cruise director-January 3, 2011

stewart -carol

We are booked on "Islands in the Sun" leaving Jan 3, 2012.

Our document package indicated our cruise director is Nolan Jenkins.

Is he the same person as Nolan Dean who is receiving very mixed reviews?

There aren't any comments referring to a Nolan Jenkins on the boards, only references to the Nolan who is a comedian.

We have enjoyed Leslie Jon and David Shermet in the past and was hoping that either of them would be onboard. Leslie Jon was especially enjoyable as the trivia leader and his depiction of Tevya from Fiddler on the Roof on the last night.

Carol & Stewart

Carol & Stewart

Maybe he has a split personality :D

There was another thread where someone mentioned Nolan Jenkins but we have only had Nolan Dean on a cruise

Nolan Jenkins and Nolan Dean are one in the same person. I was on the transatlantic that was just written about and I enjoyed Nolan and his comedy. I didn't enjoy Roy, the assistant cruise director at all, so don't be guided by one person's opinion, make the judgement yourself.

As someone who hasn't always agreed with Laraine either, I don't think she intended to say that everyone will have agree with her about the CD! She was just voicing her opinion.

Personally (just speaking for DH and myself) we really don't care who is the CD because we don't do much on the ship that involves the CD other than maybe the morning announcements! But I know that for many people on a cruise the CD is a Very Important Person and so I understand the concern about who you will be sailing with.

It's true that in reading anyone's comments here about what he or she likes and dislikes, you really have to read between the lines. If the writer is someone you have never met, you really have no way of knowing if you will agree or not. But it's the exchange of ideas that counts.

I will say that I have found that when someone is extreme in comments (everything was bad or everything was fabulous, for example), I tend to discount the comments. I'll file them away for mental reference but I won't necessarily be guided BY them. Once I'm on board, I can make my judgments and see if I agree or disagree. But I don't think we've ever cancelled a cruise because of such comments!

Mura

There aren't any comments referring to a Nolan Jenkins on the boards, only references to the Nolan who is a comedian.

We have enjoyed Leslie Jon and David Shermet in the past and was hoping that either of them would be onboard. Leslie Jon was especially enjoyable as the trivia leader and his depiction of Tevya from Fiddler on the Roof on the last night.

Carol & Stewart

Nolan Dean is nothing like either Leslie or David -- if you like their style, as I do, you will likely not be a happy camper with Nolan as your CD. What is somewhat surprising is that I was told that Nolan was an assistant to Leslie for quite a while. He obviously did not learn much from the master.

And it is not just his personality and manner that are problematic -- he was a terrible manager of shipboard activities. Chaos and overcrowding reigned in many of the venues. He seemed clueless about what was happening on board and when guests brought the problems to his attention he was annoyed. A good CD is proactive and anticipates problems. He was purely reactive and only when prompted.

Well it just goes to show how you need to experience everything for yourself and make your own judgments. We were on Marina recently and we all really loved Nolan. I am still very fond of David but other than him, I have liked Nolan the best of any of our directors. So far I haven't encountered any that I haven't liked, but Nolan was extremely funny and had a great personality. And we found everything well organised.

Dottie, with her husband, is an excellent CD.

We had her on Regatta in Alaska this summer and was told she'd be on Marina when we sail in March.

Each CD does their own thing and we've been most pleased with most of them.

It's hard to pick a favorite, glad for the variety. Loved them all.

BTW Willie spells his name with 2 A's, there is a reason.

We have been with Dottie several times and she is great. We will also be on the Jan 23 Marina. Normally, we have little to do with the CD in general and don't care who they are, but she can sing!

Thanks for the information Capecodder2, see you onboard the Marina. Love the cape where are you from. :)

• 4 weeks later...

We cruised to the Baltics and Dottie was our CD on Azamara few years ago. we had little to do with her other then greetings at the gangway each morning and quick questions if we saw her in ports. She was friendly outgoing loved her role and guenuinely enjoyed interacting with us or anyone anytime we saw her in port etc.

Just off Christmas Cruise -Nolan really gave a great effort,one example had 90 presents xmas day for the young cruisers only 50 showed up! The parents on the cruise thought they were at Chucky Cheese ! If this keeps up Oceania is going to have a Rude awakening !Empty Cabins!!

Just off Christmas Cruise -Nolan really gave a great effort,one example had 90 presents xmas day for the young cruisers only 50 showed up! The parents on the cruise thought they were at Chucky Cheese ! If this keeps up Oceania is going to have a Rude awakening !Empty Cabins!!

They will have more cabins for the kids ;)

• 2 weeks later...

We had Willie Aames on a South American cruise and felt he did a great job. Always upbeat and friendly and seemed to be everywhere. He also had no problem making light of his past history and never seemed standoffish.

However, as others have said, we do not really care who the CD is as we have very little interaction with them except for an occasional greeting or the morning announcements.

Wouldn't Oceania be risking an an Age Discrimination Lawsuit if they were too vociferous in their discouragement of children ?

childcatcher23.jpg

No

They have a right to bar children completely and make it an adults only cruise line. In my dreams, of course.

Hi beldavenport, I was really pleased to see your review of your Marina Caribbean cruise. We are going on 4th Feb Caribbean Pearls on Marina & I was beginning to think no English people at all cruised with Oceania ! I completely endorse what you say about the lack of customer service for UK passengers, I have been getting fed up reading about the free air fare, on board credits & cabin upgrade offers which all seem to be standard for US guests while for us it was hard enough just finding TAs who booked Oceania. It's our 1st time on Oceania & my husband is a bit concerned about the shower in our B4 cabin - he is 6' 7" ! Will he fit ? Also were there any people in 40s & 50s on board ?

Archived