Cruising with the Handicapped

hn7609

I just have to chime in on this disaster of a thread. I will break this down into 3 parts.

To people who are able bodied. Openly challenging somebody who uses a wheelchair, scooter, service animal, cane, walker, or any other assistance device is wrong. The fact is that it is none of anybodies business why a person is using any medical device. Medical conditions can be debilitating and yet show virtually no outward signs. Even if the person is only using the device due to laziness or due to a disability caused by that persons own actions, it is still none of anybodies business. If somebody hits you and it is an accident, let it slide. If it was malicious, then you would have my full support in pressing charges. I am sure that the vast majority (99.9%) of incidents are simply accidents. Remember, nobody is perfect. If you Bump into a person who is disabled, apologize. If you spill their drink offer to replace it.

To people who are disabled. You should never feel that you need to justify the reason for using a medical device to anybody. I see that in this thread alone people justifying their use of a device. It is not needed. Please understand that just because you have a disability, it does not entitle you to any preferential treatment. If there is a line, then you should wait in the line just as long as every other person. The reason for this is that it is wrong for anybody to ask for pity. Pity is the same as begging with hand in cap. (Yes, that is where the term handicap came from and why I refuse to use it.) It makes you a second class person, for which you are not. If you bump into somebody, then apologize. If you spill their drink, offer to replace it. Never use an assistance devise as a weapon. It is not a weapon. It is part of who you are and should be treated with the same care as you give to yourself.

To everybody. Please remember that a person who is disabled or abled is a person. On a cruise, it is a person trying to enjoy their vacation just as much as your are. Be respectful to that fact. Yes, there are those out there who feel that they are above everybody else. There are those who feel that they are entitled to do as they please, even if it means doing it at another persons expense. We should feel sorry for people like that. People like that have no capacity to care for anybody except themselves. Because of that, they will never understand true happiness.

I will not disclose if I, a family member, or somebody I work with is disabled or able bodied. To make my point, it is not needed. The reality is that it is not needed to make any point. If I offended anybody with my words, then please understand that this is only my opinion and I favored neither group.

I am still limping with pain almost two months after being run over by a scooter on my last cruise.

It was not the first time I was ran over but it was the worst. It happened the second day too. I could barely walk by the time the cruise was over.

Fair warning, stay away from me if you are on a scooter. I will not allow myself to be injured by one again.

My right to stay mobile far exceeds any rights you think you may have.[/quote]

<3 LIKE <3

I hope you never have to use a wheelchair or scooter. If you do you may change the way you think. My husband feels he is being looked at as less of a person because he HAS to use a scooter to get around. His scooter allows him to live a somewhat normal life. Without the scooter he would be totally homebound. How would you like to be unable to enjoy life?

I hope you never have to use a wheelchair or scooter. If you do you may change the way you think. My husband feels he is being looked at as less of a person because he HAS to use a scooter to get around. His scooter allows him to live a somewhat normal life. Without the scooter he would be totally homebound. How would you like to be unable to enjoy life?

while i agree with you, there are some people that push the throttle to get through the crowds, because there are others that don't move when one is coming through.

and end up injuring people that had no idea they were coming through.

My husband is one of those overweight people on a scooter. He wasn't always overweight but has a hard time staying at optimum weight due to forced inactivity. He is a veteran of 2 wars which is how he, and many others who must use a mobility scooter, became disabled. He would love to be able to stroll on the deck, walk into the dining room, or quickly enter an elevator on his own. Unfortunately this is not possible because he gave up his mobility to keep this country free so that you all could safely cruise the oceans. People need to show a little patience & consideration when dealing with those less fortunate. Your family member may be alive & well because one of these handicapped people stood beside them in battle. Is this bad attitude what we are teaching our children? I hope not!

Well, bless your heart. You're just going to let someone running amuck with a scooter ram you at top speed, knock you down, and leave you in their dust with possible broken bones and not do anything? Yeah, right.

Obviously, we were brought up with different values, and there is little likelihood that one of us will change our values to those of the other.

