Snorkling in St. Maartin?

Tazzycat

We will be in St. Maartin on 19 December 11 and we love to snorkle.

Can we snorkle from a specific beach you can recommend or

Can you recommend a tour operator who can take us on a boat out somewhere for good snorkling?

Can you recommend a tour operator who can take us on a boat out somewhere for good snorkling?

I personally have never had great luck with off of the beach snorkeling on the island. I had a great experience snorkeling out near Creole Rock with Seb from Creole rock watersports. There website is :

http://www.snorkel-trip-sxm.com/

We've done serveral snorkle trip in St Maartin and have not been pleased, not from shore nor a boat. We now plan our snorkle trip on other islands. Haven't tried the one he has suggested.

We have snorkeled all over the Caribbean, Florida Keys, Central America, and Mexico. In my honest opinion, St. Maarten does not have great snorkeling. We spent two weeks on the island. The best beach snorkeling was at Baie Rouge (average); but, mother nature changed the landscape there on Dec. 5th so, I am not sure what the snorkeling is like now. Pinel Island had excellent snorkeling until the preservation group took over and roped off most of the really good portions of the reef. The best snorkeling we done was through Aquamania on the Lambada that went to Anguilla; but, this tour is not really doable for cruise passengers. We left at 8:30 and did not get back until after 6:00 pm and getting to the marina would require a taxi from the port through Simpson Bay - traffic during that part of the day can be really SLOW and congested. I will also caution you that I see a lot of posts about Dawn Beach - We stayed at Princess Heights overlooking Dawn Beach for a week. The beach is really nice; but has choppy waters, is quite windy most days, and IMO has poor snorkeling (unless you want to see 100's of black sea urchins). We never tried to get to Happy Bay from Friar's Beach (french side); but, some locals told us there was good snorkeling there. If you port in Philipsburg, this would be a long way via taxi to get there. If you port in Marigot, this option is definitely more doable; but, involves a 15 minute hike to get there from the beach. St. Maarten is one of my favorite islands; but, not for snorkeling. I would choose snorkeling in another port on your itinerary and enjoy other activities on St. Maarten.

Why is St. Maarten one of your favorites? Would like to know what else there is to do there? Thanks!

We just rented a condo on St Maarten for 2 weeks next year. Why? The sun, sand, water, shopping, great food and restaurants, 2 cultures, etc. Like most Caribbean Islands the beaches are the main tourist activity.

Hank

Archived