Making Cuba a Port of Call

CruiseHealing

This is an old thread resurrected, but I am happy to say yes, yes, yes I would sign up for a land or cruise stop in Cuba. It is not possible to even say Cuba without political connotations, so let's dispense with that nonsense to begin.

It's a current topic with the immigration debate and the favor granted to the Miami Cubans and the whole economic sanctions thing. Time to end the insane political prohibition on free travel for US citizens. Talk of freedom by the Cuban expatriates makes me laugh at the hypocrisy of it.

I agree.

Every Cuba thread on CC gets taken over by folk with a political agenda, some spouting incorrect facts (Bay of Pigs was in retaliation for the missile crisis for instance. Just check those dates :rolleyes:).

There are two sides to the argument, for every comment about the Castro govermnent seizing assets without compensation there's a comment about the corrupt Batista government stealing from its people. But that whole political background is history now - you might as well turn any cruisers' thread about visiting Israel into a political debate about Palestine, 1948.

We spent a few days in Havana, a great place to visit. An air of decayed spanish colonialism, brown bars like Amsterdam, remnants (and only remnants) of communism, happy & friendly people, low crime-rate. And a wonderland for those interested in America cars of the 1950s, still doing sterling service as family transport & taxis.

One thing that made me laugh - though it should have made me cry. George W included Cuba in his "Axis of Evil". Along with N Korea, Iran, Iraq, Libys & Syria. Unbelieveable :rolleyes:

The lifting of the embargo would be good for Cuba & good for the US. And a popular destination for cruise ships.

Just MHO

JB :)

I don`t want to sound political but, except for the USA, I don`t know of any other nation that prevents their people from going there?

We United Statesians are too stupid to make such decisions, but our brilliant government is capable of protecting us from our own stupidity.:rolleyes:

But, yes, I think it would be a great place to visit, as mentioned, I love the 50's cars ...... think it would be an interesting stop.

I also like Cuban cigars.

We United Statesians are too stupid to make such decisions, but our brilliant government is capable of protecting us from our own stupidity.:rolleyes:

But, yes, I think it would be a great place to visit, as mentioned, I love the 50's cars ...... think it would be an interesting stop.

I also like Cuban cigars.

Our first international trip with children was to Cuba. Since we are Canadian, it is fairly easy to get there :)

While I can appreciate the Cuban-American and Canadians who choose not to return at this time, to me it is no different than visiting any other country where I do not agree with their political system. However, I am interested in visiting their country, learning about their history and meeting their people, who were overly hospitable and made our trip memorable. When we went to Cuba we tipped generously (even though it was an all inclusive, one of our dining room servers told us we tipped him the equivalent of a month's salary), and left items such as soap, toothpaste, crayons, colouring books and even our travel mugs! I know many Canadians do the same, some of our neighbours organize collections of baseball equipment, medical supplies and other items that are given directly to local people when they visit. The Cuban beaches are the best I've ever seen, and I've been to more than a few beaches around the world.

As a cruise port, I can see people enjoying tours of the cities and trips to the beach. I would definitely go on a cruise that included Cuba as a port.

Your right there are alot of great islands to sail to, but a new port is always good. The reason I asked the questions was because I was on Google Earth and was looking at the beautiful blue waters and nice beaches. So, I wonder what other cruisers thought.

My cousin lived in Cuba for several years when her Navy Husband was stationed at Guantanamo Bay years ago and she always said what a beautiful country it was.

Yes, I guess I would love to stop in Cuba for a day but I would love to see the beauty of the country like she saw it and not the poorer, slum sections that we usually see in the Caribbean ports.

Having been to Cuba for 3 all inclusive resort vacations, my guess is that Americans would be welcomed with open arms.

Tourist workers are probably the highest paid jobs in Cuba and they love tourists. We all know that Americans tip well, why would the ordinary Cuban object? :) Leave the politicians out of the equation and I'm sure everything would be just fine.

Politics aside, people are people no matter where they're from. As an example, look at all the Russian hockey players now playing in the NHL. Nobody sees them as the big Communist monsters anymore. They get along with their team mates and are cheered whenever they make a good play.

I Love it! You are True Canadians!

You find a way to bring hockey into a discussion about Cuba.:D

Lois

A fellow Canadian and Hockey lover!

I would love to visit Cuba as a cruise port. No, I would not pay a premium for it.

Any American can currently visit Cuba so long as it's a person-to-person learning experience--you're not allowed to just hang out at the beach, water sports, or do any souvenier shopping. But these land-based vacations are far too expensive to seriously consider for us.

Can you please define free?

Well, an end to the communist rule would be a good start. I believe that a representative,democratic government by free and open election is what would bring the most opportunity to the Cuban people. Right now they have no choice on how they are governed.

Well, an end to the communist rule would be a good start. I believe that a representative,democratic government by free and open election is what would bring the most opportunity to the Cuban people. Right now they have no choice on how they are governed.

How about China Russia?

How about China Russia?

I have not, and do not care to travel to either of those countries. I don't believe that is the topic of the thread either. The opinions that I have posted on this thread are simply that....opinions, which are my right to state as I wish. I do not want to engage in a debate. I respect others opinions on this subject. Please see my previous post, # 91 on this thread for my full perspective on the subject. I do, however, believe that I have a unique perspective as a first generation Cuban-American. It does not make my opinion more or less valid than the opinions of others. It just lends to a different perspective.

My cousin lived in Cuba for several years when her Navy Husband was stationed at Guantanamo Bay years ago and she always said what a beautiful country it was.

Yes, I guess I would love to stop in Cuba for a day but I would love to see the beauty of the country like she saw it and not the poorer, slum sections that we usually see in the Caribbean ports.

Navy personnel, and their dependents, stationed at Guantanamo Bay are not seeing much of Cuba. Yes, they are on the island of Cuba, but on territory of the United States, living among US personnel and not Cubans -- they do not travel outside the Guantanamo perimeter, but they can look into a fairly barren part of Cuba through the barbed wire fence.

I would love to visit Cuba as a cruise port. No, I would not pay a premium for it.

Any American can currently visit Cuba so long as it's a person-to-person learning experience--you're not allowed to just hang out at the beach, water sports, or do any souvenier shopping. But these land-based vacations are far too expensive to seriously consider for us.

That, in itself, is suprising... Cuba is one of the least expensive vacations for us.

Archived