I am not mobility handicapped, but I have served on the board of a regional agency for the handicapped for many years. I wish you could have met some of the incredibly brave souls I have had the privilege of knowing.

Bill

You apparently didn't really read what I wrote but just did a pc jump. I am handicapped and have been since I was six years old. I also spent two years working at the University of Arizona in a rehab evaluation unit. I am very respectful of, and helpful to, people who must rely on wheelchairs and scooters, but they have no right to endanger or injure me or cause any further limitations to my own mobility. I'm not talking about accidental tires over toes, but rather about using scooters as battering rams. And, yes, I have seen it happen. I will protect myself in any way necessary, if I personally face that situation. And, I don't care if anyone likes that or not. As I believe Will Rogers said, your right to swing your fist ends at my nose.

I don't use a scooter but I have. When people come up beside you and then get in front of you and then stop, it is hard to stop in time. I have but it is hard. People do it all the time. I do use a walker. Sometimes I can walk for a distance but other times I can't. I can not stand still however so I will use the walker for that. It is hard though because I have the same problems as people with scooters. I wait and wait. I wish that I could use the stairs more. I have been really trying to get myself up to the point where I can walk better but if my fibro really acts up I am lost. I would love to be able to walk all over the place with no walker and walk up and down the stairs. I do not expect special things (like front of the line) however I do expect to be able to do things in a timely manner just like everyone else. One time at the buffet I had people try to go in front of me as if I wasn't even there???? I really do try to be polite and wait my turn.

tigercat

You apparently didn't really read what I wrote but just did a pc jump. I am handicapped and have been since I was six years old. I also spent two years working at the University of Arizona in a rehab evaluation unit. I am very respectful of, and helpful to, people who must rely on wheelchairs and scooters, but they have no right to endanger or injure me or cause any further limitations to my own mobility. I'm not talking about accidental tires over toes, but rather about using scooters as battering rams. And, yes, I have seen it happen. I will protect myself in any way necessary, if I personally face that situation. And, I don't care if anyone likes that or not. As I believe Will Rogers said, your right to swing your fist ends at my nose.

Exactly...

I don't use a scooter but I have. When people come up beside you and then get in front of you and then stop, it is hard to stop in time. I have but it is hard. People do it all the time. I do use a walker. Sometimes I can walk for a distance but other times I can't. I can not stand still however so I will use the walker for that. It is hard though because I have the same problems as people with scooters. I wait and wait. I wish that I could use the stairs more. I have been really trying to get myself up to the point where I can walk better but if my fibro really acts up I am lost. I would love to be able to walk all over the place with no walker and walk up and down the stairs. I do not expect special things (like front of the line) however I do expect to be able to do things in a timely manner just like everyone else. One time at the buffet I had people try to go in front of me as if I wasn't even there???? I really do try to be polite and wait my turn.

tigercat

This frustrates the hell out of me . We have all at one time in our life been behind a slower person . But when you are in line you just wait. That is so rude and unnecessary .

If you have a walker and need the extra time to get in then you should be at the front of the line and maybe even let in a few minutes early to get to a seat before the pack wolves come in.

I never realized the problems with elevators. I promise you this...On my next cruise I will do everything I can to help a person in a wheelchair, scooter or cane get on that elevator as soon as possible.

LIKE LIKE LIKE LIKE LIKE!!!!!

Thank you!

Sue (whose scooter is already charged for Saturday's sailing)

I am still limping with pain almost two months after being run over by a scooter on my last cruise.

It was not the first time I was ran over but it was the worst. It happened the second day too. I could barely walk by the time the cruise was over.

Fair warning, stay away from me if you are on a scooter. I will not allow myself to be injured by one again.

My right to stay mobile far exceeds any rights you think you may have.

Did you stop suddenly to chat without letting the driver know what you were doing? Did you back into the driver without checking to see who was behind you? It's not easy to control scooters in a crowd when pedestrians are in control and don't watch for the drivers! I try to go slow to anticipate activity around me, but it can be impossible, even when I beep my horn. People around don't think I'm referring to them.

