What's the most expensive item you've HAD to purchase?

ekerr19

That handsome man I met on the Ryndam who became my husband has cost me a pretty penny. A bigger house, for starters.

;)

(Seriously, I had to run out and buy a new suitcase one time when the combination lock on my Samsonite Oyster case refused to open. Fortunately, there was a luggage shop just down the street from my hotel and I could simply wheel the new one back to my room.)

Holy cow!

It's like that in the mountain towns and resorts here too Jim... don't ever pull into a McDonald's in Vail (right off I-70), a combo meal is about $15.

Last weekend, DS paid $25 for a burger lunch at Keystone...

LOL you TERRORIST SUPPORTER........ :D:D

You and my sister are both bin Laden supporters. :eek: I do not know about since 9-11 but a lot of bin Laden money came from tanzanite mines he owned.

Many tanzanites now come with a certificate that states that the stones are terrorist free.

A battery for my camera... I can't remember exactly how much it was other than we did the math and winced when we realized we were paying about 2.5 times what we paid for the "replacement battery" I had purchased...and knew exactly where it was - in the basket - in our house .. waiting to be packed.... thousands of miles away. :) I know where it was - at the Northern Rim of the Grand Canyon - where you are a pretty captive audience! This time - we are bringing two cameras!

Orlando .... Centra Health Care .. waited hours to see the doctor, they do not bill BCBS .. $160. Got home and learned the hard lesson that we needed to call our primary care within 48 hours for it to be considered a covered referral .... So, we had to pay out of pocket for what would have been a $25. ER copay at the time.

Thankfully, they covered to drugs!!

Peggy Sue

Ekerr -

You're not kidding about the Vail McDonalds.....$.99 menu? Not here! I always joke w/ DH that it's cheaper to eat fast food at Disneyworld than here in Vail! Local specials and the off season......that's when dining becomes "reasonable".

Where in Colorado to you live?

You can't beat Aspen/Snowmass mountain lunches for the biggest ripoff! $50-70 for lunch for 4 on the mountain and 1 hour to get down to the condo if you want to save $. By the time you get all the way down, no time to get back to use your lift to full extent!:( We bite the bullet, eat on the mountain and cook hotdogs or spagetti for dinner!:) Aah - who has energy to go to dinner after a full day skiing! Haven't run into outragious pricing on a cruise - yet. I do recommend taking antibiotics to Jamaica as my DH had a middle ear infection they said was swimmers ear! Prescribed alcohol drops! Needless to say, after the airplane landed - we couldn't get to the ER fast enough!:rolleyes:

What about jewelry from the ship?

When my pal bought his Sapphire and Diamond ring on Oosterdam (which I wear now) I don't recall him mentioning any certificate of origin...

It would just be with the tanzanites. The tanzanite market really fell when the news of the terrorist connection was reported, so many jewelers are now posting a sign that their tanzanites have no connection to terrorists.

Last September we were sitting in the evening in St. Marks square in Venice listening to the musicians performing. We were a party of four, and we ordered 2 gin and tonics and two champagne cocktails and a bag of potato chips/crisps. The bill before tip was 65 euros, about $80. It was worth it, for the beautiful evening and experience. We stopped at a deli/ bar afterwards and had an amazing Amarone (red wine from Verona, wunderbar!) for 25 euros I feel like averaged out we were pretty lucky. :D :eek:

jc

You can't beat Aspen/Snowmass mountain lunches for the biggest ripoff! $50-70 for lunch for 4 on the mountain and 1 hour to get down to the condo if you want to save $. By the time you get all the way down, no time to get back to use your lift to full extent!:( We bite the bullet, eat on the mountain and cook hotdogs or spagetti for dinner!:) Aah - who has energy to go to dinner after a full day skiing! Haven't run into outragious pricing on a cruise - yet. I do recommend taking antibiotics to Jamaica as my DH had a middle ear infection they said was swimmers ear! Prescribed alcohol drops! Needless to say, after the airplane landed - we couldn't get to the ER fast enough!:rolleyes:

I haven't been to Aspen since Bill Johnson won the world cup in 1984, but there was a condo on one of the runs most of the way to the bottom at Snowmass that grilled burgers on a patio and sold beer. I remember that was a pretty good deal, the burger was about $5 and they rang a bell when you tipped them. I really liked Snowmass for skiing BTW.

jc

Ekerr -

You're not kidding about the Vail McDonalds.....$.99 menu? Not here! I always joke w/ DH that it's cheaper to eat fast food at Disneyworld than here in Vail! Local specials and the off season......that's when dining becomes "reasonable".

Where in Colorado to you live?

We are just northwest of the Denver metro area in west Arvada... I work downtown though.

Archived