new to celebrity.. HELP!

mmbah214

Hi everyone!

My boyfriend and I recently signed up for our first celebrity cruise. this will be our 4th cruise, the first with carnival and the last 2 on RCCL, which we loved. After hearing all the rave about Celebrity, we decided to go for it! This is a last minute cruise for us, we reserved our room yesterday and are leaving in 3 weeks.

Anywho! Are there previous threads I can read to learn more about Celebrity? I do have some questions, You know, all the questions I should have researched before booking the cruise, lol.

DO they have something similar to RCCL my time dining?

Tips/ interesting facts about Eclipse?

any ice cream stations?

How is the food?

Also a general question, how does it feel to stay in an interior room? We have only experienced balcony rooms previously. THey had one Sky suite available and the rest were all interiors. My concern is not being able to any sunlight. ANy tips?

Thanks everyone!

We're new to Celebrity, too, so I can only speak to your question about inside rooms. Yes, it is a little strange not to have the sunlight. But it's really good for sleeping, especially those afternoon naps! Be sure to take a little flashlight or night light, and also a clock so you will know what time it is when you wake up in the morning!

One nice thing about Celebrity is they allow you to bring 2 bottles of wine per state room on board. They charge you a corkage fee if you take it to the dinning room. I brought the box wine and keep it in the room. Nice to have a glass of wine in your room. Inside room is fine have had many different types of rooms and spend so little time in them. I find I only go on the balcony for about 1 hr a day. Not sure it is worth it to pay so much for it. We just got off a cruise with an inside room and it was fine.

Hi everyone!

My boyfriend and I recently signed up for our first celebrity cruise. this will be our 4th cruise, the first with carnival and the last 2 on RCCL, which we loved. After hearing all the rave about Celebrity, we decided to go for it! This is a last minute cruise for us, we reserved our room yesterday and are leaving in 3 weeks.

Anywho! Are there previous threads I can read to learn more about Celebrity? I do have some questions, You know, all the questions I should have researched before booking the cruise, lol.

Tips/ interesting facts about Eclipse?

any ice cream stations?

How is the food?

Also a general question, how does it feel to stay in an interior room? We have only experienced balcony rooms previously. THey had one Sky suite available and the rest were all interiors. My concern is not being able to any sunlight. ANy tips?

Thanks everyone!

My hubby and I are new to Celebrity....we just took our first cruise on the Eclipse two weeks ago. It's a beautiful ship and we absolutely loved most aspects of our cruise. Some tips...well we came from Norwegian and I just don't know where to start with the tips. All of the food was delicious! We loved Bistro on Five and getting specialty coffees in the morning at Cafe al Bacio. They were well worth the extra price to us. Don't pay for the ice cream at the Gelateria...get it at the Oceanview Cafe....it's just as good and you don't pay for it. Another tasty option around 5:30 is the Oceanview's sushi. It was a little more ricey than our favorite home sushi restaurant but very tasty and fresh! Pasta bar was a personal favorite of mine. Loved a lot of the food in the Oceanview that we tried...very nice option if you don't feel like heading to the dining room after a long day. All the specialty restaurants are nice, but our favorite would be the very romantic Murano. Qsine is worth the money, but in our opinion it's a one time thing and we would only do it with a group. It was just too much food! Tuscan Grill was beautiful and everything that came out of the kitchen looked very tasty....our dinner was cooked to perfection. Beautiful views as the Tuscan is on the aft.

We loved the sophisticated feel of Celebrity and the fact that the ship never felt crowded. Our favorite bar was the Molecular bar......fortunately it was never as busy as the Martini bar which tends to be a little more active. Lots of things to do....be sure to read your Celebrity dailies and highlight the things you enjoy!

As for the interior room, I have stayed on them on other ships and what I can tell you is if you like to sleep, you will have no problem....you're on a cruise and you once up you can head to the outdoors. We opt for the balcony because we don't cruise that often, but I imagine that we could do them again if the price was right and we were just going on the spur of the moment.

