What's the most expensive item you've HAD to purchase?

ekerr19

I'm curious - the liquor thread got me thinking when I realized that we have paid as much as $10 for a small bottle of water (Hollywood, CA - Renaissance Hotel) and I recently paid about $15 for a small amount (8 tabs) of DayQuil in St. Thomas...

I realized that often times, when we don't have a choice, we are willing to pay highly inflated prices for things that we are able to commonly purchase at a discount while home.

What have you had or needed to purchased away from home? Did the cost amaze you?

9.00 for pepto on the ship for my husband.
But I can tell you that there are times I have awakened in the middle of the night with awful heartburn and would have gladly given twice that to achieve relief! But I agree that such items are highly overpriced when purchased in the convenience packs. But they know we're over a barrel. In answer to the OP's question, I don't really recall having to purchase anything on a trip that was forgotten.

In answer to the OP's question, I don't really recall having to purchase anything on a trip that was forgotten.

Jim - You are lucky! We also paid about $4 for 4 tablets of Advil on the final voyage of the Noordam - I went ashore in Gibralter with the express purpose of finding Tylenol or aspirin... at a local pharmacy - the best aspirin I've ever taken, works in a heartbeat, US$2.80, so I guess I've gotten lucky too!

But I can tell you that there are times I have awakened in the middle of the night with awful heartburn and would have gladly given twice that to achieve relief! But I agree that such items are highly overpriced when purchased in the convenience packs. But they know we're over a barrel. In answer to the OP's question, I don't really recall having to purchase anything on a trip that was forgotten.

Yes, 9.00 and worth every penny!!!!!! A lesson learned though! That was my first cruise.....

What have you had or needed to purchased away from home? Did the cost amaze you?

Jewelry. When you hear a pair of diamond earrings calling your name and insisting you bring them home, well, what's a girl to do? :confused:

And yes, the cost did amaze me.

But that isn't what you meant, was it?;)

Jewelry. When you hear a pair of diamond earrings calling your name and insisting you bring them home, well, what's a girl to do? :confused:

And yes, the cost did amaze me.

But that isn't what you meant, was it?;)

Oh no RuthC - that's fine! I've "been there, done that!" and they do call, don't they???

What's a girl to do.... BUY them!!!!

Ritz Carlton, Key Biscayne I ordered a glass of Merlot at the pool, a small plastic cup arrived half full of wine, with a bill for $22.00. I consider it a MUST purchase, it was a post cruise stay and I had my two kids with me :D

See, this is why I *always* overpack! I am so worried about having to buy stuff and it added up! LOL Anyone I travel with is usually pretty happy that I seem to have a full medicine chest, needle and thread (after paying $17 for a tiny sewing in Cancun), pins, tape (electrical and duck-you'd be amazed how much of this stuff has been used), extension cord, etc.

Next cruise is solo, so I'll *try* and leave this stuff behind...:rolleyes: I said try!

Ritz Carlton, Key Biscayne I ordered a glass of Merlot at the pool, a small plastic cup arrived half full of wine, with a bill for $22.00. I consider it a MUST purchase, it was a post cruise stay and I had my two kids with me :D

Amy - LOL! Definitely on the "must have" list! And these people complain about the cost of liquor on a HAL ship! LOL!

I tell that story all the time....heck, I don't pay over $12 for a BOTTLE for myself at home....I about died. Of course, I tried to act cool....... :o

Based on these boards, today I bought pepto tablets, bonine (a kid's version, too), a small bottle of pain reliever, a small box of bandaids and a roll of tums.....I hope to be prepared this cruise!!

Thanks everyone!! Great post, Ekerr!

I tell that story all the time....heck, I don't pay over $12 for a BOTTLE for myself at home....I about died. Of course, I tried to act cool....... :o

Based on these boards, today I bought pepto tablets, bonine (a kid's version, too), a small bottle of pain reliever, a small box of bandaids and a roll of tums.....I hope to be prepared this cruise!!

Thanks everyone!! Great post, Ekerr!

Amy - Don't forget your favorite sinus medication too! Many brands are hard to find outside the US, though in Mexico (I think it was PV, but can't quite remember) there is a Sam's Club across the street from the pier. We are Costco member's but one of the bartenders (oh, DH looks just like him, lol!) lent us his Sam's Club card so we could use the ATM (it was the closest)...

