Star - Category SB - Owner's Suite w/2 Balconies

luv2sweat

I was wondering if anyone had any experience with the Category SB - Owner's Suites on the Star. We just moved up from a 2 BR Family Suite (SC) for our March cruise. There will be three of us in the suite. I know the suite can accommodate four, so I was wondering what the sleeping arrangements are. Obviously the two beds in the bedroom, but where does the third person go: upper berth, sofa bed and is the sofa bed in the bedroom or living area.

Thanks for your help.

Wendy

We were in 10506, deck 10 port Owners Suite...it was after the drydock refurb, but before the cabin capacity was increased to 3 or 4. The only place for the third person would really be in the living room. The deck 10 OS's are larger than those on 9...they are huge. There is only one bed and it cannot be separated into two...and it sure seemed larger than a kingsize. There is quite a bit of space in the bedroom....there is room around the bed, a 'setee/chaise' kind of beddy bench, an upholstered chair, and a desk with chair and it is NOT crowded. The full bath is ENORMOUS!! with double sinks.

The living room is quite big also with [at the time] two not so comfortable loveseats and an 'arty' chair. There is a separate dining alcove with a good sized dining table and chairs. The side covered balcony is long and narrow with another table for four and some chairs. The front balcony is huge but uncovered and open to the elements so pretty uncomfortable when sailing full speed in open waters. However, lying on the chaises at night, you can see thousands of stars. If you have a 'smartphone,' you can get one of the apps that will i.d. whatever's in the night sky. The second bath is a 1/4 bath with toilet and sink. The only place for the third person would be the living room on either a roll in cot or possibly one of those large foldout chairs that were recently placed in other suites [we saw one on the Pearl in our cabin in September and it's ok for one only, wouldn't even work for 2 kids]. If your third is a baby, I'm sure you'll find space in your room for the crib. If you are in 10506, be warned....that is the Picasso Suite that is now somewhat delapidated; the decor is SO over the top it is amusing. We loved the space so we pretended not to see what it looked like. The carpet may have been replaced....but it was a BOLD flowered somethingorother not too long ago. It is a great way to sail. When we went from the OS to a penthouse, we felt like we were in a teeeeeeny cabin. The OS spoiled us so now we're booking large suites. ENJOY!!!!

Thank you for all the information. It will be interesting figuring out the sleeping arrangements for the three of us. It's three generations of women. Me, my mother and my daughter. I may have to share the bed with DD. But to be in such a great suite it's worth it. Last year my mom and I were in a suite on the Pacific Princess that had a bed that didn't separate. I planned to sleep on the sofa bed. Our cabin steward was having none of that and took the bed out and put it in a cabin that wanted one bed and brought two twins in! And we didn't even ask! Maybe we will be lucky again. If not, we'll manage.

Thanks again for all the great info.

Wendy

I have visited that very suite, it is amazing! It connects to the forward penthouse next door, 10502. That would take care of the extra bed!

One thing we discovered, when you select the three bottles of liquor, ask for what you want and your butler will try to get it for you.

I think the vodka on the list is Teacher's, but we asked for Grey Goose and we got it! The butler will always do his best for you if you have a nice chat on day one. For example, we asked for some specific snacks every day and we were accomodated.

We have found that if you are reasonable, the butler and concierge really love to be of service.

Have a great cruise in that awesome suite!

I have visited that very suite, it is amazing! It connects to the forward penthouse next door, 10502. That would take care of the extra bed!

The balcony adjacent to the OS also has a connecting door and would be less expensive than the penthouse suite. It doesn't have all the suite perks but can "share" any perks within the OS.

We were in 10506, deck 10 port Owners Suite...it was after the drydock refurb, but before the cabin capacity was increased to 3 or 4. The only place for the third person would really be in the living room. The deck 10 OS's are larger than those on 9...they are huge. There is only one bed and it cannot be separated into two...and it sure seemed larger than a kingsize. There is quite a bit of space in the bedroom....there is room around the bed, a 'setee/chaise' kind of beddy bench, an upholstered chair, and a desk with chair and it is NOT crowded. The full bath is ENORMOUS!! with double sinks.

The living room is quite big also with [at the time] two not so comfortable loveseats and an 'arty' chair. There is a separate dining alcove with a good sized dining table and chairs. The side covered balcony is long and narrow with another table for four and some chairs. The front balcony is huge but uncovered and open to the elements so pretty uncomfortable when sailing full speed in open waters. However, lying on the chaises at night, you can see thousands of stars. If you have a 'smartphone,' you can get one of the apps that will i.d. whatever's in the night sky. The second bath is a 1/4 bath with toilet and sink. The only place for the third person would be the living room on either a roll in cot or possibly one of those large foldout chairs that were recently placed in other suites [we saw one on the Pearl in our cabin in September and it's ok for one only, wouldn't even work for 2 kids]. If your third is a baby, I'm sure you'll find space in your room for the crib. If you are in 10506, be warned....that is the Picasso Suite that is now somewhat delapidated; the decor is SO over the top it is amusing. We loved the space so we pretended not to see what it looked like. The carpet may have been replaced....but it was a BOLD flowered somethingorother not too long ago. It is a great way to sail. When we went from the OS to a penthouse, we felt like we were in a teeeeeeny cabin. The OS spoiled us so now we're booking large suites. ENJOY!!!!

Thanks for all the info - we are in that cabin in Jan !

I was wondering if anyone had any experience with the Category SB - Owner's Suites on the Star. We just moved up from a 2 BR Family Suite (SC) for our March cruise. There will be three of us in the suite. I know the suite can accommodate four, so I was wondering what the sleeping arrangements are. Obviously the two beds in the bedroom, but where does the third person go: upper berth, sofa bed and is the sofa bed in the bedroom or living area.

Thanks for your help.

Wendy

Just came off the Dawn (sister ship) and OS #9506. Although we did not use it, I believe the couch in the living room makes up into a bed if needed. With the half bath in the living room, it should be very convenient for 3 people. I would think 2 in the bedroom, 1 on the sofa bed.

The only drawback to those sleeping in the living room will be the early morning sunlight (if you're the kind of sleeper who prefers a dark room). We found it impossible to get the curtains over the two balcony doors to close completely...there was always an opening at one end or the other and the morning sun would come streaming in.

Fortunately, the bedroom has curtains over the connecting doors to the living room, so the bedroom could be made very dark, as long as you remembered to also close the bathroom door.

Other than those very minor points, you'll love the space and the luxury!

We were in 10506 in March 2010 as well.

Think large.

Our kids and grandkids sailed in inside cabins across the hall.

Our Master bathroom was larger than their cabin!

The forward balcony is unshaded and not sheltered from the wind. I doubt that I spent 15 minutes out there the entire week, but the grandkids loved it for sunning....although the two teenaged girls were...um..."disconcerted" when I mentioned to them that anyone at the helm had a great view of them tanning....

The side balcony (although a "bit" narrow) is most certainly large enough for four to sit and several more to stand and lean against the railing, and is well sheltered from both the sun and the wind. We spent many hours out there.

You'll (at least we did) have 3 TV's, one in the main room, one in the bedroom, and one in the bathroom over the Jacuzzi tub.

It has a bar, and of course a great coffee maker.

We had no problem having all nine of us in the cabin at a time....lots of room!

I would suspect that you will love it!

Archived