Uh-Oh....has this bag problem ever happened to you?

mringenoldus

Aeromexico left one of my husband's bags in Phoenix....he is in Buenos Aires but taking the charter to Ushuaia early tomorrow morning - making it unlikely that it will catch up with him. We have travel insurance and I also need to check into what the airline will do since he will have to get some more clothes.

Just about to get on the phone with Aeromexico - but not feeling optimistic!

Maureen

Well, that is a problem, esp since you are dealing with AeroMexico! We have experienced lost baggage once while doing a cruise. I was getting worried, but it arrived at the dock right before we sailed. And that was dealing with British Airways and no charter flights involved.

Good luck to your husband on finding the stuff he needs. If there is any time in Ushuaia, he would probably do better getting the proper gear there. We were in Punta Arenas 2 years ago, and there were lots of outfitters stores there with reasonable prices.

Oh no... It has happened to us too. In fact, it just happened on our Galapagos cruise and we didn't get the bag until the day before disembarkation.

Hope Aeromexico can get the bag there before he leaves - either through them, or via one of the Skyteam partners. There are a number of flights from BA to Ushuaia each day, though I wouldn't like the chances of getting the bag to the ship if it's not on the charter.

He should have a bit of time in Ushuaia to go shopping - the ship docks right in town. And there's a laundry room on board, free for passengers' use. So he shouldn't have to buy a whole week's worth of clothing. What a pain - sorry!

Thanks! There is a possibility that the bag will be in Stanley tomorrow when the Silver Explorer reaches the Falklands.....thanks to a young man who works at Aeromexico. I think they should make him employee of the year!!

Ah, didn't realize that they were visiting the Falklands on this cruise. That has a reasonable chance of working, then. Good luck!

With a LOT of luck he should be reunited with it right now! I'll let you know :)

Here are some emails from his daily update - you might enjoy them:

Day 1 of the cruise started well, almost! It was too windy to pull away from the dock and we had to wait about an hour before we were able to escape from the dock. We are now underway heading out to sea. It is the first day of summer here which means that it will be daylight for about 20 hours. Our cabin is nice along with our butler. Tristan is drinking everything in sight on his quest to get our moneys worth. Had dinner with a retired doctor and his wife from Boston. The news about the bag is wonderfull hope it comes to fruition. Wearing my hiking shoes with dress pants looks silly. Day at sea next with a lecture on the falklands history (going) and a lecture about birds (not so much). Thanks for whatever you were able to accomplish ref the mia bag. I will appreciate it

Wildlife Sightings: 0

Off to bed now anticipating what tomorrow will bring.

Valiant Penguin Hunters

Day 2 Report: The cabin is very nice, bathroom has a tub, frige is full of free beer and the tv has 130 free movies, life is good! There are a number of pax who are my age and a fair amount that are Tristan's age, we just had a nice dinner with a couple his age from Canada. Her first cruise! The ride has been bumpy because of the high winds but I am enjoying the ride (Tristan say it is like an amusement park ride). I was having coffee in the Panorama Lounge when we hit a rather large wave and leaned over a little more than usual. I grabbed my coffee cup in time but everything else on the table went on the floor. The food is very good, Tristan had artichoke tonite which he says tastes like carrots??, but he did dress very nicely for the Captains dinner (jacket and tie!!). I borrowed his Burberry jacket with my dress pants and hiking boots, quite the picture! Tomorrow is Stanley, with a trip to a penguin sanctuary and then town time.

Wildlife Report: Penguins: 0

Sea life: 0

Birds: Quite a few, albatross and other nameless birds.

Thats is all for now, we have a 0845 debarkation tomorrow for our group so off to bed.

As you will read - no bag :(. The other guests must think he looks like Jed Clampett!

Day 3 report.

No bag, bummer, silver seas is unsure exactly what airport the wandering bag is currently at.

We arrived at Stanley in the am and silver seas had some leftover end of year money so they sprung for the famous bluff cove penguin rookery tour. 30 minutes on a minibus then 30 minutes in a land rover driving off road, they recommended that people with neck and issues avoid this trip and they were right. At the end of the line was a penguin sanctuary with lots of very noisy and stinky penguins.

Next was a walk through Stanley by ourselves and then a guided tour from the expedition staff where among other things we saw a reindeer and were accomplices in a gnome napping.

Christmas day will be on the other side on the Falklands to be determined. Found my penguin bow tie for dinner on the 25th.

Have fun a luminariafest (Tristan really misses being there for it) and have a good and wonderful Christmas

Wildlife sightings

1: penguins - lots

2: birds - not so many

3: other mammals - 1 reindeer

All for now.

Thanks, Rachel....I was dubious also! If we never see it again, the travel insurance will cover it (and I assume Aeromexico has to pay also) It is just off on an adventure of its own :)

If you are still enjoying Garrit's posts - I'll keep sending them.

Mery, merry Christmas to all of you!

PS The Luminariafest Garrit mentioned is our Christmas Eve tradition of putting the lighted bags up and down our street followed by fondue and gifts. As the kids have become adults, they good-naturedly complain about the bag part - but still like the fondue and gifts. Tristan did not feel badly missing this annual event at all! No worries - I'm raising a new crop of grandkids to take over with me. :)

MERRY CHRISTMAS

Day 3 Report Follows:

Today we went to two islands in the Falklands to look at the local wildlife. One trip included a 1 1/2 walk to look at albatross and penguin nesting areas. Lots of albatross and penguins (rockhopper penguins). Actually both islands had the same attractions but the second island was only a 3/4 mile walk to visit with the local wildlife and had a pretty neat museum at the end of it. Penguins and albatross make an ungodly amount of noise, everybody yelling at each other and fighting over their particular nesting areas. They do not share well.

We also had christmas dinner which went well but I would not let Tristan wear his sweater to dinner, you have to look closely at the reindeer to understand. (editorial note: upon closer review, those reindeer were not frolicking appropriately - and it's a godawful ugly sweater) We had dinner with the professor and Ivy. Most enjoyable!

In Stanley they had a shop that had everything penguin, and I mean everything!!! I bought a pre tied penguin bow tie and wore it to dinner with my dress pants and hiking boots. Tristan wore his christmas bow tie and got a few compliments. We looked good.

The next two days are at sea, so you may get a very short daily report. We intend to get our moneys worth of beer on the next two days. The butler has stocked us up and is more than willing to bring more as required. We will see.

We are both are sad that we were unable to participate in Luminaria Fest--maybe next year.

(another editorial note: they weren't really the least bit sad :))

Pictures to follow.

Hope you all had a good christmas and the twins enjoyed their cars.

Me.

A little surprised about coat and tie; guess I will need to rethink my packing scheme. :confused:

Marc

Marc - if you want to bring a sportcoat and tie, do so. If you don't, you don't have to. There's been a nice variety of dress on our past 2 Silver Explorer cruises. You will not feel out of place with or without one.

Personally, I liked the sport coat for the warmth, but a nice sweater will fit in just as well. And we're only talking about the Captain's welcome and farewell parties - not a chance you'll think of a tie anywhere else!

Archived