Should we snorkel in Belize or Cozumel?!

cml88

Hey everybody!

I’m going on my 2nd cruise August 2012! My first cruise was last year and we snorkeled in Grand Turk! We absolutely loved it…we can’t decide now if we want to snorkel in Belize or Cozumel through an excursion (we’re stopping at both). I’ve heard both places are great for snorkeling but I want to know what’s better! And we’re on a budget so we can only choose one J

Which waters are better to snorkel in? We’re interested in snorkeling off shore in about 10-20 ft water…I’m not looking to snorkel on the beach per se…

Thanks for your help and opinions!!! I really appreciate it!

Hey everybody!

I’m going on my 2nd cruise August 2012! My first cruise was last year and we snorkeled in Grand Turk! We absolutely loved it…we can’t decide now if we want to snorkel in Belize or Cozumel through an excursion (we’re stopping at both). I’ve heard both places are great for snorkeling but I want to know what’s better! And we’re on a budget so we can only choose one J

Which waters are better to snorkel in? We’re interested in snorkeling off shore in about 10-20 ft water…I’m not looking to snorkel on the beach per se…

Snorkeled both places many times, both ship and independently. If you want a unique experience, try the snorkeling in Shark Ray Alley off San Pedro or Caye Caulker in Belize. Sometimes you can only do this independently, not all cruise lines offer it. It's a bit of a boat ride, 45 mins from the pier, but you get to see vibrant corals, staghorns, brain, and fans, multiple fish, and of course, nurse sharks and stingrays on the 2nd stop of the tour. Both stops are generally in shallow water, under 10'. Reminded me of the corals I saw in Bora Bora.

Goff's Cay is for beginners, nice locale, The Barrier Reef snorkel gets way overcrowded.

In Cozumel, there's a 3 stop catamaran snorkel tour which can be fun, as well as a boat excursion from the private beach clubs such as Nachi where you can drift over a bit of the reef in maybe 30' of water. Chakanaab seems bleached and washed out, and gets crowded too.

Whatever you choose, remember to use oil free or biodegradable sunscreen. Enjoy!

If the weather is nice, my vote is for Caye Caulker in Belize. However, if you really like to snorkel, I would go in both Belize and Roatan. You can snorkel inexpensively from the shore in Roatan and still have a great experience. Have fun. We are planning on snorkeling in both those ports again in September. :)

If you are looking for some of the best snorkeling to be had, have you considered Coral Breeze Tours while in Belize ?

We prefer to snorkel in both ports & enjoy each.

Look up their site for info & tour specifics.

We use this outfit twice each year & have always had a super time !

We really enjoy the local lunch while at Caye Caulker after the snorkeling portion of the trip.

Enjoy Belize.

Bill in FL

Hey everybody!

Both places have GREAT snorkeling, but much more so with boat entry. There isn't great shore snorkeling in Coz. Off one of the Cay's in Belize would be better, but better still would be taking a boat out to the reef, IMO.

Archived