Help - Need lots of advice for sailing transatlantic

fuzzywuzzy

Try also the SlowTravel website. There is a lot of information here from many experienced travelers to Italy who have recommended hotels, restaurants, etc. plus hints on public transportation, airports, etc.

There's also the SlowTalk forums, with current discussions on all things Italy/Europe.

http://www.slowtrav.com/italy/index.asp

Thank you so much for the indepth advice RMLincoln. I will definitely research booking tickets for the Sistine Chapel ahead of time. I will print off all the helpful tips so I can read and highlight. My head is starting to swim so I need to take a break and go to bed. LOL. I have to get my head back into Christmas mode now.

Our cruise is booked !! Just received the confirmations tonight. Yikes. I have a really good Translator APP on my Smart Phone and it will actually translate from Italian to English and vice versa, either printed or spoken so I think this will be a HUGE help.

Thanks. Good to know. Maybe I'll let this one go. Any other suggestions? Someone recommended the Hotel Golden but it seems it is all booked for the time I need. We would like to get something with a shuttle to and from airport as HAL will be transferring us there.

Why are you getting a HAL transfer to the airport? Is this part of an inclusive package with flight and cruise?

If this is not all included, compare the price of the transfer to the airport with a car from the port to Rome centre. Assuming there are 2 or more in your party you may find the car cheaper.

Look forward to meeting you on this cruise :).

While the train from Civitevecchia is a price performer, it may be difficult to handle your luggage on/off. Years ago we would chose this option, but we have mellowed and are willing to pay more for less luggage issues. If you are able to pack lightly enough, it may be a great option for you, but as other posters have stated, you will need to meticulously research your path from cruise ship to hotel, as the train stations can be confusing, and the exits are not necessarily named so that you can easily tell which one to take to get to the hotel.

If you choose to take the train, I'd suggest emailing the hotel to ask for detailed instructions about which exit to take from the Rome station, and directions to walk to the hotel, or you could just opt to take a taxi from the station to your hotel.

Come on over to the Ports/Europe/Italy board where there are quite a few of us independent travelers who can give you lots of help with Rome (and getting there from Civitavecchia). For starters we would agree with your assessment that you would be better off booking your own hotel and also handling your own transfers. There are several options depending on your wants, budget, and ability to handle your luggage.

Hank

Why are you getting a HAL transfer to the airport? Is this part of an inclusive package with flight and cruise?

If this is not all included, compare the price of the transfer to the airport with a car from the port to Rome centre. Assuming there are 2 or more in your party you may find the car cheaper.

Look forward to meeting you on this cruise :).

I cancelled our transfer with HAL to the airport. The price was not included in our package so I realized this was silly for us to be taken to the airport at extra cost and then try to find our way from there to the hotel. I will book a shuttle as someone recommended Romashuttle.com. Do you know this one?

Come on over to the Ports/Europe/Italy board where there are quite a few of us independent travelers who can give you lots of help with Rome (and getting there from Civitavecchia). For starters we would agree with your assessment that you would be better off booking your own hotel and also handling your own transfers. There are several options depending on your wants, budget, and ability to handle your luggage.

Hank

Thanks. Yes, I have been on that board and getting lots of hints and tips. Have you heard of the Hotel Gambrinus? We have booked there. I hope it is within walking distance of a few sights? The reviews sounded very favourable.

Good, quiet hotel in Rome, very close to Termini main station, is the 4* Hotel Diocleziavio.

Termini to Civitavecchio by train (generally at least hourly) is 1 hour - quite scenic toward the end - at 4.5 euros single and with an easy, level 300m walk to the port gate where buses await to transfer to your ship.

Trains leave from platform 23, maybe 24, which is at the far end of the station - a level walk, keep to the right hand sid of the station (and keeping a platform on your immediate left). Allow 10 minutes for this! Train tickets can easily be obtained from one of the many automatic machines in the foyer - use your vredit card (but beware of pick pockets and other thieves here and elsewhere in Rome, as most cities. Accept 'help' from strangers with caution). Remember to use the orange machines to verify use of your ticket before boarding the train (they are clearly visible on every platfrom).

Rome is easily walked - to get orientated use a hop on hop off bus which depart from the west (left hand side) of Termini station. Taxis can be a rip-off.

