Delivery of wine case to cabin

wowpeople

On two different occasions I spoke with HAL phone reps re: how to get my case of wine onboard at embarkation, along with my other luggage.Both said I MUST PHYSICALLY carry it onboard myself,as longshoremen would NOT be allowed to deliver it to my cabin. After reading these posts, i see that many people DID have a case delivered with no problem. I am leaving from San Diego port ...could anyone verify info for me?

... as longshoremen would NOT be allowed to deliver it to my cabin.
Technically that's correct. Longshoremen put it onto a pallet and load the pallet onto the ship, then your steward delivers it to your cabin, like any other piece of luggage.

I was on Zuiderdam on 11/25 and was planning on taking wine on board myself then I hurt my back, so we went to total wine and them wrap up a case, added some more tape, gave the long shoreman a nice tip and wine showed up a few hours later in our suite. This saved us a ton of money plus we had a much better selections of wine over HALs list. ( even with the 18 dollar corkage, hal prices are about 400 percent over total wines)

We had our wine in a styrofoam inside, cardboard outside shipper box. We taped the luggage tags and fragile signs and had no problem. We did tip the longshoreman $5. The difficulty we faced was we weren't allowed to be dropped off on the pier where you can get the carts, but rather several 100 yards away, and had to manage our luggage and that large case of wine. It was worth it, though!

One idea to consider. You can also bring onboard more wine (and soda) at any of the ports you are visiting along the way. Less hassle on embarkation day plus you can try some wines you might not be able to find stateside.

DaveOKC

Archived