cruise director-January 3, 2011

stewart -carol

Hi beldavenport, I was really pleased to see your review of your Marina Caribbean cruise. We are going on 4th Feb Caribbean Pearls on Marina & I was beginning to think no English people at all cruised with Oceania ! I completely endorse what you say about the lack of customer service for UK passengers, I have been getting fed up reading about the free air fare, on board credits & cabin upgrade offers which all seem to be standard for US guests while for us it was hard enough just finding TAs who booked Oceania. It's our 1st time on Oceania & my husband is a bit concerned about the shower in our B4 cabin - he is 6' 7" ! Will he fit ? Also were there any people in 40s & 50s on board ?

Don't Panic, but I honestly don't believe that anyone that tall WILL fit in the shower of a B4.

182806.jpg

If it is an issue, please let him know that the public showers adjoining the gymnasium and the steam rooms are far more spacious.

Have a fantastic cruise!

We've encountered a good number of British and Australian passengers on our Oceania cruises (as well as other nationalities). Far more than was the case in Renaissance's days.

From what I have heard, very tall people have managed in the shower but I couldn't say personally since I'm far shorter than your husband!

I sympathize with the non-North American passengers in terms of the benefits we get. Perhaps there is a rationale for not doling out OBC, free gratuities, and the like -- although I fail to see one. But I will never understand why Oceania doesn't assist non-NA passengers in terms of allowing them to use US-based travel agents. All they are doing is permitting somebody to have a monopoly, which is NEVER to the passengers' benefit.

There are plenty of cruises that have 40-50 somethings aboard, you just can't predict ahead of time which they will be.

Our Midnight Sun cruise in July 2010 was perhaps the "oldest" cruise we've been on, which surprised me since there were activities onshore that were for the very active. And I've never seen so many wheelchairs, canes and walkers on an Oceania cruise as I did there. Someone suggested it was because many of these older passengers (and I'm in that category now myself) have been everywhere else. I have no idea if that was the case or not but the average age was definitely higher than I've seen in the past.

Mura

Mura, We recently returned from a Panama Canal cruise on Regatta and experienced the same situation - more wheelchairs and electric carts than on any of our other O cruises. We're in our 50's and found plenty of people our age and activity level to share our cruise, however, so it was a non-issue. I was also amazed at the number of 70 and 80-somethings who were singles onboard, and out dancing and having a great time. Hope I'm that active and alive when (if?) I reach their age!

Thanks Jim&Stan & Mura - I don't think I will tell my husband about the showers it will make him grumpy !! As far as the age thing goes we love meeting people of all ages but were just a bit concerned that by 11pm we might be sitting in empty bars ! Anyway after many years of cruising with Princess , RCCL & P&O we are really looking forward to trying something different & will post a 1st timers review when we get back.

Jorich,

Doesn't your husband encounter the shower problem in hotels and such? I'm about 5'5" and I have sometimes encountered showerheads that seemed a mile above me, but usually I can reach them! Ah well, he will manage!

As to the "everybody goes to bed early" situation, I can't really say what you'll find in a bar at 11pm except that you probably wouldn't find me! But that is more because my husband isn't a drinker so we don't do the bar scene. But we tend to have dinner on the late side and often don't get out of the restaurant until around 10pm. If we see a show, we're still up by 11 ... just not in a bar!

But I can't believe you won't find ANYBODY around at that hour.

Bear in mind that on a port intensive cruise many people will have early departures the next day, whether for their own tour or a ship's tour, and for that reason alone may want to get to bed on the early side. (By early I don't mean 9 o'clock!)

Have a great time despite us old fogies!

Mura

Mura I am quite sure you are not an old fogey & we are looking forward to meeting fellow cruisers of all ages ! We choose American cruise lines partly because you are all so friendly & love to have a good time.

Richard has managed in quite tiny showers on other cruise ships but I was worried because there have been so many posts about the inadequate size of Marina's showers. Like you I am 5'5" so have no problem but for me it will be the height of luxury to have a bath without having to pay for a suite to get one !

Jo

Then Jo, you and I remain in the minority regarding the value of a bath tub! For space considerations I still prefer a tub-shower combo but I can see where not everyone wants to climb INTO a tub in order to get a shower -- and maybe they can't do so.

I hope we can cruise together some day!

Mura

Be gentle with me, Pam

My cruise was just cancelled out from under me for the second consecutive time.

Everything I would have booked is already spoken for, but I'm still trying to get on the maiden.......

Gosh, that sounds RACY :rolleyes:

Wish me luck-

Be gentle with me, Pam

My cruise was just cancelled out from under me for the second consecutive time.

Everything I would have booked is already spoken for, but I'm still trying to get on the maiden.......

Gosh, that sounds RACY :rolleyes:

Wish me luck-

Oh, Jim, I just read this sad news. (I always read from the bottom up when returning to the boards after a time away from them). I am stunned and I hope you are able to rebook, as I just read that Don was able to do. As you know, we have been very happy in some very small cabins, so perhaps something you can adjust to will be available for you. And I certainly wish you luck.

Late night idea: the public areas are so very lovely on Marina, perhaps you can pitch a tent somewhere there on Riviera! :)

Archived