Cruising with the Handicapped

hn7609

I had been reading a review of the Magic Trans Atlantic crossing that had degenerated into a bashing of the handicapped and their scooter usage. While some supported scooter usage the majority seemed to resent the “special privileges” that the handicapped were afforded and openly questioned if the people even were handicapped or needed the scooters. One poster took delight in flustering people by challenging them on the nature of their handicap. Is this the attitude of the cruising community or was that thread hijacked by a small vocal minority??

I have been diagnosed with Lou Gerhigs disease in the last year. I am now forced to use a wheel chair to travel any distance over 100 yards. To those who think that it is an enjoyable experience to traverse a cruise ship in a wheel chair you are dead wrong. I can’t imagine any able body person who would pass them self off as handicapped in order to scooter around the ship. I can assure you that there is hardly a more humiliating experience than being forced to ride in a wheel chair or scooter. The world is a whole different place when you are suddenly at belly button level with everybody else.

I appear to be a normal healthy 6’1” 205 lb person setting in my wheel chair. You might not even think that I have a disability as I can maneuver myself pretty well in it. But please don’t challenge me as to the nature of my disability………it only serves to remind me that I have only a short time left to live, I’m on vacation with my family to try and forget some of the realities of life just like you. Instead could you please help me just a little bit, if you see me stuck could you move a chair out of my way on the Lido so I can get thru or possibly give me a few extra seconds to get on the elevator instead of rushing in around me and filling it up. I’m taking a cruise this Christmas with my wife and children; I expect that it will be my last cruise………I would like for it to be a nice experience for all of us. I don’t want to think that I am spoiling somebody’s vacation just by being on the ship enjoying all of the handicap perks

Thank you for your post. My husband has also been diagnosed with ALS. We are wanting to take a cruise in January, which will most likely be our last cruise. He also has to use a scooter inorder get around. I pray that you have a great cruise and people treat you with the respect you deserve. I now look at disabilities with much more respect than ever before.

Please post a reivew of your cruise in the eyes of someone who must use a scooter to get around on the ship and ports.

I think most of the bashing was because a lot of scooter usage while cruising appears to be morbidly obese people. Yes, they need the scooters because the get SOB walking short distances, but I think the bashing is because for "most" folks they can try to do something about the obesity but "appear" to choose not to. I'm fully aware I will be flamed for these observations and I'm okay with that. I can take it.

Other reasons are because many of us, myself include, have directly observed scooter folks blatantly scooting full force and anything in their path is just roadkill.

actually, it offends me when these individuals are crashing into all over the ship, except at the buffet lines, where they are standing with oversized overflowing plates.

and then there ARE those that legitimately need the scooter.

hn7609... First let me say I am truly sorry that you have to deal with this disease. May you have a wonderful cruise. How about we all just give each other a little more kindness. Slow down a little, hold the door for someone, offer assistance, wait your turn etc. etc. Bottom line is that none of us truly knows what goes on behind the doors of peoples lives, and we should not be quick to judge. Be nice people.

Very nicely said. It seems that common courtesy has evaporated in our society.

3. ....... The ones I cant stand are the ones who walk in fine from the parking lot & flop down in the store scooter. They have no real issue other than Laziness. (I apologize to anyone if there is something else wrong with you other than what I described) Walking has always been one of the best exercises for the Heart & losing weight. So to ride when you should be walking is what I have against these people. If you are in PAIN from walking because of a hidden condition, I also apologize to you. These are what these things are for.

This is the problem. Just because someone walks in fine doesn't mean they are fine. Do not judge please. People have many ailments that are not visible. Can you see asthma? Can you see muscular dystrophy? Can you see a bad heart? But it is okay to make that comment when you see someone flop down on a cart that are lazy. :rolleyes:

I walk okay (well maybe I walk like I'm 80 when I'm 50) but my disease cannot be seen. I have muscular dystrophy and I can walk but when I do, I may fall. I have fallen many times in parking lots just going from my car to the store. I usually don't ride a scooter but I do park in handicapped parking because I cannot walk long distances. You would not believe the stares I get. Or the comments people make when they see my family get out of my car at the restaurant because I may look somewhat normal. Just because I'm not in a wheelchair or missing a leg doesn't mean I'm not handicapped. I have a HC license plate for a reason.

Please don't judge.

