2 for 1 and Free Econ Air

Morrey

Never Been on Oceania.

How long does Oceania "Usually" run the 2 for 1 and Free Air Specials.

Thanks.

The is no "usually". It all depends on how quickly the ships fill up. Sometimes the 2 for 1 offer runs right up to the sailing date, at other times it is withdrawn at 8 months out.

Never Been on Oceania.

How long does Oceania "Usually" run the 2 for 1 and Free Air Specials.

Thanks.

2for1 and free air IS the NORMAL fare for Oceania (clever advertising - obviously people still "fall" for it, which is what Oceaniia is hoping for).

The 2for1 is a 50% discount from their astronomical "brochure" fare that nobody pays - thus this is their normal fare. This fare is often further discounted by TAs.

"Free Air" is not free at all - it is included in your rpice. If you choose to buy your own tickets (or fly for miles) you get a refund (amount varies based on where you are flying to/from)

If the sailing you are interested in becomes very popular they have been known to change the 2 for 1 pricing to 40% off of brochure price or some other percentage off. For example, there are a lot of sailings that are being advertised now that the fine print says the 2 for 1 price ends December 31, 2011. That could be true or not true depending on the status of the bookings and how far out final payment is. If 2 for 1 does end on the sailing you are interested in, it could go to 40% off instead. Everything is dependent on the number of cabins left for sail and their statistics on the number of people who might cancel before sailing. On our second Oceania cruise we decided on our cruise at the "last minute" by Oceania's standards and paid the 40% off price instead of getting the 2 for 1 price. My opinion is that if you are interested in a specific sailing book it, you can always change your mind before final payment.

We were ones who never made plans a long way out but Oceania has changed the way we book cruises with them and we haven't sailed with anyone else since our first Oceania cruise and we are getting ready to take number nine. It just takes a different mind set.

As Paul says don't be fooled by 2 for 1. For the life of me I don't understand why anyone falls for that marketing gimmick. Imagine a Toyota which normally sells for $30,000 being marketed as 2 for 1 at $60,000 and that's what you have here.

If O felt that their advertising of "2 for 1 and free air" wasn't working they would change it. Empty cabins are a great motivator.

I agree but it is misleading (at best).

Don't want to start a whole new discussion on this subject as it has been discussed extensively here before, but I think it would be more appropriate (and honest) to say "Air Included" instead of "Free Air" (which it obviously isn't). :)

I don't really give a hoot what their advertising says. I look at all the costs, all the potential credits and determine the bottom line. The costs are what they are, regardless of what they call them, and the only other thing to determine is perceived value. Oceania continues to meet or exceed my perception of value, no matter what they call it.

Don,

Obviously you are a very experienced and knowledgeable Oceania customer, as are many of us here. We know what 2for1 and free air means.

Equally obviously, the OP is not familiar with Oceania and was not clear about the meaning of the advertisement; and others who are new to Oceania may be equally confused. "Air included in the price" would obviate that potential confusion and would not be as misleading as "Free air" is.

Paul

Don,

Obviously you are a very experienced and knowledgeable Oceania customer, as are many of us here. We know what 2for1 and free air means.

Equally obviously, the OP is not familiar with Oceania and was not clear about the meaning of the advertisement; and others who are new to Oceania may be equally confused. "Air included in the price" would obviate that potential confusion and would not be as misleading as "Free air" is.

Paul

I hate to put it this crassly, but I'd bet that the confusion that you speak of is exactly what the Ad Agency ordered.

It gets Oceania "noticed" by educated savvy travelers who know better than to expect a free lunch, and market visibility was 80% of what they were going for in the beginning. Whatever we think about these Ads, they DO get people talking.

Archived