DOUBLE Oasis - Miami Question

alphadog

We are sailing on Oasis in late May flying into MIA from LAX. Can anyone recommend a hotel near the airport AND transportation from the hotel to Port Everglades. I know there are shuttles from the airport but once I'm at the hotel I'd rather not go back into the belly of the beast.

Thanks in advance. DS

We just flew back to LAX from MIA. Precruise we stayed at the Miami Intercontinental (got a decent rate with LMT). The concierge got Go Shuttle for our trip to Port Everglades. $22 per person which was better than the $70-80 taxi fare. We ended up in a car with a driver and 4 passengers and made a stop at FLL before we were dropped at the port.

We walked to Trulucks for dinner - and lucky for us it was Sunday - Happy Hour all day in the bar with half priced drinks and some appetizers. We took the cruise line transfer at $29 per person back to MIA.

Just an idea. Why don't you take a taxi to Ft. Lauderdale when you get in and stay at a hotel there. There are lots of good ones.

Mty favorite is The Embassy Suites on 17th.

I agree, get off the plane & head to the Embassy. You can easily walk to food, grocery store & liquor :). They do now charge to get to the port the next morning (think $4 pp??) We already have it booked for our June Allure cruise.

BonVoyage

Dawna

Sheraton.

We stayed at the Sheraton Miami Airport in March and it was perfect for us - we had a late arrival (10pm) into MIA and it was super easy to catch their free shuttle to the hotel, check in, drop our bags and get to dinner before their restaurant closed (we're on West Coast time so it was dinnertime for us). The beds are comfortable and there was little, if any, airplane noise. The hotel has a nice gym and pool area if you want to burn off a few cruise calories in advance.:)

We're doing it again in December, and have hired a private car, South Florida Transportation, to take us to Port Everglades f. At $86 each way, it's comparable to a taxi but hopefully a lot more comfortable.

Thanks for all the great ideas. We don't get into Miami until 8:00 due to the west to east flights so figure we will take one of your recommendations and head off the next morning. Thanks again.

Alpha, I'd go to FLL when you arrive, 8 pm will feel early coming from the west coast, the cab ride in 30 minutes tops, ( about $90) probably less with no traffic that time of day. It is fun to wake up and and see your ship in port! The only thing is if you can shuttle for $22, as long as the room is comparably priced, that's a big savings!

Critterchick I like your idea too. I'm using miles for the hotel rooms so might as well stay at the Sheraton.

We used Starpoints for our stay. It's only a category 2 hotel, so it was cheap for points!

Alpha, I'd go to FLL when you arrive, 8 pm will feel early coming from the west coast, the cab ride in 30 minutes tops, ( about $90) probably less with no traffic that time of day. It is fun to wake up and and see your ship in port! The only thing is if you can shuttle for $22, as long as the room is comparably priced, that's a big savings!

Trust me, it won't feel early after 5 hours on an airplane, even if lucky enough to be in the front. We've made the trip a few times and we're always ready for a drink and dinner by the time we get our luggage. We've ridden up to FLL on the same days, and would much rather crash at the airport and then ride up in the morning.

Trust me, it won't feel early after 5 hours on an airplane, even if lucky enough to be in the front. We've made the trip a few times and we're always ready for a drink and dinner by the time we get our luggage. We've ridden up to FLL on the same days, and would much rather crash at the airport and then ride up in the morning.

Sorry I forget that for some 5 -6 hours is a long flight, We think of it as a short one, so I have a slightly different perspective;) OT- but hasn't flying just become awful!! You really do NEED a drink afterwards! Have a great trip!

i flew into flew and stayed at the la quinta. free shuttle to hotel. free shuttle ride to port. after you disembark, take taxi. It my best advice because we got off the ship late and the shuttle service was in a limbo to get us to the airport..

Baggageman we live in San Clemente which is just about half way between Los Angeles and San Diego. Unfortunately we have to fly out of LAX which has to be the WORST airport for any major US city. Fortunately we are flying in the front which helps take the edge off. I'm leaning toward staying near MIA because we are traveling with two 20 year old men/boys/children and they are a "pleasure" to travel with. I'd leave them home but you all know what happens when the cat is away.

Thanks for all the great advice. I'll run it past the boss this weekend and then she will tell me what my decision is.

Regards.

Archived