To the OP, I really have not experienced any negativity to scooter users on any my Carnival cruises and I typically see people allowing them to get into elevators. I have traveled with someone that is missing a leg and rides a scooter 24/7 and he has no issues either. I agree speed is a factor and scooters should not go faster than people walk to avoid any accidents.

I am throwing a few points out here.

1. On not judge all people on scooters before you know them, I have seen many a bad driving, many things hit people barreled threw etc. I personally would rather assume the worst and be pleasantly suprized. I know I was nipped by a dog when I was 8. I am 38, i am still very skiddish around dogs. I have met quite a few people who know how to properly use there scooters and have manners. But it is like kids on a airplane. You only see the bad ones the good ones tend to blend.

2. When did asthma become a reason to be immobile. I am on 4 different daily meds just to keep it at bay. Not including my rescue stuff. Oh and it has caused some weight gain. And my DR says to walk and swim and build strength.

3. People keep mentioning " wheelechair" notice that has not really been brought up. People who use wheel chairs tend to know how to use them and use them at there own strength . And using a wheel chair for long time is hard work. ( I had one for the whole summer of my 9th birthday) Different thing all together.

4. you get the respect you give. Respect is earned as someone put it.

5. Ok let me say this. As we age and get sick our reflexes slow. It is evident buy how many people barrel into crowds and buildings in cars. People do not want to give up mobility . I get that. but in the same way I think that everyone under fifty should have to redo there driving test every ten years and after fifty every 5. And after 75 every year. I think that before someone rents a scooter they need to have a good scooter training and for a cruise ship they should have a max speed, and make it so the scooters can not go faster. Kids can not use those skate shoes as they are unsafe and they go too fast. Yet 14 is the age they say the reflexes are sharpest. But someone with slower reflexes can go faster?

People who own there own equipment tend to be more cautions, and more knoledgable the the ones who do not. It is like renting Mopeds. If you do not ride often something bad is going to happen at some point.

I watch out for scooters. Hopefully they do not hit me or my husband. He came close to getting his fake foot run over. And to fix that alone is over 5k. What a surprise that lady would have had.

As I say you notice the good not the bad. This stated because of a picture or two from the magic of damage done to the elevators by people who use scooter. i would wager to think they were not well trained riders.

You got my vote!!! I just couldnt believe the rude ppl!! Making up a theory of a vicious dog.. Lol how ridiculous!! Theres murders & out there too so I guess we should never be polite to anyone lest maybe they r one of them. My wish for ppl who think being disabled or elderly should automatically be assumed they r out to get able bodied ppl is.... That they never have to find out what its like to live in a world with folks like them. ( maybe that dog was waiting esp for them)

Scooters tramps????? Old Man????

Well let me tell you about those two legged TRAMPS I have run into. And those miserable old "My right to stay mobile far exceeds any rights you think you may have."

Sitting watching a show and those TWO LEGGED TRAMPS, trip over me and fell into MY LAP and then yell at ME for being in there way?? Or they TAKE one of the FIVE accessible seats available to me and I have to get an USHER to remove them, or the last cruise (inspiration) and Ohh I didnt see you sitting there minding your own business as I bump into you and spill my drink all over you.

Or how about I get into the elevator FIRST and those TWO LEGGED miserable "MY RIGHTS mean more to me then YOU" ladies pack around me and the SLIGHTEST moment of my chair results in me running over their litte itty bitty toes..and of course it is MY fault regardless that I was in the elevator FIRST and THEIR rights and THEIR getting to their place means more then me being able to move so they RAM me into the elevator then yell at me cause I hit THEIR toes.

Disgusting

I am in a wheelchair and one of the politest people you will meet but I have never seen such disregard for those less fortunate then I have on THIS thread. Calling them scooter tramps and old men and YOUR RIGHTS omg YOUR RIGHTS. I cannot believe that the mods even allowed you to call HUMANS, PEOPLE, tramps and old men.

Kindness and politeness to mankind mean more to ME then MY right. Obviously you have different beliefs.

Wheelchair people are not perfect, nor are elderly people and you two poster just showed us how IMPERFECT abled bodies are.

But fortunately the good FAR outweigh people like you.

Go ahead and call them scooter tramps or "old man" and be sure to assert your rights, makes you all look..so good.