I know that my RCI Crown Club transfers over to Celebrity but can I use Visa points for OBC? Also, can we bring soda onboard?

No, the RCI Visa card is for RCI cruises only, not other RCCL brands.

Your RCI Crown & Anchor status will be recognized by Celebrity's Captain's Club if you are at least Platinum level (you will be awarded equivalent status with Captain's Club, but your cruise on Celebrity will not add to your Crown & Anchor points).

Yes, you can bring soda on Celebrity as well as any other non-alcoholic beverages you want and two bottles per wine per stateroom (for the wine, this is only allowed on boarding day).

Hi everyone! My boyfriend and I recently signed up for our first celebrity cruise. Tips/ interesting facts about Eclipse? any ice cream stations? How is the food? Also a general question, how does it feel to stay in an interior room? We have only experienced balcony rooms previously. THey had one Sky suite available and the rest were all interiors. My concern is not being able to any sunlight. ANy tips? Thanks everyone!

In June, we did our first cruise with Celebrity. It was on the Eclipse's sister-ship, the Solstice. Basically, the same, for features, style, offerings, etc. We didn't do an interior room, but there are so many different public areas for walking around, hanging-out, etc., that give you lots of great options to see the world sail by, enjoy the outdoors and views, etc. Below are some of my visual examples. Look through my live/blog and you can see many more pictures, details on brunch buffet, evening shows, food, etc., etc.

In the Oceanview Cafe, there is a nice ice cream place with lots of "goodies". Don’t be shy and feel free to comment and/or ask any questions of interest. These ships are innovative, yet simple—clean and crisp with an edgy vibe that is very classy . . . and modern!

Check this link for lots of Speciality Dining Photos/Tips:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1434523&page=2

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Back from a June 7-19 Solstice cruise from Barcelona that had stops in Villefranche, ports near Pisa and Rome, Naples, Kotor, Venice and Dubrovnik. Enjoyed great weather and a wonderful trip. Dozens of wonderful visuals with key highlights, tips, comments, etc., on these postings. We are now at 52,644 views for this live/blog re-cap on our first sailing with Celebrity and much on wonderful Barcelona. Check these postings and added info at:

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1426474

For entertainment in the Solstice Theatre, it was called “Solstice -- The Show” featuring a European-style dance, air acts, music, etc. Eclipse does a show like this one. Very dramatic and interesting as they swing, twirl and soar over the audience and stage. Here is one example of the “air show” put on by the show performers.:

SolsticeAirShowFinalTwo.jpg

Many times at the pool, the “party band” is going at it with great tunes, adding to the fun and excitement around the pool area.:

SolsticePartyBandAtPool.jpg

I liked to ride one of the eight glass elevators in the mid-ship courtyard with nice views out to the different floors, enjoying the ship architecture, people being active, etc.:

SolsticeElevatorsGlassHighView.jpg

For the handy and quick Oceanview Cafe buffet, here is one visual sample showing how large and open are these various serving areas. This area includes getting items from the pizza-pasta bar area, various hot and cold items, free tea and juice machines, etc.:

SolsticeOceanviewBuffet1.jpg

The Solarium was one of our favorite areas on the Solstice. Food and drinks were nearby and it was very relaxed and sophisticated. Quieter, too, as it is an adults-only area. Two hot tubs here. Not crowded, especially in the evenings. Nice art and design are there as a part of this sparkling ship facility.:

SolsticeSolariumSunnyDay.jpg

When the sun was setting as the Solstice sailed from Rome to Naples, here was the visual on the back lawn on the ship’s top, back level. Dramatic and beautiful!!:

SolsticeSunsetBackLawn.jpg

OP - don't forget to join the Roll Call for your sailing. DH and I did that for our first Celebrity cruise and it made the cruise that much better. We saw someone from our Roll Call just about everywhere! We felt like we were cruising with all our lifelong friends!

