride!) the driver accepted US Dollars and gave Pesos in change.

On the return trip, there is one stop (at the hospital) just before Sam's/Walmart that is a bit closer to the Port entrance. Request a stop as you see the ship getting pretty close. If you miss it then it's only 50 yards or so to the Sam's stop.

gary

p.s. I don't know the folks at the Cheeky Monkey, but we had a great time and a great view with MANY cheap drinks there recently.

p.p.s. Hi swedish weave, I believe we met on the NCL Star a few years ago.

Puerto Vallarta is the only city you would go through to get from the cruise docks to Mismaloya.

The blue and white bus stops near the stoplight between the ship and Wal Mart. Fare is 6.5 pesos (a little over 50 cents US). The bus will have Centro on the window, and goes along the main road until it reaches the North end of the malecon, then turns left one block, then right and continues until the streets merge just before you cross the river Cuale. You can choose to get off just after the bus turns left, or stay on until you cross the river into old town. Coming back, you go away from the ocean until you see buses going North and you can catch the same color bus that says Wal Mart on the window to get back to the vicinity of the ship. The street the buses use is one block from the malecon on the North end. May be different on the South end depending on where you are.

While you are on the malecon, be sure to say Hi !! to Troy, Chris, and the rest of the crew at the Sea Monkey (or Cheeky Monkey )!!!

Riding the bus is an interesting experience !!! I call it fun !!!!!

We always enjoy the blue Walmart bus into town and back again from the cruiseport and will be using it again in Feb...It's an adventure as well as cheap transportation :eek::)

This photo was taken from the back of the Splendor last week.

If you look closely, you can see both bus stops that I mentioned above, (or at least the bus at the stop).:)

The bus headed to downtown is visible through the cut in the trees on the left side of the photo, and the bus returning is visible across the street, just to the right of center.

th_DSCN2811.jpg

(click)

gary

Archived