Smart Casual and nice shorts for 11-year-old?

calenita

For smart casual in the dining room can our 11-year-old wear nice long dress shorts (like Bermuda shorts)? This is for a Caribbean cruise. I guess he could the first and last night at least right? I have a suit for him for formal nights. I was reading the rules on the website, but wondered if the rules vary for kids under 12. Thanks all

First night dress code is not strictly enforced under the notion that you may not have your luggage in your cabin yet.

The website says no shorts or flipflops in dining rooms at night. Now I can't say that I haven't seen kids in dress shorts at night because I have and I've seen grown ups as well, not adhere to dress codes and still be let in, but I guess it is going to depend on how strict the Maitre 'D is in the dining room. My daughter takes a pair of khakis for her boys at night - they usually change right after dinner so she can continue to reuse the pants.

On the Solstice, two men came into the dining room on formal night in shorts and they were asked to leave and change. That was the only time I've ever seen dress code enforced on a ship.

He 'might' be able to get in but whether he can or not is part speculation and part chance. The only clear thing is that shorts do not conform with the dress code. The questionable part is whether they will enforce it for an 11 year old child.

Why not spare him the potential embarrassment should there be an issue and at the same time set an example of how to dress for dinner at a place where long pants are appropriate? It seems easy enough to put him in a nice pair of khakis or other long pants.

Thanks all for the quick reply!

I was just thinking of LIGHT packing and not taking a bunch of extra long pants for him and my 11-year-old is messy so we will get him out of his suit ASAP on formal nights and then if he just wears khakis on smart casual I'll get him out of those too ASAP! Or perhaps emphasize - yet again - not being so messy!

He 'might' be able to get in but whether he can or not is part speculation and part chance. The only clear thing is that shorts do not conform with the dress code. The questionable part is whether they will enforce it for an 11 year old child.

Why not spare him the potential embarrassment should there be an issue and at the same time set an example of how to dress for dinner at a place where long pants are appropriate? It seems easy enough to put him in a nice pair of khakis or other long pants.

Good answer, I completely agree.

Adding my two cents, I have not seen people (adults or children) allowed into the main dining room for dinner in shorts aside from on the first evening of the cruise.

Ditto...

For smart casual in the dining room can our 11-year-old wear nice long dress shorts (like Bermuda shorts)? This is for a Caribbean cruise. I guess he could the first and last night at least right? I have a suit for him for formal nights. I was reading the rules on the website, but wondered if the rules vary for kids under 12. Thanks all
Enforcement of the dress code can vary depending on whom you happen to encounter on duty at the door to the dining room on any particular night. The dress code lists no age restrictions or exceptions.

It would be easiest just to pack a pair of lightweight long pants for him and have no need for concern about it. At that age most boys would rather dress like an adult or teenager than like a small child anyway.

Most men and boys (except very young ones) will be wearing long pants in the dining room for dinner. Shorts are fine at breakfast and lunch.

But it is possible that your son may change into long pants and then see a man in the dining room wearing shorts at dinner time. If he really wanted to wear shorts, you can expect to get the "How come that guy didn't have to change" argument. You just never know.

(If my son pulled that on me, my answer would be -- because that guy doesn't have mean parents like you do.) :)

We were on the Eclipse the first of November ' date=' they allowed a grown man into Blu with shorts and tee shirt for dinner two nights and neither were the first night of the cruise. I guess you can wear whatever you like.[/quote']

You may not know the circumstances, this gentleman may have had his luggage lost, I saw that happen on one of my cruises and the whole family wore shorts, etc all week.

.But it is possible that your son may change into long pants and then see a man in the dining room wearing shorts at dinner time. If he really wanted to wear shorts, you can expect to get the "How come that guy didn't have to change" argument. You just never know.

(If my son pulled that on me, my answer would be -- because that guy doesn't have mean parents like you do.) :)

I like the mean parents note! :)

You may not know the circumstances, this gentleman may have had his luggage lost, I saw that happen on one of my cruises and the whole family wore shorts, etc all week.

The fact that he was dressed appropriately other nights led me to believe that it wasn't a situation like you describe , although I too have seen it happen.

I was just venting because I tried to use him as an excuse not to have to change into dress clothes for dinner. My DW was having none of that...

The fact that he was dressed appropriately other nights led me to believe that it wasn't a situation like you describe ' date=' although I too have seen it happen.

I was just venting because I tried to use him as an excuse not to have to change into dress clothes for dinner. My DW was having none of that...[/quote']

DW are like that, same with mine...

Archived