Thanks Terry!!! Awesome pictures! I'm sure the specialty restaurants were at a cost right? Is there a list of prices somewhere on the internet?

Appreciate the super nice comments on the pictures. YES, there is added cost for these speciality places. Don't know your budget flexibility, but we found these three places to offer very nice, added variety for our cruise. Ours was a 12-day cruise and these options helped make things more interesting and scheduling flexibility on such a cruise. They upped some of the prices in September for Murano at the high end up to an added $40 charge. Silk Harvest stayed at $25 as I recall. On our cruise, they should offer some special packages to consider. Those pricings are based on how many advance reservations they have and their needs to fill up these places. Check and ask when you get on the ship. They don't post these prices in advance or on the web. Below are some added visual samples to get you excited about your many good cruise options to consider with Celebrity.

Back from a June 7-19 Solstice cruise from Barcelona that had stops in Villefranche, ports near Pisa and Rome, Naples, Kotor, Venice and Dubrovnik. Enjoyed great weather and a wonderful trip. Dozens of wonderful visuals with key highlights, tips, comments, etc., on these postings. We are now at 52,644 views for this live/blog re-cap on our first sailing with Celebrity and much on wonderful Barcelona. Check these postings and added info at:

Here is an overview for this wonderfully appointed Murano room with nice wood, ceiling, glass, etc., details. Maximum capacity for seating in 90. For the last night, they have 30 people on a waiting listing. We booked ahead which was smart in order to get a specific date on a sea day. The added charge for dining here was $35 per person. That cost has gone up to $40 now:

MuranoRoomOverview.jpg

The “Creamy Maine Lobster Bisque” is one of their most popular starter items at Murano. It is far different from what is served on the rest of the Solstice. It involves seven hours prep time for the different items. The broth is poured into your bowl with nice drama . . . and great taste. There are ten different starter options. You can have as many courses of starters as you wish. I had a second starter of Diver Scallop Wellington-Style. The warm goat cheese souffle is also a popular item here. :

MuranoLobsterBisque.jpg

Three of us had the Murano Lobster as our main entrees. It is cooked and prepared table-side from lobster tails that are first presented table-side.:

MuranoPrepareLobster.jpg

Doing dining “family-style” is especially fun in an Asian-style setting such as Silk Harvest. That sharing of the experience adds to the fun and interest. This first course is called “small plates” and we started with a nice mix, including interesting sauces that added much to the enjoyment.

SolsticeSilkHarvestAppitzer.jpg

Personally, sushi has not been my big favorite, but they put together a nice variety of options and the waiter did an added sauce option that was great to test and vary the flavors. Testing new things is a good value/purpose for such cruises. Fun, also!!:

SolsticeSilkHarvestSushi-1.jpg

This was the Tuscan Grille “Signature Creme Brulee” that I enjoyed.:

SolsticeTuscan2Dessert-1.jpg

One of the tipsI have heard about inside cabins is to leave your TV on the ship channel that shows the camera at the front of the ship. Of course it is dark all night; then as it starts to get light your cabin will get light and you will be on a more normal sleep cycle.

Thanks Terry!!! Awesome pictures!

I'm sure the specialty restaurants were at a cost right? Is there a list of prices somewhere on the internet?

Eclipse Features the following specialty venues:

Bistro on 5: Open most of the day - serves crepes (meal crepes and dessert crepes); panini sandwiches and some soups, salads and other desserts available as well. $5 per/person cover charge.

Tuscan Grille: Dinner only (though on some sailings they are having a lunch option). $30 cover charge. This is an Italian style steakhouse, but non-steak options are available as well.

Murano: Dinner only. $40 cover charge. Fine dining type venue featuring European cuisine.

Qsine: Dinner only. $40 cover charge. Features classic dishes served tapas style (small plates you share with those you are eating with) with a twist - i.e. sushi lollipops. Very fun, quirky, unique venue.

