Security check in wheelchair

muskrat897

I agree that the pat down is better a possible security lapse and they are always careful to make sure that the pat down is done by someone of the same sex.

Actually, I am more concerned if they do not check my husband carefully. Sometimes I think the check is too cursory. I would rather they carefully check anyone who can not go through the metal detector then face the possible consequences.

I travel with a power chair and I giggle at every security check.

I do not have a problem being patted down, but when they have me take my shoes off to check them for explosives, I have to have a sense of humor!! My chair (Jazzy) has a fiberglass cover over the batteries and the chair has NEVER been checked, I could pack it with C 4 but my feet are checked!!!!!!! hahhahaha

Sherry

Sherry:

We've had the same experience. They take one of my husband's shoes off and put it through the scanner (the other one is attached to a brace so they can not take it off) and they check for explosives. However, they often miss the small posket on the arm of his power chair and have never checked between his gel seat and the wheelchair seat. As a result, I am torn between wishing they would be more thorough and being happy that they do not make him go through the difficulty of transfering so that they can check between the seats.

Sherry:

We've had the same experience. They take one of my husband's shoes off and put it through the scanner (the other one is attached to a brace so they can not take it off) and they check for explosives. However, they often miss the small posket on the arm of his power chair and have never checked between his gel seat and the wheelchair seat. As a result, I am torn between wishing they would be more thorough and being happy that they do not make him go through the difficulty of transfering so that they can check between the seats.

I have learned to "go with the flow". Although I can walk my artificial knees set off the metal detector. I carry a pocket sized x-ray that my MD gave me but I still have to be patted down. One thing I learned is to wear a skirt when I fly. Once they see my scars I am finished with the screen. When I wore slacks I had to go to a private room and remove my slacks. Now I just wear a skirt and lift the hem, its much quicker that way. However I would really feel safer if there was more sense to the screening. Sometimes it seems haphazard.

Sherry and DEL I also worried about the idea of hollow tubes of even manual chairs packed with C4. Then I realized that something is sniffing most of us. I mean when I read that so many women were getting asked to step aside and asked some weird questions I felt better. Seems a lot of the newer face and body lotions have a bit of nitroglycerin in them. If you rub it on then touch your carry on bags the smeller machines can detect it. I feel a lot safer now. I lived in Rome in the mid 80's when the airport was shot up. Prefer being patted down to gunned down. And if the TSA reads this I prefer a cute guy patting my butt to any woman. ;-)

My husband also gets the pat down, the shoes and the last 2 times they have removed his cushion that he's sitting on and checked it and under my husband. This is a little hairy as my husband must push himself up with his arms using the wheels. I was waiting for him to sit on the hands of the person checking his seat underneath him. We're flying again in May and I'm wondering what new procedures they'll have then.

Carol

I always get patted down in airports. This past cruise we drove, did not fly.

At ports, it was explained that they had a wide security perimeter to go through to get back to the ship. That they did. At one port, I was patted down without even asking me first. I thought THAT was invasive! Also, at the airports, they always check my scooter, or chair, with mirrors, and open the battery/cord compartment. At the ship check in, they didn't even LOOK at my scooter........or my shoes.............just patted me down....sigh................

We were patted down in the Rome airport 3 TIMES! That was a long time ago. AND they didn't ask us or inform us of ANYTHING! We were SHOCKED! The female searcher simply put her hand down our fronts, over our bras and shirts, so it was an eye opener back then. I'm surprised that everyone is so sensitive to being searched or physically checked nowadays. Europeans have been doing it for YEARS! Americans need to get OVER it and move on. Yes, we will be searched (Tahiti has the alltime WORST security that I've seen - don't put your film through as it goes through all their scanners). I would prefer safety to the alternative.

I prefer safety, also. I would think it was even safer if the security measures used were CONSISTANT! We go through these personal examinations, with the thought that we are serving our transportation safety purposes, then read in the paper about someone smuggling a weapon on board, right through the screeners.

I am hoping my mom just got stuck with an ignorant bunch of screeners at STL on Saturday because in my opinion, what they put her through was outrageous.

