HELP! ES Cancellation question!

monster16

I've searched through threads and couldn't find a definitive answer...so here it goes:

I'm currently booked for Destiny on 2/11/12 and final payment is approaching quickly. Unfortunately I lost my job last month and have been debating what I should do with this vacation. It seems after many logical conversations that not going on the vacation would be the best idea...

So I am posed with the question of either buying trip insurance or canceling outright and receiving a future cruise credit.

So my question to you all:

If I purchase the trip insurance, it's $49 per person, so essentially the same as the penalty for canceling and receiving a FCC. While on Carnival's website, it isn't quite clear if you receive the whole amount of your vacation back or if it's a portion.

Much help would be appreciated. I hate to have to cancel, but sometimes life throws these curves...hopefully in the future I will be able to sail and under better circumstances!

If you cancel Early Saver you lose your entire deposit. Then from that deposit they would keep $50 of it per person and the rest could be used on a future cruise. You would not get your deposit refunded back to you.

I am not sure about insurance since you didn't purchase it after booking. I am not sure if you could buy it now and if it would cover the cancelations penalty since you are technically only out $50 since the rest is applied to a future cruise.

The insurance to cover "cancel for any reason" has to be purchases within 10-14 days of the initial booking (at least all the ones I have ever seen).

So if you have ES rate, you are well outside that deadline. To purchase the insurance now, would be a waste as it would not cover your reason for canceling.

However, you can cancel ES and have the deposit (less a $50 fee) held for a future cruise to be used within the next 2 years. That would probably be your best option if you know you will not be taking this vacation.

Being currently unemployed is a pre-existing condition that would invalidate any insurance policy but "cancel any reason" insurance.

If you can find that for $49 then more power to you. Also as the remaining balance of the deposit is merely held by Carnival I doubt that would be covered anyway.

Best to take your lumps and hope that your employment situation improves before the future credit expires.

Most cancel for any reason costs more than $49 as big duck implied.

It also rarely covers 100% of the loss... unless its a very expensive policy.

carnival does cover job loss, but as you are already unemployed, you would have to commit fraud to get covered for that reason with carnival insurance.

I've searched through threads and couldn't find a definitive answer...so here it goes:

I'm currently booked for Destiny on 2/11/12 and final payment is approaching quickly. Unfortunately I lost my job last month and have been debating what I should do with this vacation. It seems after many logical conversations that not going on the vacation would be the best idea...

So I am posed with the question of either buying trip insurance or canceling outright and receiving a future cruise credit.

So my question to you all:

If I purchase the trip insurance, it's $49 per person, so essentially the same as the penalty for canceling and receiving a FCC. While on Carnival's website, it isn't quite clear if you receive the whole amount of your vacation back or if it's a portion.

Much help would be appreciated. I hate to have to cancel, but sometimes life throws these curves...hopefully in the future I will be able to sail and under better circumstances!

If you purchase the insurance with the intention of canceling it is called insurance fraud. Is the possibility of spending some time in jail worth it over the amount of your deposit.

You should just go ahead and cancel and realize that if you don't sail within 2 years you lose your deposit.

Archived