Cave Tour on my own, but, concern about tenders

JesMil

Hi all. I have done much research on cave tubing tours, and I feel confident in booking my own. Because there will be many of us, the cost savings to do the tour directly with the tour operator is substantial. However, I am a bit concerned about the tender situation back to the ship. We will be on the Liberty of the Seas, and read some recent CC threads about the tenders STOPPING because of high waves. So, I am quite worried that although the tour company may get us back to the port prior to scheduled departure, if the tenders have quit running, would we be stranded in Belize? If we booked through the ship (double the price), I imagine they would HAVE TO get us back to the ship.

Any advice on this subject would be appreciated.

Hi all. I have done much research on cave tubing tours, and I feel confident in booking my own. Because there will be many of us, the cost savings to do the tour directly with the tour operator is substantial. However, I am a bit concerned about the tender situation back to the ship. We will be on the Liberty of the Seas, and read some recent CC threads about the tenders STOPPING because of high waves. So, I am quite worried that although the tour company may get us back to the port prior to scheduled departure, if the tenders have quit running, would we be stranded in Belize? If we booked through the ship (double the price), I imagine they would HAVE TO get us back to the ship.

I have never once heard about anyone getting stranded in Belize because the tenders stopped running.

We are booking our cave tubing tour independently and frankly, I'd be much more worried about a bus breaking down, or a traffic accident delaying your trip back to the port and missing the ship. Even so, it's a risk worth taking if you book with a reputable operator.

I haven't seen anything about stopping tenders either. I don't see how a cruise line could stop tendering people early and then leave them at a port.

Book with a reputable tour company.

Keep in mind that everyone uses the same tenders. I also have not heard of the tenders stopping, but if they did and they found a way to get the ship's excursion passengers back, they would use the same method for everyone else. This would be a different scenario than just missing the ship because you were late. Whether or not they were legally obligated, I can't imagine any cruise line not taking care of you in such a situation. Especially after the public opinion beating that RCCL took on the way they handled having to leave a port early due to a hurricane.

We just came back from Belize and did cave tubing on our own. It was awesome and definitely worth doing.

We went with cavetubing.bz and had a really small personalized tour. Because it was so small, I had no worries at all that we wouldn't make it back as they are really good about time keeping.

We just came back from Belize and did cave tubing on our own. It was awesome and definitely worth doing.

We went with cavetubing.bz and had a really small personalized tour. Because it was so small, I had no worries at all that we wouldn't make it back as they are really good about time keeping.

Did you also have lunch?

Did you also have lunch?

Yes, we did stop for lunch after cave tubing in Vitalino's house in the village (which is right by the caves).

We got off the ship around 9/9:30 and then stepped back on the ship at 3:30, after stopping in a few shops too at the dock.

• 2 weeks later...

No worries at all with the tenders. It took a heck of a long time to get in and out (about 5 miles I think), but, David and Henry from Cave Tubing R Us got us in and out perfectly. We had great personalized service, and David's entire family helped with the tour. Nice meal followed (separate payment) after cave tubing at Cheers, very nice! We saved significantly by doing this tour on our own (12 people) instead of through the ship. Also, nice to pay a local business person, instead of the cut going to the ship.

Archived