You could fly out of Buffalo and save a bundle. But it is still better than 3 days each way even using park'n'fly. Also take a train to Rome. Civitaveccia's station is within easy walking distance from the port gate even with luggage and the fare is only 4.5 euros to the centre of Rome. Thats about $6 and its faster than a cab or a bus. The suggestion about Booking.com was a good one. Go see Ancient Rome at night too-the Forum in particular. Its safe but I hope you don't have strikes messing things up. Just got back from a TA in the fall--Spring is the best.

Love Rick Steves, he has a book just about Rome that is the easiest read ever from other travel books. Some of the cleanest places to stay that are cheap and easy walking to the sites, are in his books. Eyewitness Rome has some great pictures and maps of the sites that are awesome.

Cann't stress this enough, pack light and carry a money belt. In Europe you can be picked clean so fast, it's amazing. On the bright side they do not want to hurt you, they just pick you clean or slash a purse and you never even feel it.

Hi:

We did a transatlantic two years ago and loved it. The weather was the best it could be and the water with very smooth and calm. We expected huge waves in the middle of the Atlantic, but it was like glass. All were amazed. We did it the first two weeks of May.

I would take a flight from Toronto (or Buffalo) to Ft. Lauderdale, rather than drive. As upon the return, you'll be flying out of Europe. With the time change, you don't want to then have to drive back to Canada from Ft. Lauderdale. I know its more expensive, but after all that travelling, you won't want to drive 3 days home.

As for Rome, we stayed right in Rome. The Hotel was called Hotel Julia and I would recommend it. Price was reasonable for Rome. Its a small quaint hotel and they provided us with places to eat, where to go etc. Very helpful. At the bottom of the street is a supermarket where we bought bottled water and cans of beer for our room. Its within 5 mins. walking to the Trevi Fountain and Spanish Steps. Its about 20 mins. walk to the Colessumn. We walked both ways, as there are many nice shops along the walk. You can also take the subway. Its very easy in Rome to use. You can get a 2 or 3 day pass and get off and on many times. We did use this too. But this hotel was right by a Pizzaz with many restuarants and shops and easy to get to other places.

We walked from the ship to the train station and then took the train to Rome. We then took the subway or "Metro" as its known in Rome to our hotel. However, there are several sets of stairs going from Train to street and with large luggage, it was difficult and tiring to pull the luggage up and down the stairs. So you might want to consider taking a taxi to the hotel, but the cost will be alot more than subway. I hope this helps with some of your concerns.

When we were in Rome two years ago (after a HAL Med cruise), we arranged for a private car to drive us from the port to our hotel in Rome. While public transportation is much cheaper, it can be very difficult to find your hotel in Rome once you get off the train. Many of the hotels are on side streets and are virtually invisible if you don't know what to look for. After you book a hotel in Rome, check with the concierge or hotel manager about getting a private car from the ship to the hotel. It cost us about $100 but was well worth it. Also, while in Rome, we did several tours with Presto Tours. Their web-site is at www dot prestotours dot com. Presto Tours offers private or very small group (there were only 5 of us on the tours that we did) tours with English speaking guides. Our guide had a Masters in Art History and was exceptional during our tour of the Vatican and the Sistine Chapel.

Rome is a magnificent city. You can't go wrong no matter what you do.

I agree - we used a car company to take us to our hotel and it just took all the hassle and worry out of the trip. I know we could have used public transport for much less, but this was so relaxing ! We stayed at a little hotel (Albergo Cesari) midway between the Trevi Fountain and the Pantheon - 400yds to one and 600yds to the other. Lots of little restaurants in this area and not too expensive. The Spanish Steps are also within easy walking distance. It's only 100yds to the bus stops - one direction to the Colosseum and the other for the Vatican and St. Peter's Square. Highly recommend the hotel. Good luck with your trip.

Thanks to everyone for all your hints and tips. I think we will be booking a cab through RomeCabs as we aren't prepared to drag our luggage around up and down stairs, etc.

I hope I booked a nice place as I booked it before I saw some of these posts. It's the Hotel Gambrinus. I hope it is in a fairly good location. The reviews I've read sound good on Trip Advisor.

Hi:

We did a transatlantic two years ago and loved it. The weather was the best it could be and the water with very smooth and calm. We expected huge waves in the middle of the Atlantic, but it was like glass. All were amazed. We did it the first two weeks of May.