So you see there are two sides (my dad tells people I don't have a license yet)!

I just have to chime in on this disaster of a thread. I will break this down into 3 parts.

To people who are able bodied. Openly challenging somebody who uses a wheelchair, scooter, service animal, cane, walker, or any other assistance device is wrong. The fact is that it is none of anybodies business why a person is using any medical device. Medical conditions can be debilitating and yet show virtually no outward signs. Even if the person is only using the device due to laziness or due to a disability caused by that persons own actions, it is still none of anybodies business. If somebody hits you and it is an accident, let it slide. If it was malicious, then you would have my full support in pressing charges. I am sure that the vast majority (99.9%) of incidents are simply accidents. Remember, nobody is perfect. If you Bump into a person who is disabled, apologize. If you spill their drink offer to replace it.

To people who are disabled. You should never feel that you need to justify the reason for using a medical device to anybody. I see that in this thread alone people justifying their use of a device. It is not needed. Please understand that just because you have a disability, it does not entitle you to any preferential treatment. If there is a line, then you should wait in the line just as long as every other person. The reason for this is that it is wrong for anybody to ask for pity. Pity is the same as begging with hand in cap. (Yes, that is where the term handicap came from and why I refuse to use it.) It makes you a second class person, for which you are not. If you bump into somebody, then apologize. If you spill their drink, offer to replace it. Never use an assistance devise as a weapon. It is not a weapon. It is part of who you are and should be treated with the same care as you give to yourself.

To everybody. Please remember that a person who is disabled or abled is a person. On a cruise, it is a person trying to enjoy their vacation just as much as your are. Be respectful to that fact. Yes, there are those out there who feel that they are above everybody else. There are those who feel that they are entitled to do as they please, even if it means doing it at another persons expense. We should feel sorry for people like that. People like that have no capacity to care for anybody except themselves. Because of that, they will never understand true happiness.

I will not disclose if I, a family member, or somebody I work with is disabled or able bodied. To make my point, it is not needed. The reality is that it is not needed to make any point. If I offended anybody with my words, then please understand that this is only my opinion and I favored neither group.

I have read this thread and everyone's opinion, and I just really feel like I have to add my thoughts. First of all, the above quoted post was very nicely put. The word we all have to use is "respect". It is not a case of who is deserving, or who is manipulating the system or who wants to get in the buffet line first. It is just simply respecting another human being and I hope that we can all do that.

My mother and father taught me how to respect others. That is why when travelling with mom, who uses a motorized scooter full-time, we respect those around us. We don't feel entitled to elevators. We wait politely for an empty one and when there are other folks on there, mom always says "watch your toes". Not because she is a wreck-less driver, but because if someone accidentially bumps the controls, super sensitive scooter may jump. We don't jump lines in the buffet, but I do stand with her and help her with the tray so that she isn't attempting to balance driving and carring food through the crowd. You will hear a lot of "exuse me" and "pardon me" while we are getting through the crowds. As for spots to watch shows, it is unfortunate that the seating next to the handicapped spots do not have a reserved sign by them. More often than not, mom is sitting in her designated parking spot and the rest of us are several seats - or even rows - down. But again, I respect those who decided to get there early enough and get those seats.

As for the rude and inconsiderate posts on this thread, I hope that you never experience the kind of arthritis that has your bones grinding together so hard that you cannot bare to stand up for more than two minutes before tears spring to your eyes. I hope that you never break your leg and have complications from the surgery and end up with metal plates holding you together like Humpty Dumpty. I hope that you and your family are spared any pain at all, because you will obviously never understand the life that my mom and so many other people have to live.

Enough said - I think I'll start planning my next cruise!

I never realized the problems with elevators. I promise you this...On my next cruise I will do everything I can to help a person in a wheelchair, scooter or cane get on that elevator as soon as possible.

Me too. Although I have always been considerate, I will actually hold the elevator up & prevent people from getting on to let a wheelchair on that has been waiting.

Archived