You got my vote!!! I just couldnt believe the rude ppl!! Making up a theory of a vicious dog.. Lol how ridiculous!! Theres murders & out there too so I guess we should never be polite to anyone lest maybe they r one of them. My wish for ppl who think being disabled or elderly should automatically be assumed they r out to get able bodied ppl is.... That they never have to find out what its like to live in a world with folks like them. ( maybe that dog was waiting esp for them)

Where did someone they are rude to them. I think it is more people are more cautious around scooter users. I think that is a misunderstanding. being cautious around a group of people and being rude to them are two VERY different things .

I am rude to people who are rude to me. trying to cut me in line means you are rude so I am rude back. I do not care what you look like. Try to run me over and I am rude. I had a pack of kids do that and I was rude right back. They tried to trample me. They blew me off. I know there were around 14, I saw them sneak into the adult comedy and try and blend. I got them kicked out ;)

Why is no one commenting about the person who said because of how they have been treated on a scooter they will barrel threw etc. Because some people did not let them on elevators or move for them etc. So it is ok to lump all " walking" people together but not ok to lump all " scooter" people together

I apologize for my last post. I agree 150% with firerunner. I let my emotions take over my good sense. I wont post on this thread anymore in hopes that it ends up on page 132 or there abouts. I'm sure it just hurts the feelings of disabled ppl & furthers their fears of cruising. My friend didnt want to go cuz she scared she b in everyone's way. She paid $350 to rent the scooter & practiced before hand. She never changed the speed from turtle to rabbit. As firerunner said able bodied ppl took the seats designated for her & refused to move. She remained positive & defended thw rude ppl rushing in front if her. I'm now after reading this thread & seeing the rudeness, Ashamed of my own feelings. After cruise I said never again. It took sooo long to get anywhere cuz of elevator problems. She went so slow we were late for dinner every night & only saw show once. And even that involved drama cuz ppl they made move continued to make nasty comments.

This thread has bashed handicapped ppl which is completely disgraceful. Of course folks ease their conscience by starting off saying "I'm not bashing blah blah"

I'm sry some got toes hurt by a few. ( altho even they admit wasnt due to rudeness but inexperience) Some of these disabled ppl fought for our rights to blast them on here & continue being plain rude. I might get a few toes hurt but I have 2 options. Try to help ppl handicapped or not & Be forgiving & understanding of others... Or join the club of.. Do to them before they get me!! How sad to live your life worrying bout whose out to get ya.

Hope everyone has great cruises! I'll be the one holding the elevator for anyone less fortunate.

I apologize for my last post. I agree 150% with firerunner. I let my emotions take over my good sense. I wont post on this thread anymore in hopes that it ends up on page 132 or there abouts. I'm sure it just hurts the feelings of disabled ppl & furthers their fears of cruising. My friend didnt want to go cuz she scared she b in everyone's way. She paid $350 to rent the scooter & practiced before hand. She never changed the speed from turtle to rabbit. As firerunner said able bodied ppl took the seats designated for her & refused to move. She remained positive & defended thw rude ppl rushing in front if her. I'm now after reading this thread & seeing the rudeness, Ashamed of my own feelings. After cruise I said never again. It took sooo long to get anywhere cuz of elevator problems. She went so slow we were late for dinner every night & only saw show once. And even that involved drama cuz ppl they made move continued to make nasty comments.

This thread has bashed handicapped ppl which is completely disgraceful. Of course folks ease their conscience by starting off saying "I'm not bashing blah blah"

I'm sry some got toes hurt by a few. ( altho even they admit wasnt due to rudeness but inexperience) Some of these disabled ppl fought for our rights to blast them on here & continue being plain rude. I might get a few toes hurt but I have 2 options. Try to help ppl handicapped or not & Be forgiving & understanding of others... Or join the club of.. Do to them before they get me!! How sad to live your life worrying bout whose out to get ya.

Hope everyone has great cruises! I'll be the one holding the elevator for anyone less fortunate.

FYI do read this. MY husband has no right foot. he is handicap!!! So he is appalled by the behavior too. He almost gets hit.

We are not bashing handicap. We are bashing inexperienced scooter drivers. And on your friend who had people not get up out of handicap seats for her. Shame on them. I would never. I am going to treat people the same but I am not going to give anyone a " pass" on manners because of a disability"

So lumping us " walking" is fine. But people being nervous of scooters is not. Not one person has said handicap people $uck. the have complained about scooter riders. More over the bad ones. In same way you are saying these people didn't move, these people did jumped in front of her.