I would take a flight from Toronto (or Buffalo) to Ft. Lauderdale, rather than drive. As upon the return, you'll be flying out of Europe. With the time change, you don't want to then have to drive back to Canada from Ft. Lauderdale. I know its more expensive, but after all that travelling, you won't want to drive 3 days home.

As for Rome, we stayed right in Rome. The Hotel was called Hotel Julia and I would recommend it. Price was reasonable for Rome. Its a small quaint hotel and they provided us with places to eat, where to go etc. Very helpful. At the bottom of the street is a supermarket where we bought bottled water and cans of beer for our room. Its within 5 mins. walking to the Trevi Fountain and Spanish Steps. Its about 20 mins. walk to the Colessumn. We walked both ways, as there are many nice shops along the walk. You can also take the subway. Its very easy in Rome to use. You can get a 2 or 3 day pass and get off and on many times. We did use this too. But this hotel was right by a Pizzaz with many restuarants and shops and easy to get to other places.

We walked from the ship to the train station and then took the train to Rome. We then took the subway or "Metro" as its known in Rome to our hotel. However, there are several sets of stairs going from Train to street and with large luggage, it was difficult and tiring to pull the luggage up and down the stairs. So you might want to consider taking a taxi to the hotel, but the cost will be alot more than subway. I hope this helps with some of your concerns.

Thanks for your advice. I hope the ocean will be calm for us. :) We already booked our flight from Rome back to Ft. Lauderdale as HAL provided a very good price although it is indirect to New Jersey first. But to fly to Toronto was hundreds of dollars more. We just weighed the pros and cons and thought this might be the best. We still might find a cheap flight out of Detroit to Ft. Lauderdale rather than drive and then fly back to Detroit upon returning. I still kind of like the driving idea though as we can take our time and not be going through airport waits and lines, etc. We shall see. I think after the long flight back, we will be sick of flying.

There is a free shuttle bus provided by the Civitavecchia port from the ship to the gates of the port. The train station is about 2.5 blocks to the right, and we pulled our tolling bags there easily. The trains from Civitavecchia to Rome run at varying times and speeds ( express and local trains) and all wind up at the main Terninal in Rome. Train tickerts vary depending on the time you go ( more costly at commuter time for a one way ticket). and trip takes 45 - 75 minutes depending on the train. We took a taxi from the Terminal to our hotel, giving the driver the written hotel address. There is also an express train from that Rome terminal to the airport, about 45 minutes. The airport train station is across the street from the airport with a covered walkway on an arch over the street between airport and train station. Elevators go from the station to the ramp and down from the ramp to the main airport floor.

Stan

I understand that you have already booked your return flight. Others may be interested that last time I booked a one way return flight from FCO to Toronto on AirTransat. In the spring many Italians return to home for an extended vacation which means that the return flights are almost empty. It was around $350 and we all had at least three seats to stretch out on. Took the train to Essex County but now you can go on Porter from Toronto Island Airport. There is currently a 50% off sale which meanms the flight is slightly more than the train.

The posts that suggest you fly to Fort Lauderdale form either Detroit or Buffalo are correct. There is now service from Niagra Falls New York to Florida. It is much better than the twenty four straight hour drive from the Ontario/Michigan border. However fly down the day before your cruise.

I also agree that Priceline is the best way to ge a reasonable price on a room. The last three times we ended up in the same Hilton with approx. a $75 bid.

Rent a car so that you can get to the hotel, the ship the next day and do some shoping for the cruise. Approx. $40.

We always buy drinks, a case of water and snacks for the trip. This way you do not have to fly with them, and they often they are less expensive in Florida than in Ontario. Review threads about bringing alcohol onboard and the Cruiseline rules. The case of water is for the port-of-call as they are expensive on the ship. Any leftovers are donated to the cabin staff who I hve asked to remove the ships contents of the fridge so that I could chill ours.

On the morning of the cruise we take the suitcases to the ship, return the rental and get a free shuttle to the ship with only our carry-on luggage.

I agree that you must buy a travel book on Rome, but for the other port-of-call we use the internet and print and write out what we want to do at them. Later just toss them so as to eliminate weight and clutter. We always use public transportation and whenever possible buy a day pass. You can see a lot of the port and should be able to decide whether you want to return to it in the future. We have gone back to at least four cities that we first went to on a cruise.

