Second (!) government issued photo ID for a child needed (or not)?

European_CruiseGirl

An exciting day: our edocs are ready for our Jan Caribbean cruise on NCL and just received by mail an intruductory package with luggage tags etc. :D

I noticed that on the "Get ready to cruise" section they mention (and I quote):

"During most cruises, NCL personnel will need to retain your passport. You therefore have to carry a second government-issued photo ID with you at all times. It is the sole responsibility of the guest to provide all necessary documentation. Guests are not entitled to a refund if entry into any foreign territory or boarding is denied for lack of proper documents."

Whaaaat! I have a passport for my DD (3yrs) but should I now get her another government issued photo ID also? DH and I have our passports as well as our drivers licences which are government issued photo ID's but of course our DD does not have a drivers licence. :rolleyes:

I will of course comply in every single way the cruiseline says I need to but this is totally something new to me so I'm asking you experts: Do you take two government issued photo ID's for your children with you to your cruises? And is it "normal" for the cruiseline to retain the passports during the cruise and not give them back when passengers get onshore? I would in any case hate the idea to leave my passport on the ship while I'm onshore - if something happened and I would not be able to board the ship I would be stuck on the other side of the world without my passport. Not a nice idea.

I comply in every single way the cruiseline says I need to but this is totally something new to me so I'm asking you experts:will of course Do you take two government issued photo ID's for your children with you to your cruises?

No, it's not required.

And is it "normal" for the cruiseline to retain the passports during the cruise and not give them back when passengers get onshore? I would in any case hate the idea to leave my passport on the ship while I'm onshore - if something happened and I would not be able to board the ship I would be stuck on the other side of the world without my passport. Not a nice idea.

For a Caribbean cruise? No. For the Med? Yes. You don't need to take your passport off the ship anyway. If you get don't return to the ship on time, it will be taken off the ship and left with the port authorities.

No, it's not required.

For a Caribbean cruise? No. For the Med? Yes. You don't need to take your passport off the ship anyway. If you get don't return to the ship on time, it will be taken off the ship and left with the port authorities.

Thanks. :) Very much appreciated for all the information!

Caribbean might be for us the same as Mediterranean would be for you folks as we are from Europe. :) I would feel ok in Mediterranean without my passport but not in Caribbean.

Thanks. :) Very much appreciated for all the information!

Caribbean might be for us the same as Mediterranean would be for you folks as we are from Europe. :) I would feel ok in Mediterranean without my passport but not in Caribbean.

If you want to take your passport off the ship, even if they hold it for you to clear immigration at the different ports, they still should give it to you when you want it. You just may have to return it when you get back onboard.

Archived