Look at the damage caused by inexperienced scooter driver? Look at the people hit and run over by them. In the same way a person who is in a scooter and uses it properly hates people who jump in front etc. It is the same thing. It really goes back to manners and knowledge. On both sides.

I am very respectful of the handicapped/disabled/elderly passengers and will always hold a door or offer any other help that is needed. I only use the elevator if I'm in high heels (which isn't for long) or coming back from diving and have to haul equipment up five decks.

I also am handicapped but no one would ever know by looking at me. I had a hip replacement at 50 due to congenital problems and my other hip acts up now and then. I had polio when I was six years old and now have symptoms of post-polio syndrome. I will not allow anyone to barrel into me with a scooter, because of the possibility of me falling. I understand the "toe" problem and always try to maintain a safe distance from tires. I'm also very aware of the height differences of scooters, and more so, wheelchairs, and give plenty of room.

But, as said above, be rude to me, and you will get it back in spades. If someone uses their scooter to ram me or push me out of the way, they will find themselves on the floor or keyless. And, if they injure me, they will be sued.

Thank you for your post. My husband has also been diagnosed with ALS. We are wanting to take a cruise in January, which will most likely be our last cruise. He also has to use a scooter inorder get around. I pray that you have a great cruise and people treat you with the respect you deserve. I now look at disabilities with much more respect than ever before.

Please post a reivew of your cruise in the eyes of someone who must use a scooter to get around on the ship and ports.

I’m not much of a writer and I never take pictures of my food so it is doubtful that I would post a review from that perspective. To give you and your husband some perspective I can fill you in a little on my last two cruises in a wheel chair. Please note that I am in an old fashioned wheel chair, a scooter experience may be different.

I was on the Glory out of New York last June, this was my first trip in the chair, however I was still able to walk a little bit at that time. Carnival was great with getting on the ship. You basically get the VIP boarding as you are taken to the front of the line. My wife and kids took turns pushing me up the ramps to board as it is a fairly steep trip to the main deck. Once on the ship it is fairly easy to get around in a chair because the floors are nice and smooth. Once you start changing decks and going different places you will soon discover all sorts of difficult situations for a chair. Lots of thresholds that will stop you dead in your tracks, doors that are difficult to open, and little things like that. Not complaining here just want you to know. I did have trouble with the elevators as most people would just rush in around me leaving me no room to get on. My biggest problem was trying to navigate thru the seating areas on the Lido during the busy times. The Glory carries a huge number of passengers and they’re all packed into the lido at lunch with chairs scattered everywhere. It was hard for me to navigate solo thru this area with so many chairs in the way. When my wife and kids were with me they could clear a path with little effort. Very few people would move a chair to help. I ate most of my meals in the dining room and tried to avoid the Lido whenever possible. We stayed on the Panorama deck and I had just a very short walk to a lounger and spent most of my days in a lounger with a drink. I stayed on the ship the first port day with my son. Next port day we did a bus trip to Peggy’s Cove. I didn’t take the chair and basically just rode to the cove, got off the bus but soon discovered that I couldn’t really walk more that a hundred yards and had to get back on the bus and wait for everybody else. I should have just stayed on the ship. All in all it was a good trip.

A month later we were on the Fantasy out of Charleston. Once again boarding was easy. We had to face many of the same physical obstacles on the Fantasy except that it is a smaller ship that carries fewer passengers so we had much less of a problem with crowds. The big difference was the southern hospitality of the passengers. People would hold doors open, they would let me get on the elevator first, they would move a chair out of the way. I had total strangers offering assistance on a daily basis. Great people got on the boat that day in Charleston. Once again my main activity was cooling out in a lounger on deck and watching the world go by. We did get off the boat in Nassau but it was not a great experience. A very steep to ramp to get down but Carnival did have somebody there to help. The chair traversed the dock area well but as soon as we were off the dock things got much harder. My wife wanted to shop the straw market but the aisles were too narrow for the chair. She went in, I just hung out and told everybody that I didn’t want my hair braided. She attempted to push me thru the downtown area but it was difficult as the sidewalks were in very poor shape. Very uneven, tilted, and just broken up, lots of curbs and obstacles in the way. We were out in the street at a few points just inches from the crazy drivers. We were both frustrated at this point so I sent my wife on to shop some more and I set out to wheel myself back to the ship. It was a memorable solo trip back to the ship. I had to fight off a few of the locals as they would grab the chair from behind and want to wheel me off somewhere. I guess in hindsight I was lucky to make it back. A note to all do not go solo in a wheel chair thru the backstreets in a foreign country. I was relieved to get back to the ship…….it was very difficult to get back up the steep ramp onto the ship as the Carnival workers were no longer working. The security guard watched as I tried to push the chair up the ramp myself, he did help me up when I collapsed in a heap at the top of the ramp. I didn’t try to get off the ship again that cruise.