I highly recommend trying the specialty venues. Once on board they generally sell packages where you can dine in each of Tuscan Grille, Murano and Qsine for a reduced price. This is a good option. If you are only picking one, go with Murano is you want a more romantic, upscale dinner or Qsine if you want a really fun, interesting dining experience.

Tuscan Grille: Dinner only (though on some sailings they are having a lunch option). $30 cover charge. This is an Italian style steakhouse, but non-steak options are available as well.

Great, helpful tips from Gonzo70. We really enjoyed Tuscan Grille, too, but here's a serious, very important warning. You can fill up quick there. Pace yourself there. You need to save room for the desserts. Can't eat too much early and not have room for the sweets! Here's another visual sample.

For dolce or dessert, here is what the dark chocolate fondue appeared as you needed to tackle this “finish” at Tuscan Grille.:

SolsticeTuscanGrDessertOne-1.jpg

In June, we did our first cruise with Celebrity. It was on the Eclipse's sister-ship, the Solstice. Basically, the same, for features, style, offerings, etc. We didn't do an interior room, but there are so many different public areas for walking around, hanging-out, etc., that give you lots of great options to see the world sail by, enjoy the outdoors and views, etc. Below are some of my visual examples. Look through my live/blog and you can see many more pictures, details on brunch buffet, evening shows, food, etc., etc.

In the Oceanview Cafe, there is a nice ice cream place with lots of "goodies". Don’t be shy and feel free to comment and/or ask any questions of interest. These ships are innovative, yet simple—clean and crisp with an edgy vibe that is very classy . . . and modern!

Check this link for lots of Speciality Dining Photos/Tips:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1434523&page=2

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1426474

For entertainment in the Solstice Theatre, it was called “Solstice -- The Show” featuring a European-style dance, air acts, music, etc. Eclipse does a show like this one. Very dramatic and interesting as they swing, twirl and soar over the audience and stage. Here is one example of the “air show” put on by the show performers.:

SolsticeAirShowFinalTwo.jpg

Many times at the pool, the “party band” is going at it with great tunes, adding to the fun and excitement around the pool area.:

SolsticePartyBandAtPool.jpg

I liked to ride one of the eight glass elevators in the mid-ship courtyard with nice views out to the different floors, enjoying the ship architecture, people being active, etc.:

SolsticeElevatorsGlassHighView.jpg

For the handy and quick Oceanview Cafe buffet, here is one visual sample showing how large and open are these various serving areas. This area includes getting items from the pizza-pasta bar area, various hot and cold items, free tea and juice machines, etc.:

SolsticeOceanviewBuffet1.jpg

The Solarium was one of our favorite areas on the Solstice. Food and drinks were nearby and it was very relaxed and sophisticated. Quieter, too, as it is an adults-only area. Two hot tubs here. Not crowded, especially in the evenings. Nice art and design are there as a part of this sparkling ship facility.:

SolsticeSolariumSunnyDay.jpg

When the sun was setting as the Solstice sailed from Rome to Naples, here was the visual on the back lawn on the ship’s top, back level. Dramatic and beautiful!!:

SolsticeSunsetBackLawn.jpg

Well said.......

We went on our first Celebrity cruise in Oct, Equinox for 11 nights in the Eastern Med. We've been on Royal Caribbean, Carnival and Princess also. What I found was that in general, the Equinox (practically identical to Eclipse) seemed less crowded than other cruise ships, and there was never a problem with getting away from the crowd. There were very few crowded public areas at any given time. Really most of the ship was very peaceful and relaxing in general. The decor of the ship is more like a contemporary upscale hotel rather than a normal cruise ship. It's stunningly gorgeous and you can tell there was meticulous attention to color every square inch of the ship. We didn't think service or the passengers were any stuffier, or anything like that. The ship was just visually nicer, and the furniture more cushy and comfortable. One real gem that we thought seemed overlooked by most (probably because of the small $5 cover charge) was Bistro on Five. It was NEVER crowded and it's a great place to eat breakfast or lunch. Very tasty crepes, both savory and sweet, that are not skimpy on the fillings.

