No inside smoking on the Infinity

Christine Frances

Good news! I wouldn't mind if the entire ship were made non-smoking. Smoking is a choice. And I chose not to smoke. And don't get me started on it being addictive. Smokers can chose to break that addiction if they wanted to. Both my parents did it, as well as several of my friends. If smokers chose to continue to smoke, that's their right. But it is not their right to affect my enjoyment of life by forcing me to deal with the second hand smoke and the unsightly cigarette butts found everywhere they congregate. Making the inside areas completely smoke free is a positive step forward.

Consider this: a smoker can use every venue on the ship. When they want to smoke, they can go to one of the designated smoking areas and then return to any venue. Those of us who want to avoid smoke from cigarettes are forced to avoid some of these venues if we don't want to encounter the smoke. It is patently unfair to non-smokers if we are forced to avoid areas that the smokers are using. They can enjoy 100% of the public areas. We can't.

If this is true, then it's wonderful! We spent less than 5 minutes in the Sky Lounge last cruise because it just smells in there. Worst part, is that afterwards, your clothes & hair smell too, we'd love to watch the dancers, & karaoke in there, but the need for fresh air wins out.

If you look at the deck plan of the Solsticized M class ships they all get rid of the port side of the "Sky" Lounge. It is now the Fun Factory for the kids (they replaced the fun factory on the back of the ship with 50+ new cabins). So there is no longer a port side (where smoking used to be allowed). Kind of hard to have smoking on the port side if there is no port side :)

The Hotel Director on the Silhouette recently told me that smoking would be eliminated from all of the "Sky" lounges (even S class ships) in 2012.

As others have posted, this is wonderful news. On our previous Solstice cruises, the Sky Lounge was the venue for the Elite cocktail hour. We had to line up 15 minutes before opening to ensure we got one of the window seats on the starboard side - not because we really wanted a window, but that was the most distant from the smoking area on the port side.

A non-smoking area of a room with a single ventilation system makes as much sense as a non-peeing area of a swimming pool.

And that is good news as well. HAL could take a lesson from other lines and join the 21st Century by not permitting smoking on balconies.

Amen!! After our 2 week cruise in Alaska last year on the Amsterdam and having to deal with secondhand smoke from neighboring balconies while trying to enjoy the pristine beauty, we made the decision to avoid HAL until they prohibit smoking on balconies. Maybe if enough people vote with their wallets, HAL will re-review their smoking policy.

and we hope it works out for Celebrity to continue down this path. It is one major reason we chose Celebrity (Constellation) for our first cruise. At the NYTimes travel show (March '11), we told the exhibit people from HAL and Cunard that it was the major reason we were not sailing with them. At that point HAL had ended smoking in cabins, but not on balconies. These cruise lines always give you several chances to fill out satisfaction questionnaires AFTER the cruise; we thought we'd be proactive and tell them why we would never make the opportunity to fill out a post cruise report with their current practices.

It was disturbing to witness the smoking by the crew in their areas during tours on the Constellation. I hope the lines offer smoking cessation programs for their personnel. I would never want to work on a ship with the heavy smoking which exists.

For some people it is an impossible habit to break, while others could do it if they tried. My mother was a heavy smoker, and toward the end of her life was in a coma for almost 6 months. That put an end to her smoking. Her facial skin cleared up from it's dirty sallowness - she looked more beautiful (pink tones & healthy) and had lost 10 yrs aging just before she died than I had seen her for the previous 20. A tragic thing to witness in a loved one.

For a person trying to quit, a non-smoking ship would be a good place to try. On the Connie, there was an acupuncturist who listed smoking cessation among her treatments.

Archived