For the Christmas cruise I’ll just be staying on the ship, avoiding the crowds, eating in the dining room when possible, & cooling out on deck. I sure hope that a lot of Charleston people will be driving up to Baltimore to cruise that week.

To close just a few notes based on some of the posts that I have read. Being in a chair or scooter does not give anybody the right to cut in a line…... period. If you wouldn’t allow an able bodied person to cut in front of you then you certainly don’t have to allow somebody in a chair to cut in front of you. Yes many people on the scooters are very large, once you have a disability it is difficult to maintain a healthy weight as it is pretty much impossible to exercise. I can’t walk anymore, so it is exceptionally hard to burn off many calories. I have gained weight as I still eat about the same quantities. I have no doubt that it is painful when a 300 lb. person rolls their scooter over your toes. A big fat guy stepped on my toes once at a theatre and yes it hurt…..but I know he didn’t do it on purpose, accidents happen, I don’t harbor a grudge against all fat men. Try and give the scooter people a little extra room and you may not get your toes rolled over. If you are assaulted by a renegade scooter person by all means call security they will deal with it. If you see a drunk guy flip his scooter over leaving the bar then just laugh at him the same way that you would laugh at any drunk falling on the floor (then help him up). Lastly if you see someone who can get out of their chair or scooter it doesn’t mean that they are faking it. Most of us are not paralyzed and can actually stand or walk for short distances.

I think this thread is so sad.

Pathetic really.

I don't understand how anyone feels they have the right to pass judgement on anyone else. Especially to the point of making people with special needs (for ANY reason) feel the need to defend themselves or the use of a scooter.

Yes, people in scooters should be careful not to run into anyone or anything and yes walking people should be considerate and helpful to people in scooters, it's common sense.

But to look at someone in a scooter and decide without knowing anything about them that because the person is overweight they are lazy is disgusting. There are lots of reasons people are overweight, and lots of them have nothing to do with being lazy. And since you don't know that person, you just don't know do you?

To watch someone walk from their car and go into a store and plop into a scooter and then decide for yourself that they dont need that scooter is equally disgusting. You have no idea how much pain they were in walking into that store do you? Pain isn't visible, so you couldn't know.

What gives some of you people the right to judge other people the way you do?

I can understand the debate over rudeness with elevators and running into people and cutting in front of others, but the judgemental comments? :eek::mad:

Pathetic really.

I don't understand how anyone feels they have the right to pass judgement on anyone else. Especially to the point of making people with special needs (for ANY reason) feel the need to defend themselves or the use of a scooter.

Yes, people in scooters should be careful not to run into anyone or anything and yes walking people should be considerate and helpful to people in scooters, it's common sense.

But to look at someone in a scooter and decide without knowing anything about them that because the person is overweight they are lazy is disgusting. There are lots of reasons people are overweight, and lots of them have nothing to do with being lazy. And since you don't know that person, you just don't know do you?

To watch someone walk from their car and go into a store and plop into a scooter and then decide for yourself that they dont need that scooter is equally disgusting. You have no idea how much pain they were in walking into that store do you? Pain isn't visible, so you couldn't know.

I can understand the debate over rudeness with elevators and running into people and cutting in front of others, but the judgemental comments? :eek::mad:

Well said...thank you.:)

...<snip>....I walk okay (well maybe I walk like I'm 80 when I'm 50) but my disease cannot be seen. I have muscular dystrophy and I can walk but when I do, I may fall. I have fallen many times in parking lots just going from my car to the store. I usually don't ride a scooter but I do park in handicapped parking because I cannot walk long distances. You would not believe the stares I get. Or the comments people make when they see my family get out of my car at the restaurant because I may look somewhat normal. Just because I'm not in a wheelchair or missing a leg doesn't mean I'm not handicapped. I have a HC license plate for a reason.

