Transfer existing NCL.COM reservation to a TA - will I lose OBC

mousecrazy

I feel like I'm getting the runaround from both NCL and a TA. I'm hoping someone here can give me some real life experience.

I've found an online TA who is willing to give me OBC of $325 to transfer my existing NCL.COM reservation which has an existing OBC of $300 (early booking). I was under the impression that the TA could handle the transfer. But the TA is telling me I need to email (dispatch@ncl.com) or fax NCL to request a booking transfer. Does that sound right?

And, finally, the NCL rep told me that I "might" lose the original $300 OBC because the promo code will change with the new booking, even though the reservation number will remain the same. She wasn't able to confirm or deny her statement even after I pressured her for an answer. So, if NCL doesn't know the answer to that question, who does? The TA says the original OBC will remain.

TIA.

I feel like I'm getting the runaround from both NCL and a TA. I'm hoping someone here can give me some real life experience.

I've found an online TA who is willing to give me OBC of $325 to transfer my existing NCL.COM reservation which has an existing OBC of $300 (early booking). I was under the impression that the TA could handle the transfer. But the TA is telling me I need to email (dispatch@ncl.com) or fax NCL to request a booking transfer. Does that sound right?

And, finally, the NCL rep told me that I "might" lose the original $300 OBC because the promo code will change with the new booking, even though the reservation number will remain the same. She wasn't able to confirm or deny her statement even after I pressured her for an answer. So, if NCL doesn't know the answer to that question, who does? The TA says the original OBC will remain.

TIA.

No worries. I've done it several times. You will not lose the early booking OBC. I transferred one booking with $300 early booking/suite, $150 Latitude Move up OBC and nothing was lost. You just get more OBC from the TA (I got an additional $200 OBC from TA for a total of $650.00 OBC) This was for our cruise Oct 2011 and it sure was fun spending all that OBC.

You do have to email NCL directing them to transfer your booking. Your TA should be able to let you know exactly what information must be in that email. Once NCL gets the email, your booking should be transferred within 3 days.

Note: Make sure you get in writing exactly what the TA is offering in additional OBC before you transfer your ressie. Also be sure to find out what, if anything, you will be charged by the TA if you want to make any changes to or cancel your reservation. Once you transfer you must go through the TA for anything else regarding your ressie. NCL will no longer talk with you.

Thank you peg013 for some real life experience. Seems like each person I spoke to (including TAs and NCL) was giving me a different answer. I'm going to give it a try.

And, just to clarify, the existing $300 OBC was attached to this ressie for early booking (9+ months) a suite, not due to price reduction.

Thanks!

We booked our own cruise through NCL on the Breakaway the first weekend we could do so, and we received the Latitudes OBC. On Monday, we transferred the booking to our travel agent , and they allowed us to keep the OBC. I think you'll be okay.

• 1 month later...

Does anyone know if there is a time limit to transfer reservations to a TA? Does it have to be done within so many days of making reservation? I made reservations with NCL but found a better deal with a online agent. THANKS

Just because some people were able to keep one OBC and then get another, do not assume it applies to ALL bookings. After all, there is always the small print.

And yes, the TA can not set up the transfer. You have to do something to start it, otherwise TA's could just grab reservations.

We do this on every cruise. Book with NCL early and keep an eye on the cruise to see if the price or OBC gets better. About a month prior to the final payment, I reach out to an online TA to see how much additional OBC they will give me. I learned this technique from the great people on this forum.

We had so much extra OBC on a recent cruise, we used it to cover the full cost of two Citizen Watches.

..., I reach out to an online TA to see how much additional OBC they will give me.....

If you don't mind, could you please tell me, when you "reach" out to an online TA what exactly do you ask them?

I have wanted to do this, but never knew exactly what to say because whenever I called a TA, I was always quoted a higher price than I was paying directly thru NCL.

I'm not sure if I told the TA exactly what I was paying though, maybe that was the problem??

Thanks for your help.

:confused:

I've used a certain "compete" (don't think I can use the exact "cruise" website name) website where multiple TAs will compete for your business. While the NCL fares are set, the TAs will give you some of their commission as OBC in your pocket to get your business and therefore the commission in theirs.

Once you identify the TA who will receive your ressie, give them a call with the reservation number and they will give you the proper information (i.e. Travel Agency name, address, phone) to forward to NCL. NCL requires an email and it takes up to three days to process and the transfer needs to be completed prior to final payment.

I insisted that my final invoice from the TA include a note indicating the total OBC associated with the reservation and also verifying the existing OBC with NCL prior to transfer.

It was a smooth, painless process. I doubled my OBC as a result of a little work...yeay...free money.

If you don't mind, could you please tell me, when you "reach" out to an online TA what exactly do you ask them?

:confused:

I simply told the TA the true story about being booked with NCL and could they offer me addtional OBC. My online TA has always welcomed this conversation.

• 2 weeks later...

Does anyone know or has successfully transfered their reservation from NCL to their online TA while having the current American Express $500 promotion? My online TA is offering $250 OBC for suites. The price of the cruise is the same. I don't want to risk the $500 AmEx but $750 is mighty tempting. Will transfering it knock out the AmEx promotion code?

Out of curiosity, can someone explain to be how does it benefit the cruise line to allow transfers to travel agents?

This is just a guess.

I don't imagine it benefits them at all except. You could always cancel your reservation with NCL to rebook with a TA. If that happens the TA may just convince you that you would get a better deal/itinerary/cruise with another line. Allowing a transfer leaves a higher assurance that NCL still keeps your business.

Archived