The five straight days at sea were great. Good weather and no rough water. Lots of planned things to do or you can just chill. We brought books which we donated to the staff when we were with them. One day we had ten foot seas but the ship did no budge. Only saw how big they were when we went to the restaurant on a lower lever and looked out the window. Of course be smart and bring an RX just in case.

We have a one suitcase(Medium size) and one carry-on per person rule. People have correctly indicated that on a Europe trip you do carry your bags. In airports, getting to the hotels, in the hotels as many do not have elevators and up many stairs in railway stations. How you ask can you have so little on an almost three week trip? Use the ships laundry, usually on sale late in the trip, so that clothes can be worn more than once. You should bring things that can be worn with different things. We also bring older clothes like pjs, socks, underwear, etc. which can be tossed after the last use. We also toss books, travel sized umbrellas and I usually bring running shoes that are at the end of their life. This will allow you to pack the purchases made on your trip on the way home.

You may also want to consider not buying a lot of crap souvenirs that will end up in a drawer or in your garage sale. We buy one good item per trip, usually at an antique store or at a flea market. In Europe they often have really good quality items at flea markets compared to the ones at home. After a few years you end up with a lot of nice items. I often purchase a birthday or Christmas present on the sly for my wife which is usually appreciated more than something I get at home. Great for brownie points for you husbands out there.

Do bring a electrical converter for Rome, not required on the ship.

Use internet cafes in the ports as they are a lot less than on the ship.

On the first day in Rome buy a phone and an international SIM card. This will save you a ton compared to any Canadian phone plan. This summer I bought a phone in Scotland for five pounds and another eight for the extra card. Included were enough minutes for our needs. This will let you be in touch with home and allow you to communicated in Rome.

I would suggest that you must visit the Vatican, the rest is up to you. Be sure to find out when the attractions open an be there as early as you can. They get busier later in the day but of course you will be there in a relatively quiet time of the year.

You are lucky as the Euro could be around $1.25US by the time you get there.

If you want Europe can be visited on a reasonable budget. Get a hotel that includes a free breakfast. Venere.com is a great european hotel website. Eat your main meal at lunch. Department stores and open markets are a great place to get good reasonably priced food. Often house wines are quite good. Many restaurants offer a prix fixe menu which will give you a three or four course meal for a lot less than a la carte choices. Look for deals in the windows or on the signs outside the restaurants. Street food is safe on the continent. Remember europeans eat dinner a lot later than we do. Do not eat where tourists eat but where locals do. Ask people where they eat not where you should eat as many think you want to eat where other tourist do. Avoid North American fast food restaurants and drinks. Sitting outside at a cafe is the most expensive compared to going inside.

Do buy a multi-day transportation pass. If you do use cabs be sure to get the price before you get in or be sure that they use the meter. Often there are additional charges for bags or for extra people. There are websites that can give you an idea of the cost of a specific trip. Cabbies do rip off tourists.

We usually spend less than $100 a day per person excluding the hotel.

Remember to enjoy yourself so don`t try to do too much each day. Buy an ice cream and sit on the Spanish Steps and just enjoy the experience.

The posts that suggest that you use ATM`s are correct. However make sure that you only have a four number pin for use in Europe. Know your ATM daily limit and raise it if necessary. Monitor your cash needs to your daily withdrawal limits. Change large bills from the ATM inside the bank that you just used outside as they should not have a problem if you show them the receipt. Often cabbies, hotels and restaurants have trouble changing them.

Do buy some Euros at your local bank branch before your trip. Use them at your ports-of-call and on your first day in Rome as the exchange rates at the ports is bad.

Let your credit card company know of your travel plans. If not they may freeze your card if they see unusual activity. Happened to us in Florence eventhough we called them. Was a pain to get them released. Be sure that your credit card has a chip in it as you may not be able to use the old swipe type ones. Know what fees your credit card company charges on foreign transactions and how they calculate the exchange rate. Cash might be a lot cheaper.

Clean out your purse and have your husband clean out his wallet. There are no Sears or Bay stores in Rome. If you lose it it will be a lot easier for you to replace only a few cards. Do E-mail yourself the credit card numbers and the phone number to report the loss. Do same with your passport information.

Leave your expensive jewelry and watches at home. Do not be a walking billboard that says rob me. Do not flash your wealth like having an expensive camera around your neck. We have never had a problem. Use the safe in your room if there is one if not use a lock box at the front desk of the hotel. Remember things also go missing from luggage when flying.

Just use common sense.

Archived