Thanks everyone for being so helpful! Is there a part of the ship that is peaceful/low traffic.. any hidden gems like that?

That's part of the reason for posting my picture showing the wonderful Solarium. It works so well for those reasons of interest to you. Nice view, quiet, low-key, classy. The back Sunset Deck area around where the grass is located tends to be less busy and not with lots of heavy traffic.

Here below is another picture showing those nice potentials to experience and enjoy at that top, back part of the ship.

In the top, back area near the Sunset Bar with live grass, some enjoy this area by reading, playing on the lawn or sun-bathing there.:

SolsticeLawnBackSunSoaking.jpg

Are there previous threads I can read to learn more about Celebrity?

Yes.

Yes.

any ice cream stations?

Yes.

How is the food?

Subjective.

Also a general question, how does it feel to stay in an interior room?

Depressing.

My time dining: This is called Select Dining on Celebrity - so if that is what you want make sure you're signed up for it now. Sometimes you can switch to Select on the ship if you're signed up for Traditional (fixed time) dining now but switching is only available if there is room.

Ice Cream: The Eclipse has a great ice cream station located in the buffet area with really good ice cream (both hard dipped and soft serve) with lots of toppings and variety. It is open from lunch time through the evening. They also have a gelato stand by the coffee bar but there is an extra charge for gelato while the ice cream is included in your cruise fare.

Food quality is very subjective with some loving it and some not so much. While it has been years since we cruise Carnival or RCCL we found the food much nicer on Celebrity when we first cruise the line.

Hard to say about the inside room as we've only had one on our very first cruise years ago. A lot of people prefer them as they like the darkness for sleeping. We loved our first cruise and the only thing I didn't like was not being able to look out first thing in the morning to see the weather and the port. So all I did was run up to the buffet for my wake up cup of coffee instead of having a cup in the cabin. Keep in mind that and all the cabins have the same basic layout and decor. Of course there are lots and lots of places to enjoy the views and sunlight around the ship and most of us don't spend all that much time in our cabin anyways. If you'd really prefer an outside or balcony cabin then keep your eye on Celebrity's web site - you might find one opening up from time to time due to cancellations and other booking adjustments.

On Royal they have the shopping lady that if you buy the book you get buy one get one free drink of the day. Do they have this on Celebrity? Also somebody posted that I needed to call Celebrity with my C&A # to be registered in their equivalent program -- is this true? Thanks for the information!

On Royal they have the shopping lady that if you buy the book you get buy one get one free drink of the day. Do they have this on Celebrity? Also somebody posted that I needed to call Celebrity with my C&A # to be registered in their equivalent program -- is this true? Thanks for the information!

If you are at least platinum with RCI, then call Celebrity and you will be recognized with equivalent status in Celebrity's Captain's Club program. If you are not at least platinum with RCI then no need to call as you will not receive any status with Celebrity yet.

The shopping people on cruise ships are scams - stay away from them! They only pump and recommend stores that give a kickback to the cruise line. The same deals in the book are available even without the book, if not better.

You asked about quiet spaces...

On the equinox there were many little bed type things or oversized chair things for 2 near the pool, those are nice to escape to, esp the bed thing as it's draped in a sheer and when you go in it you feel like you're alone.

Other areas I noticed to be underutilized were the lawn club, and the very top deck of the ship (solstice deck i think? think it's 16). ALso it didn't seem like many were hanging down in the Michaels club area either but, I wasn't there a lot to really see for sure.

You'll def find places on the ship to have quiet time if you want it, and places to have no so quiet times if you don't want it :-) Something for everyone.

Archived