She cannot walk so had to be manually inspected. The TSA screeners insisted that she be in a private room and refused to allow my sister or I in the room with her. The three TSA inspectors (all female) told her that she had to get out of her wheelchair, which she cannot do unassisted. They refused to assist her so the best she could do was slide out of her chair onto the floor. The inspectors poked her, leaving bruises around her stomach and breasts. The next insult was the head TSA inspector insisted that they had to inspect her "private area" for weapons. Two screeners forced her legs apart while the head inspected felt between her legs and attempted to feel inside her private area through her clothes. The final insult was the screeners refused to assist her back in her chair so she had to use it for leverage while attempting to lift herself up. The screeners told her several times that if she did not do everything they asked, they would arrest her.

During this process my sister and I could her her crying through the door and requested that we be allowed inside to find out what was happening. The TSA inspectors refused to allow us in the room and told us that if we did not leave the screening area they would arrest us and could hold us without bail for up to 24 hours.

After over 45 minutes, they finally released my mother. When I heard what the screeners had done, I requested to speak with a supervisor. The supervisor was completely noncompassionate. She told us that all people who refuse to go through the metal detector (my mom did not refuse, she was unable) had to submit to a full cavity inspection. I explained to the supervisor that we had flown from Houston the week before and in Houston 1) they allowed me to assist my mom from her wheelchair and 2) they let her sit on a plastic chair while they ran a hand-held metal detector over her and inspected the wheelchair.

The supervisor's explaination for the invasive search was that they heard of a woman attempting to smuggle a knife inside her privates and now all women in wheelchairs were required to be inspected manually. She further said that STL does not have the same equipment as Houston (they can't buy a plastic chair and hand-held metal detectors???) so they have to touch wheelchair passengers. She claims that my sister and I were not allowed in the room with my mom out of fear that we would attack the TSA screeners (she had a point with that one!) and that the screeners are under no obligation to assist a wheelchair passenger in any way. If wheelchair passengers are unable to get in and out of their chairs by themselves, they have no business flying. I was appalled by her attitude and asked to speak with her supervisor. She would not allow this and told me that if I continued to protest their treatment of my mom, she would have me arrested and put my name on the "no fly" list so I would not be allowed to travel by air.

I'm still angry over the incident. My mom cried for nearly the whole flight back to Houston because she was so upset over the inspection process.

This was the first time my mom has flown since the WTC attacks. Is that type of invasive search normal now for the smaller airports? The people in Houston seemed very professional and though they did some touching along her back, they did not treat my mom like a criminal. Why is Saint Louis so different? Are there other airports equally invasive? My mom is currently saying she will never fly again because no vacation is worth that type of humiliation. I personally am ignorant since I don't know how much power the TSA really has. It seems substantial since occasionally you hear about 6-year olds being arrested at the airports for making comment.

That is TERRIBLE, Kyriecat! It is hard to believe that something that awful could happen. Your poor Mom.

You might post to Tripso.com as a general warning, and see what kind of response you get, also on Frommers.com. I would just tell everyone about how disrespectful those people were to your mother........and report it to the TSA, and St. Louis airport as well. There is no excuse for that behavior. I wish I could help.........please give your Mom a hug for me........

I found a complaint form on the TSA website and am tempted to fill it out. If I do, I am concerned that the people in St. Louis may retaliate and add my name to the no-fly list. I am supposed to fly to Europe later this year. Has anyone filed a complaint before? Did it do any good? I don't think any woman should have to experience a vaginal examination just to get on an airplane, but I don't want to put myself in jeopardy either.

Here's the TSA website link. I wish I had read this before we flew!

http://www.tsa.gov/public/display?theme=156

Among the things I found: A person who cannot go through the metal detector can request either a pat-down or hand-held metal detector screening. My mom was not offered the hand-held metal detector as an option in St. Louis. The STL screeners told her she was required to have a pat-down exam because they did not have hand-held detectors available.

Also, the TSA site says that a companion is allowed in the screening room to provide assistance. My sister and I were told that we are not allowed in the room and we were threatened when we requested entry.

Oh my . That has to be the worst story I have ever heard about the TSA. From what I understand (and I have interviewed top level officials) this is not behavior they condone and a complaint should be filed. I also have received nothing but respectful and sensitive treatment from the TSA (last week I had an issue with a bra and the TSA employee did everything by the book).