Please don't judge. ...<snip>....

I agree speed is a factor and scooters should not go faster than people walk to avoid any accidents.

I have a different disease that produces similar symptoms. I know EXACTLY where you are coming from with your post.

We did get off the boat in Nassau but it was not a great experience. A very steep to ramp to get down but Carnival did have somebody there to help. The chair traversed the dock area well but as soon as we were off the dock things got much harder. My wife wanted to shop the straw market but the aisles were too narrow for the chair. .

I want to comment on this. My very first retail job my manager went around with a long stick in each isle. She was using it so it was width wise. Well the stick was 4ft and she was making sure that the average person in a wheel chair could maneuver all her isles. And it has stuck to me . When I have help set up retail stores a lot of company's do not have guidelines but I always make sure that there is at least 4ft of room. I do wish more things were made with that in mind.

Pathetic really.

I could not agree with you more. Think, for example, of what sort of people would be proud to post the quote below.:confused:

be rude to me, and you will get it back in spades. If someone uses their scooter to ram me or push me out of the way, they will find themselves on the floor or keyless

Fortunately, we have not met people like this on our cruises. Or perhaps we just avoid them.

Bill

I think most of the bashing was because a lot of scooter usage while cruising appears to be morbidly obese people. Yes, they need the scooters because the get SOB walking short distances, but I think the bashing is because for "most" folks they can try to do something about the obesity but "appear" to choose not to. .

Exactly!

I could not agree with you more. Think, for example, of what sort of people would be proud to post the quote below.:confused:

Fortunately, we have not met people like this on our cruises. Or perhaps we just avoid them.

Bill

Well, bless your heart. You're just going to let someone running amuck with a scooter ram you at top speed, knock you down, and leave you in their dust with possible broken bones and not do anything? Yeah, right.

Pathetic really.

Very well said!! I am so thankful that I don't have to use a chair or scooter and after reading this thread I will be sure and offer assistance to anyone who does use one!!!

I am still limping with pain almost two months after being run over by a scooter on my last cruise.

It was not the first time I was ran over but it was the worst. It happened the second day too. I could barely walk by the time the cruise was over.

Fair warning, stay away from me if you are on a scooter. I will not allow myself to be injured by one again.

My right to stay mobile far exceeds any rights you think you may have.[/quote]

<3 LIKE <3

Ok, gotta add my 2 cents. I also use a wheelchair and at times a scooter because of an unseen disability and I don't like it one bit. With that said I also will say I have made the difficult choice to join the people who have no other choice because I have no other choice. Not to get back at the BLESSED people who do not require this type of assistance in trying to maintain some sembalance of a normal life.

Yes, I can walk. Not very far and not without a lot of pain but I am still thankful that I can, for now at least. My balance will not allow me to walk on a ship, I tried walking around our cabin and had to hold onto stuff because I was unable to compensate for the ships motion.

Yes, I am overweight. Not dramatically so, but I assume I will gain more in time due to inactivity and medication. This was not my choice to be in this position, I can't think of one single person who would chose to require the use of a chair or scooter over full use and command of their bodies. If you are still blessed with all these abilities, I hope you are thankful!

With that said, I will say I saw both behaviors on our recent cruise. I had people offering to carry my food trays, opening doors and helping me over the "big bumps".

I also had a lot of rude remarks sent my way because we were allowed a few "perks" due to the fact that my wonderful husband was trying to juggle all our belongings and my chair as well at boarding. Most of these were from the young and healthy who were offended that we were first time cruisers and they were "VIP" and we were allowed to board at the same time.

We also had people jumping in front of us for seats that were near the front or along the sides. We heard lots of complaints when my husband was allowed to remain with me and others were asked to move for other disabled passengers to have seats. I couldn't help but notice that they also wanted to sit with their companions, but were upset when he wanted to stay with me even though he is not disabled.

We are very polite and took extra care that my chair was not the inconvenience to others that I find it to be for myself. No crushed toes or ramming incidents.

We also spent a lot of our time sitting in front of the elevators watching people rushing past to get in first. We learned to leave way early to get where we wanted to go to on time. When we would finally be able to get into an elevator, we made sure I was as close to the wall as possible so as not to be in any ones way. Most people were thoughtful and friendly though we had a few who got off because we got on, with remarks of us crowding them, even though we had been waiting through several elevators and they rushed in past us.

