Duty Free

kiwichill

We just went into Duty Free in Auckland as we have done three times before to order our departure and arrival duty free and they say things have changed and that P & O wont allow this now as they want u to buy it on the ship.In other word they will not allow the public to take on any duty free bought in Auckland.:mad:

We just went into Duty Free in Auckland as we have done three times before to order our departure and arrival duty free and they say things have changed and that P & O wont allow this now as they want u to buy it on the ship.In other word they will not allow the public to take on any duty free bought in Auckland.:mad:

It is a year or so since we bought duty free alcohol in Auckland. Obviously P&O kept the alcohol in security and gave it to us on the last sea day.

Prices of duty free alcohol on P&O aren't to bad these days, particularly if they offer a discount for purchases in the first two days.:)

P&O don't allow you to take your own alcohol (duty free or not) on board to your cabin. They do, however, allow you to take it on board the ship, they will take it off you and put it in storage until you arrive at your final disembarkation port, in the same way that they don't deliver duty free brought on board until the day before disembarkation.

I'd say the shop in Auckland is just confusing the P&O rules on alcohol in cabins, with rules on taking alcohol on the ship.

On NZ cruises, we found it cheaper to buy one of the deals from the ship, rather than the Duty Free shop at Auckland. It would depend though, what alcohol you prefer to drink.

I don't find Auckland duty free all that cheap... When we fly from Auckland, we normally wait and buy it at Brisbane Airport, where it's a bit cheaper.

I don't find Auckland duty free all that cheap... When we fly from Auckland, we normally wait and buy it at Brisbane Airport, where it's a bit cheaper.

Australians on cruises that end in Auckland have to watch where they buy their duty free. Brisbane airport is good. If they buy it on the ship, it must be packed in checked luggage (and risk breakage). If you have it in hand luggage it will be confiscated by security at Auckland airport before boarding an international flight to Aust (or elsewhere). Friends of ours on a cruise last year were very upset that they 'lost' their duty free booze.

Australians on cruises that end in Auckland have to watch where they buy their duty free. Brisbane airport is good. If they buy it on the ship, it must be packed in checked luggage (and risk breakage). If you have it in hand luggage it will be confiscated by security at Auckland airport before boarding an international flight to Aust (or elsewhere). Friends of ours on a cruise last year were very upset that they 'lost' their duty free booze.

Yes, I know. I lost a bottle of port at Auckland airport because I forgot to take it out of my backpack and put it in my checked luggage.

Australia is relaxing the laws about liquids going through international security next year, maybe NZ is going to do the same

Yes, I know. I lost a bottle of port at Auckland airport because I forgot to take it out of my backpack and put it in my checked luggage.

Australia is relaxing the laws about liquids going through international security next year, maybe NZ is going to do the same

Yes, I read that. I think it is highly likely that NZ will do the same, but I don't think USA will.

Aust has already relaxed the rules on taking knitting needles, tweezers, nail clippers and umbrellas. The prohibition on tweezers always gave me a giggle. Do they really think someone would try to take over the plane by threatening to pull out someone's nose hair?? What about nail clippers? :D

Archived