Need Expertise Please!

creasad

So as a christmas present we are looking to book a late May 2012 alaska vacation for my family (DH, DD (she will be 11 months), myself) as well as both sets of grandparents (both over 60 and this is to thanking them for helping babysit).

I am struggling with sticker shock and looking for your advise and recommendations as I have been procrastinating and its almost Christmas!

Ideally i would like trip to be no more than 2k a person (ideally 1500/pp). I am open to cruising and targetting Holland America out of seattle at the moment on Westerdam. My concerns are that we won't get to "see alaska" as the port of calls are short...

DH says we should just buy the cruise part and have the grandparents pay to get out there...i think this is like giving someone a shell of a car and then asking them to buy the engine....

please any advise - suggestions - anything would be helpful as i need to get this booked ASAP and the travel agent i tried well didn't see anything better than i could find online myself.:(

The conflicts with the money need to be addressed, before you get into any booking. Costs are going to be much higher, tours are "necessary" in my opinion, along with tips which range about$12pp.

Isn't everyone involved in this planning?? Do the others EXPECT you to pick up the entire tab? This needs to be honestly talked about. I would never sping any trip on anyone, without some discussion first, even if it's a gift.

The tips of $12 per person are per DAY for the duration of the cruise. Including the baby.

Actually a baby is a lot more work for the person who takes care of your room. You will also pay the full rate for the baby's trip unless the cruise line is running a special family rate.

thanks for the advice so far - i didn't want to come off as cheap however i do want to try my best to get the best deal as this is an important and memorable trip. Your posts do have me second guessing about the "surprise" factor....Both parents are retired and currently don't have anything booked at that time so i never thought they would mind someone giving them a trip. i really thought it would be more of a lottery moment and not something negative

Not sure if we/anyone can help, but it would be good for you to post your location and your choice of cruise configuration.

There are, basically, only two types of cruises to Alaska.

Round trips (usually out of Seattle, tho there are a couple in Vancouver)

One-way northbound or southbound.

If you set a fixed amount for each adult ($2000) that will allow for say, an inside cabin, then let each couple decide to take the minimum or allow them, at their cost, to pony up the difference to pay for an oceanview or balcony.

Also, any excursions can be at their discretion and expense.

This way you have covered the basic expenses and they can have their way with the extras and amenities.

thanks for the advice so far - i didn't want to come off as cheap however i do want to try my best to get the best deal as this is an important and memorable trip. Your posts do have me second guessing about the "surprise" factor....Both parents are retired and currently don't have anything booked at that time so i never thought they would mind someone giving them a trip. i really thought it would be more of a lottery moment and not something negative

If they don't know about it and it will be a surprise, I certainly would not be expecting them to pay much if anything. I also would be hesitant to commit myself to a cruise before breaking the news to others.

(Edited) "...I am struggling with sticker shock and looking for your advise and recommendations....please any advise - suggestions - anything would be helpful as i need to get this booked ASAP and the travel agent i tried well didn't see anything better than i could find online myself.:(

A cruise might not be the best choice of a family vacation for you. I would suggest you consider other options. As the father of eight children my experience was that an 11 month old baby will demand a large part of your attention even if a pod of whales is swimming along side or --- whatever.

Honestly your budget might be a tad low if you want to reallly see Alaska IMHO. :o The independent tours that we booked were what made the trip!! Other people we cruised with who just walked around the towns and keep it "low key" didn't have anywhere near the experience or memories we did. Again JMHO. IF you want to really see and experience the best of Alaska maybe you should try an rethink the finances or wait another year so you have more time to save....

I think you wanting to have a family trip and saying thank you by gifting that trip is very special. Alaska is our favorite destination. It is also a very expensive destination. As others have said, shore excursions cost a LOT and are needed to make the cruise as memorable a you would like it to be.

Have you considered a caribbean cruise? They are our least favorite destinations, but they give the the opportunity for family time. We go there for our family reunions. Choose a ship that will be part of the destination, not just your transportation. IMHO it would be easier to make it work to take your 11 month old along on a Caribbean cruise. Being from IN you might want to consideer a cruise out of Galveston - there are some new ships coming in to port there for 2012.

Consider saving Alaska for another year. We are taking each of our grandsons to Alaska as they turn 10.

Consider a "We Owe You One Cruise - Valued at up to $2000.00" note for Christmas and then everyone can have input as to destination, cost, scheduling.

Good Luck!

Archived