I know this is long and yes I would be upset to be run over by anyone, disabled or otherwise, even though I see parents defending this behavior in children all the time. It hurts us to be tripped over and banged into as well. I guess I just think every one should be concerned for one another and that no one should think they are better than someone else. Your time may be coming with no warning, just like mine did.

I’m just going to add my 2¢ as well. I too have a unseen disability. Because of a transplant I had 17 plus years ago I take a lot of very potent meds to keep me from rejecting my kidney. Unfortunately I now have tons of pain, maybe from all the years of the meds I need basically to live, I’m told I may have drug toxicity and or fibromyalgia. I can’t stand for long (including lines), can’t walk very far at all. I’ve used a cane for years and now I use a scooter too. Yes I have a disability you can’t see either. I hate using my scooter because of the looks I get, the people that while walking in a straight line will all of a sudden with out waring or looking will walk right in front of me but IT’s MY FAULT they veered to the left or right. When using my cane or scooter I always look if I’m going to veer left or right. On my next cruise I am seriously thinking of not taking my scooter and just using my cane. Even though I’ll be in pain for most of the cruise and having to take more time to get from point A to point B I won’t have to put up with rude people that look at me like I’m a low life, or scum. Or trying to pull the wool over their eyes.

To quote someone smarter then most adults.

“God Bless Us All, Every One” and have a very Merry Christmas.

Kevin

I am still limping with pain almost two months after being run over by a scooter on my last cruise.

It was not the first time I was ran over but it was the worst. It happened the second day too. I could barely walk by the time the cruise was over.

Fair warning, stay away from me if you are on a scooter. I will not allow myself to be injured by one again.

My right to stay mobile far exceeds any rights you think you may have.

Forget it.

Scooters tramps????? Old Man????

Well let me tell you about those two legged TRAMPS I have run into. And those miserable old "My right to stay mobile far exceeds any rights you think you may have."

Sitting watching a show and those TWO LEGGED TRAMPS, trip over me and fell into MY LAP and then yell at ME for being in there way?? Or they TAKE one of the FIVE accessible seats available to me and I have to get an USHER to remove them, or the last cruise (inspiration) and Ohh I didnt see you sitting there minding your own business as I bump into you and spill my drink all over you.

Or how about I get into the elevator FIRST and those TWO LEGGED miserable "MY RIGHTS mean more to me then YOU" ladies pack around me and the SLIGHTEST moment of my chair results in me running over their litte itty bitty toes..and of course it is MY fault regardless that I was in the elevator FIRST and THEIR rights and THEIR getting to their place means more then me being able to move so they RAM me into the elevator then yell at me cause I hit THEIR toes.

Disgusting

I am in a wheelchair and one of the politest people you will meet but I have never seen such disregard for those less fortunate then I have on THIS thread. Calling them scooter tramps and old men and YOUR RIGHTS omg YOUR RIGHTS. I cannot believe that the mods even allowed you to call HUMANS, PEOPLE, tramps and old men.

Kindness and politeness to mankind mean more to ME then MY right. Obviously you have different beliefs.

Wheelchair people are not perfect, nor are elderly people and you two poster just showed us how IMPERFECT abled bodies are.

But fortunately the good FAR outweigh people like you.

Go ahead and call them scooter tramps or "old man" and be sure to assert your rights, makes you all look..so good.

Yes, it certainly is pathetic. Beyond pathetic and tragic to have such a dim and narrow view of the world and your place in it. Good news is the world is a whole lot bigger and finer than most (it seems) who post here.

3. The ones I cant stand are the ones who walk in fine from the parking lot & flop down in the store scooter. They have no real issue other than Laziness. (I apologize to anyone if there is something else wrong with you other than what I described) Walking has always been one of the best exercises for the Heart & losing weight. So to ride when you should be walking is what I have against these people. If you are in PAIN from walking because of a hidden condition, I also apologize to you. These are what these things.

but the thing is you don't know if those people who flop down in a scooter in the store have another condition. How do you decide if it's something other than laziness? How do you have any idea? I walk into the store, but if I didn't use the store scooter to do my shopping, I wouldn't be able to do it. How would anyone know that by simply looking at me? They wouldn't. They would just be being judgmental and arrogant.

Archived