Bonine available at grocery stores?

Swann5

We'll be cruising soon and need to stock up on sea sickiness meds in Ft. Lauderdale pre-cruise; is Bonine available at grocery stores or only pharmacies? Thanks for your replies!

Numerous groceries have pharmacies within, and even if they don't they often carry Bonnine, but if not drug stores or pharmacies are on every corner too so it is not a big deal to find one and get it there.

Get wrist bands, you can get them via travel smith or any other travel site, or get a patch for behind the ear (need a doc order for the script). Boninne can make you tired and that's the last thing you want on a cruise. For 9 cruises I have found the wristbands are wonderful. My daughter swears by the patch behind the ear. Stay away from the meds if you can. The other two solutions work very well. Good luck and happy cruising

If you take tablets take them at night before bed.

That way you sleep off the dopey feeling.

In FLL you should be able to find a CVS or Walgreen's easily.

I know there is a Walgreen maybe 5 mins from the airport. Right on that main drag heading towards I95. Now sure of the street name but it was on the way to I95.

Stay away from the meds if you can. The other two solutions work very well

Please note that "the patch" is a VERY powerful "med" which can cause drowsiness, dizziness and many unwanted side effects in some people (so you are not staying away from the "meds" by using the behind the ear patch). Bonine carries far fewer and less common side effects than are reported with the patch.

I have taken Bonine every cruise for the last 20 years. I have never been sick. Also, it did not make any difference if I drank. I always took one in the morning before breakfast and one before dinner. I buy it in our local Raley's grocery store. It is the best as far as I'm concerned.

My wife uses the less drowsy formula of Meclizine and it works very good for her and she is one of those people that gets motion sickness very easily. 1 pill per day does it for her and it costs less than $4 for an an 8-pack at our pharmacy.

Kev

Please note that "the patch" is a VERY powerful "med" which can cause drowsiness, dizziness and many unwanted side effects in some people (so you are not staying away from the "meds" by using the behind the ear patch). Bonine carries far fewer and less common side effects than are reported with the patch.

So true!!

I hated the patch! It made my vision blurry and made me feel like crap.

Bonine..NO problem!!!!!! And it works!

Sailed to Bermuda in 27 foot swells and never felt queasy (and I am very prone to motion sickness!!) Passed by all the barf-bags with a smile and thanked heaven for the Bonine.

We'll be cruising soon and need to stock up on sea sickiness meds in Ft. Lauderdale pre-cruise; is Bonine available at grocery stores or only pharmacies? Thanks for your replies!

Hello, Swann5. Is Bonine not available in Canada? Is that why you are wanting to buy it in Ft. Lauderdale?

Bonine should be available at any Winn-Dixie supermarket in Florida.

Hello, Swann5. Is Bonine not available in Canada? Is that why you are wanting to buy it in Ft. Lauderdale?

Thanks everyone for all your replies and advice, all with the best intentions. There's a Winn Dixie very close to our hotel so that works out great. Bonine used to be available in Canada, but due to drug shortages hasn't been for years, although you can get a Rx for a similar drug.

The Bonine is to have on hand for the DS's girlfriend, a first time cruiser, to add to our bag of 'good to have, just in case' items. Hubby uses the patch every cruise, I've used bands a couple of times, but I want to have 'the bag' fully stocked as our last remaining tablets of Bonine are probably expired from a much earlier cruise.

Thanks again CC members for all your helpful and timely advice. Happy Hanukkah, Merry Christmas, Happy New Year, or happy whatever occasion you chose to celebrate! Happy & safe sailing to all!

The generic version of Bonine works just as well and is cheaper. Your pharmacist will tell you what the name of it is.

I take ginger tablets when I see the barf bags appear and that is all I need. Disclosure--never been in a situation where many people were getting sick, though, due to motion.

Tucker in Texas

Archived