But (and this is a huge but) Your mother (not you) needs to be the person to file the complaint. She is the only person who has an eyewitness account of what went on in the room (aside from the TSA folks). And they will take the complaint seriously if the person who was abused is the one who complains. If another person files on behalf of the injured party, they don’t really take it that seriously, unless that person actually witnessed the abuse (not heard it about it after the fact).

So yes, do tell your mother to file a complaint. The sooner the better.

Candy

That is outrageous!! Another glaring example of the misuse of authority by (some) TSA agents. I would definitly report it, or like another poster said, contact an attorney. That is battery and sexual harrasment.

If your mom travels again, I would print out a copy from the TSA website stating that a travel companian is to be allowed to go into the private room with her, and whatever else is pertinent to wheelchair travel.

Air travel these days is getting to be ridiculous...........the security is a joke.

Sorry it happened to your mom! Let us know what you decide to do.

I asked my mom to file a complaint, but she wants to put the nightmare behind her and won't. She is not a person to make waves. I would like to make sure those wenches never have the opportunity to treat another person like they did my mom.

I know the TSA has a difficult job because of the number of people they need to scan quickly and efficiently, and for the most part, they are very professional. However, there are always a few bad apples. I only average about 6 fights a year and can name three instances prior to this past weekend where I felt the TSA screeners treated me and my belongings disrespectfully. I can put up with a lot of things happening to me without much complaint, but when people treat my mother that way, it's difficult to take. I want heads to roll!

If the staff in Houston had been less courteous, maybe we could have anticipated the problems in St. Louis. I really appreciate the respect they gave my mom.

In the future, I will make sure that my mom has a printed copy of the information on the TSA website with her (if she will ever consider flying again). If she has to go through a manual inspection, I think she needs to insist on one in the public viewing area with a companion close by. I would hope the screeners would be less inclined to behave inappropriately if there are several witnesses.

Kyrie:

I understand your outrage and your "wanting to make heads roll" (been there) but unfortunately in this case you also have to respect the wishes of your mom (the victim). What she is going through is not unlike that of an assault/rape victim (she has been violated) and if she doesn't want to pursue it, then I think you have to abide by her wishes. Many victims feel that they only relive the whole ordeal when they file a complaint, and it's a very personal decision to decide to go forward.

But again, your mom needs to be the one to file the complaint, because she is the only witness.

I think it's good that you have educated her. Maybe she will travel again, given time to heal. I hope so. But when and if she does, at least she will know her rights (thanks to you).

I have to also say that I don't know what I would do if I were in her situation. Quite frankly I’d probably want to forget it as soon as possible and filing a complaint would only drag it out. To be honest, I probably choose to not file a complaint either. It's like you get abused/humiliated all over again when you file a complaint (the memories).

Best of luck to the both of you.

Candy

I understand what you are saying, Candy. But (IMHO) if nobody complains about those TSA jerks in STL, they will never be disciplined and will continue to torment and abuse other passengers. What they are doing is NOT right nor appropriate.

I would certainly file a complaint for my mother..........but that's just me.

Good luck and I hope you and she never has to experience that again!

Denise

As much as it disturbs me, I may have to let the issue at STL drop. The only way to make a formal complaint to the TSA requires listing names, which will only further humiliate my mother. She was considering a trip to Alaska next year. I don't know if she still is - thought asking about it now might be in poor taste. If my parents do make the trip, I'll make sure my dad is also aware of the passenger rights before they leave.

I found another link on the TSA website describing the requirements for a pat-down examination. This might be helpful for others in the future.

http://www.tsa.gov/public/display?theme=8&content=09000519800eb515

According the to information, the screeners are required to use the BACKS of their hands when inspecting buttocks, genitals, and female breasts. From personal experience, I know this rule is not always followed. I have had my breasts squeezed with the fingers during the inspection process. My mom mentioned that the fingers were used when inspecting her breasts or genitals.

I guess the lesson here (for those with and without disabilities) is know your rights before you fly. Print out the information from the TSA website and carry it with you so you can present the requirements (in writing) to the screeners and supervisors if needed. Obviously there are a few of them that either do not have proper training or disregard the rules. Hopefully everyone who is reading this learns from my mistake and doesn't have to go through the humiliating process that my mom did because I did not know what the TSA was allowed to do.

Archived