Cruising without your spouse

travelingtriumphess

Hi,

This will be the third cruise I've taken. The last two my husband and I went on. This next one will be with my daughters and their friend. I guess I really want to enjoy cruising with my daughters (just the girls)

I guess I'm feeling a little guilty. How many of you girls would or have taken a cruise without your spouse?

How many of you guys would mind your spouses taking one "solo" with friends or family?

T. Umphess

I took my then 13-year-old granddaughter on a girls' cruise last year and my DH was so disappointed that he wasn't invited that I took another cruise with him two weeks before the one with DGD. I am taking her on another girls-only cruise in June, hopefully on the Oasis, and he is not really happy to be left at home, but...

I am slightly more irritated about it than guilty.

I think it just depends on the dynamic of your relationship. Many couples are very happy and very happy to do things indepenently. I just wouldn't be happy going anywhere without DH. I would just miss him too much. If you feel certain that you could go and have a good time, then there's nothing wrong with that. Just ask yourself if you would be ok if the tables were turned and he was going without you. As long as he doesn't mind and you are able to enjoy the trip, go for it. This is a question that only you can answer based on your relationship.

Hi,

This will be the third cruise I've taken. The last two my husband and I went on. This next one will be with my daughters and their friend. I guess I really want to enjoy cruising with my daughters (just the girls)

I guess I'm feeling a little guilty. How many of you girls would or have taken a cruise without your spouse?

How many of you guys would mind your spouses taking one "solo" with friends or family?

T. Umphess

My wife and I both cruise together and solo. There are times when she can get away and I can't and times when I can leave and she can't. Sometimes we go solo, sometimes one of the kids will join us.

My wife has done three or four 14 day trans Atlantic crossings without me, no big deal.

I did a 7-day with my mom and DH stayed home... He was totally OK with it and only minimally jealous, but that was probably because he and I were booked on the exact same trip/ship 3 months later.

It was actually harder for ME! I hated being away from him and not being able to call/text a hundred times a day like we do now (DH is a firefighter that works 48 hour shifts... texting is our lifeline!) Our phone bill was INSANE even though we added international calling and kept it short (5 mins a night... except the night I had a mini meltdown... then it was like 15)

I don't think I'd do it again, at least not a 7 day. If mom wants to sail with me she will be in her own cabin and the DH and I will be in ours! I just missed him too much, but we have to spend 6/14 nights apart on a regular basis so I guess I am more jealous of our time together than some would be.

I do take a every even year girls trip to Disney with my BFF and we stay about a week, but I think that is easier because our phones work so we can both text our husbands and call them when we want too :p

My DH and I always cruise together. Don't think I'd want to cruise without him. But, we both ride motorcycles and I still work. He doesn't. He frequently travels on extended bike trips around the country without me and I don't mind (well not much anyway). He does say he feels quilty leaving me behind but only for a few minutes! LOL

If my wife and daughters wanted to go on a girls only cruise I would ..............be on the floor laughing my a$$ of......they would kill each other before the end of the cruise. We all love each other, spend all the holidays, weekends, fun times with them. But after day two, ......lets just say the things change....

I took my Mom on a cruise for her birthday present 7 years in a row. DH did not have a problem with it since I also cruised with him several time each of those years. I was glad that I was able to do it for her before she died. The memories and some of the photos of her on the cruises are priceless.

My fav cruises are with my DH. We have soooo much fun together!

BUT I have much more vacation time than him and usually cruise 1x per year with my mom, or sister, or friend. I do have alot of fun with them but miss my DH. He loves to cruise and is very gracious and encouraging about me going without him. Missing him makes me appreciate him more...he is the best!

I think it just depends on the dynamic of your relationship. Many couples are very happy and very happy to do things indepenently. I just wouldn't be happy going anywhere without DH. I would just miss him too much. If you feel certain that you could go and have a good time, then there's nothing wrong with that. Just ask yourself if you would be ok if the tables were turned and he was going without you. As long as he doesn't mind and you are able to enjoy the trip, go for it. This is a question that only you can answer based on your relationship.

This is a good question. I wouldn't mind although I can't see him wanting to go without me. I've always loved doing things by myself. But you make an excellent point.

T. Umph

My husband does not and will not travel. I put up with it for a long time but I really wanted to do something. So 2 years ago I just told him that I was going to book a cruise for me and DD and he said go ahead. I asked him to come and said NO. So my DD and I went and had a blast. She was 20 at the time. Her and I had gone to Florida for a week every year because she used to play softball and spring training was in Florida. That really wasn't a vacation so this cruise was our first real vacation. I missed my husband a lot but I had to do this for me and DD. we had so much fun that we are going agin in a few weeks. Woohooo I thinking missing each other is a good thing. You appreciate each other more when you see each other again. Love him to death just wish he would come!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last year stayed in Europe for 3 weeks and went on a 9 day cruise with my brother who lives in Europe. We see him at most 1 time per year and DH could not take any time off to join me. DH goes on at least one guys hunting or fishing trip per year, so I guess we compromised on 1 vacation apart.

This year going on 2 cruises in Jan. together...got to get away from some of the cold weather in Minnesota.

I have not cruised without DH because cruising is the only easy to take vacation he enjoys. He doesn't fly any more so I DO go off on my own or with a friend at least once a year to places he won't go like Europe.

IF you've never gone anywhere without him I think it is a good thing to try it! I miss my husband but it makes me feel stronger and more independent so I am much nicer when I get home!!(and he is too):p

Sorry, I wouldn't go on a cruise without my husband. I consider us to be our own little "family" and I can't imagine going without him. I would miss him every day that I was gone. I guess I always prepare for the worst and couldn't imagine something happening to one of us when the other one of us was away. That would be the worst of all feelings :(

DH is not interested in cruising really so if I want to cruise I do it without him. He will come if I find someplace he really wants to go, but would prefer not to. So I take the kids. I used to travel for my job so we are rather used to it.

I wouldn't miss DH on ship days because he spends days working out, steam rooming, playing basketball, running, while I like to go to ship organized activities.

But I'd would miss DH at dinner time and during evening social events. He is outgoing and I am shy. Also, I need a dance partner. I also like sharing experiences and memories of port days with DH. So I probably would not cruise without DH.

Edited by nw2this

I have only done it once many years ago. I cruised with my Mom and Aunt. DH was not interested in going and this was kind of a last minute, good deal, "hey let's just do it" kind of cruise. Although I had a good time and really enjoyed my Mom's company - I missed DH every day and night. Especially at nighttime during dinner, dancing, etc. Good Luck with your decision.

I've been on 3 girls' only cruises and have a fourth one booked in January 2012. I love cruising with my DH, but I also love getting away with just the girls. By "girls", I mean women 50's to 70's.

With the girls, you can act silly, dance and have fun without the DH's rolling their eyes and thinking you have lost your mind!