Kilauea is spilling lava into the sea again!

flamomo

I just checked the USGS website for Hawaii Volcanoes, and there are a couple of photos posted yesterday of lava flowing into the ocean. It had stopped some months ago.

For those cruising to Hawaii, it may be possible to witness this if the Captain elects to do an evening sail-by. It is an awesome sight!!

478431484_KilueaLavaflowintothesea.jpg.78c537a3d5495e5c5ab3e3a7e7b39d0c.jpg

1344405351_Lavaflow12-13-11.jpg.642a79b5e7a8387a39121e8253a36498.jpg

We did it years ago and our Captain "sat" in front of the lava flowing into the ocean for over an hour. It was truly awesome.

We have another Hawaii cruise planned for next November. I chose this ship/itinerary because we have an evening sail past the lava. I hope it is still flowing then, it is something I am looking forward to seeing once again.

I am happy to sea the lava flow is making it to the coast again. But I don't want to get too excited yet since our cruise is not till September. The ship does have a midnight cruise by if there is something to see. I will remain hopeful. :)

Bill

We were on the NCL Wind in 2005. We put in a request for the captain to start the lava flow for us to see at night. (There is a special "start" button at the bridge.)

Just as we were finishing dinner, I looked out the window, and saw some lights and the waitress said yes that's the island. We all ran out, and yes the captain did push the "start" button without telling us first. It was faint, but we could see the orange color light spots falling down to the sea. The ship was either not moving or moving slowly and we watched it for almost an hour.

Too bad we didn't bring binoculars. For the next POA cruise in Aug., we'll bring them. (Oh yes, we'll put in the request for the captain again.)

I just checked the USGS site for an update, and it sounds like the flow into the sea is sputtering a bit. Darn ... I was hoping it might last until we go in March. I'd sure love to see it on a night-time sail-by again

The hubbie and I just returned from POA this past Sunday. Dang if we didn't make a poor decision and not got up on deck for the lava sail-by. Our room attendant did and said it was spectacular. I bought the ship's professional photo of it.

We were tired from that day's excursion to VNP and it was pouring down rain!! All got soaked according to Franscisco our attendant. I thought it was going to be an orange ball in the distance but was told we were pretty close!!! Incredible, but we missed it. Oh well.

Had a fantastic wonderful time on our 12/10 ~ 12/17/2011 sailing.

We were also on the ship last week (hello bigtoeswin'n :)) and we did get to see the lava flow from our balcony. The captain went slowly and we got pretty close. We asked in the morning how close and they said we were only about 3/4 of a mile away. It was pretty cool, and there was quite a field of lava. We had an aft balcony, so we got to watch the sail away as well.

The hubbie and I just returned from POA this past Sunday. Dang if we didn't make a poor decision and not got up on deck for the lava sail-by. Our room attendant did and said it was spectacular. I bought the ship's professional photo of it.

We were tired from that day's excursion to VNP and it was pouring down rain!! All got soaked according to Franscisco our attendant. I thought it was going to be an orange ball in the distance but was told we were pretty close!!! Incredible' date=' but we missed it. Oh well.

Had a fantastic wonderful time on our 12/10 ~ 12/17/2011 sailing.[/quote']

Don't feel bad, We missed it in 2006, 2008 and 2010. Finally saw it this year in February before it stopped. In a month we go back again. Hope to see it one of the two weeks we sailby.

We were also on the ship last week (hello bigtoeswin'n :)) and we did get to see the lava flow from our balcony. The captain went slowly and we got pretty close. We asked in the morning how close and they said we were only about 3/4 of a mile away. It was pretty cool, and there was quite a field of lava. We had an aft balcony, so we got to watch the sail away as well.

Glad you enjoyed it. Did you get soaked, even on your balcony?

We did enjoy the Napali coast sailby, though.

Glad you enjoyed it. Did you get soaked' date=' even on your balcony?

We did enjoy the Napali coast sailby, though.[/quote']

We did get pretty wet, especially our feet. We were on the corner so everytime the ship rocked all the water from all the balconies on the aft would come and go from our balcony. Still completely worth it to sit in the rain and see it. The ranger at Volcano National Park that morning had said the only way to see lava then was to hike in, which was about 4 hours round trip. So glad I didn't have to do the hike and still got to see lava!

Archived