Many years ago, in a Venice Hotel on the Grand Canal, I paid $5 for a very small bowl of "ice cubes". In reality it was a very small bowl of mostly melted ice cubes, with just a few actual cubes.

But I had to have that diet Coke ice cold!

I paid $23.00 for a Lithium Battery for my camera in Acapulco several years ago. I could have bought it at a Military Exchange for about $11.00, or for about $15.00 (tops) in a local store at home. I really needed the battery since Acapulco was pretty close to the beginning of the cruise and I knew that I would want to take photographs in other ports. Now I always travel with a spare battery!

I am, however, usually like Classynfun1, I pack just about everything. Don't have too much room for my clothes (I'm the Queen of co-ordinates anyway so that's not too much of a problem), but if you need Pepto Bismol, Dramamine, Aspririn/Tylenol, Band-Aids, Super-Glue, Duct Tape, Highliter, Scotch-Tape etc. just knock on my stateroom door - I'll more than likely have just what you need, and the price is very reasonable - a simple thank-you and a smile is all I ask.:)

In Amsterdam... some realllly gooood ssssshhiitt..... :rolleyes:

No my sister brought a $3,000 rock,,, and my mother brought a $1,600 diamond ring....

Me I just paid the customs on the ring :(

PS: Radisson does not sell any drugs onboard in the shops....

I can't decide if it was the tanzanite ring I bought last month in St Thomas...or the sapphire/diamond earrings from Grand Cayman last July....or the diamond studs from Cozumel last August..... Fortunately I paid no duty on any of these. :)

In St. Martin, Cruzermaam decided it was mandatory in that port to buy a bracelet, or some other form of Jewelry. Well, being the boss in this household, I put my foot down. They better buy me a beer. So, she got her bracelet for $1,100 and the salesman opened up his cooler and offered me a brewski. Must be a common demand of surprised spouses that they are prepared for. But, I probably saved a fortune on potential attorney fees by going along.

We did pay 10 Euros (about $13 at the time) for a liter of water in Paris, but considering that was less than 2.5% of the total lunch tab might have been a bargain.

And, the one time I didn't pay a rip price. Flying back to CA from Paris, I smoked my last cigarette in the CDG Admiral's Club. Landed at JFK, and thought a butt might be nice. But, they wanted over $10 a pack, so I waited until we got back home some 7 hours later.

LOL you TERRORIST SUPPORTER........ :D:D

I can't decide if it was the tanzanite ring I bought last month in St Thomas...or the sapphire/diamond earrings from Grand Cayman last July....or the diamond studs from Cozumel last August..... Fortunately I paid no duty on any of these. :)

You and my sister are both bin Laden supporters. :eek: I do not know about since 9-11 but a lot of bin Laden money came from tanzanite mines he owned.

That Lalique crystal Mama polar bear that was in the window of the store on St. Barths. They didn't know thy had it and then couldn't find the box for almost an hour. It's no longer made (they didn't know, thank heavens) and I got it for only $900. Then next door were the two polar bear cubs, $300 each - hmm - I wonder if it was set up that way...:confused:

That Lalique crystal Mama polar bear that was in the window of the store on St. Barths. They didn't know thy had it and then couldn't find the box for almost an hour. It's no longer made (they didn't know, thank heavens) and I got it for only $900. Then next door were the two polar bear cubs, $300 each - hmm - I wonder if it was set up that way...:confused:

Not even a tee-shirt from there in Feb. :( Something I will draw the line at, and $45 tee-shirts is one. I have never seen paxs/crew members coming back to a ship so empty handed.

On our last cruise my suitecase decided to bite the dust on the last night when I was packing. Needless to say, I was running down to the shops trying to find a new suitcase. Ended up buying 2 princess duffle bags on wheels. I think it cost me $80.00.

$40.00 for a pair of underwear in Milan (Not to mention the $150.00 slacks, the $80.00 Polo shirt or the $15.00 socks). Thankfully it ended up all courtesy of British Airways who lost my luggage (along with 2 business associates). We arrived in Milan on Monday morning and our bags caught up to us in Varese Wednesday night.

They lost them again on the way home!

Archived