Can You Bring Spices On Board From Ports?

Delta Dear

I know many islands have spice markets or spice vendors. Are you allowed to bring spices back on the ship with you ? If you buy them, must they be sealed and should you bring ziplock bags to put the spices in ?

I'm sure you can easily slip small quanitites of spices in a purse or beach bag etc. but I'm just curious about whether or not it is "allowed."

Why in the world would it be "not allowed"???

Cruise lines look for weapons, booze, & potential fire hazards.

Weapons for obvious reasons and liqour because it is their biggest money maker and it cuts into the profits.

Most of the fire hazard things are a joke but a small % of the population are not that bright so they just ban stuff for everyone.

Somehow people on this site have conditioned many people that almost everything is prohibitied for no particular reason.

I think someone recently asked if they can bring shampoo..... Come on man.

I know many islands have spice markets or spice vendors. Are you allowed to bring spices back on the ship with you ? If you buy them, must they be sealed and should you bring ziplock bags to put the spices in ?

I'm sure you can easily slip small quanitites of spices in a purse or beach bag etc. but I'm just curious about whether or not it is "allowed."

https://help.cbp.gov/app/answers/detail/a_id/82/session/L3NpZC9aTm43S3hMaw%3D%3D/search/1

-Spices- most dried spices are allowed except for orange, lemon, lime and other citrus leaves and seeds, lemongrass, and many vegetable and fruit seeds

The question should be, what is allowed by customs back into the USA.

For example, you cannot bring in fruit. You cannot bring in spices that were not sealed for export.

Funny on the CBP listing that is not specified as it is for other items.

https://help.cbp.gov/app/answers/detail/a_id/82/session/L3NpZC9aTm43S3hMaw%3D%3D/search/1

Yes, you could, but unless it's something you can't purchase locally at your own supermarket, or because the container would make a good souvenir, why would you want to? And yes, they must be sealed. A ziplock baggie of oregano might raise some suspicion.:rolleyes:

When I was in St. Maarten in March 2009, I brought back peppercorns, oregano, and basil. All were in ziplock baggies. I put them in my suitcase and received no questions from customs. I was curious if they would question the oregano and basil since they resembled bags of weed, but all they had to do was smell them to know they were legitimate.

Julie

I usually bring back bottles of vanilla, but am more hesitant about spices in baggies because I don't know if they're pure or adulterated. Anything that can create agricultural problems in the US are prohibited, such as seeds, or leaves that could contain a fungus.

Vanilla is usually a good buy, though, especially in Mexico.

Shopped in Marigot and purchased several spices. Like you, I was a little concerned that customs may think I'm dealing in weed. No questions, issues or anything on both cruises. All spices were placed in labeled, snack size zip lock baggies. Ya know, like a dime bag size. LOL. Need to get back there soon.:D

I only bring back spices that are packaged and labeled, or in bottles with labels, and preferably security sealed. I dont bring back anything that is loose, also because I dont want it opening up and spillling all over my luggage. I have however in the past, while on vacation in Barbados and St Lucia, done so, but that was years ago, and as I get older, I get more wary of that sort of thing. JMHO.

Shopped in Marigot and purchased several spices. Like you, I was a little concerned that customs may think I'm dealing in weed. No questions, issues or anything on both cruises. All spices were placed in labeled, snack size zip lock baggies. Ya know, like a dime bag size. LOL. Need to get back there soon.:D

My father is a retired customs officer, and believe me they know by sight and by smell whether it is spice or the wacky weed. My only concern with loose spices are that it will open up and spill in my luggage, and also hygenic issues. They do have some great spices though in the islands.:)

Archived