Ever pay a "Single" rate on Carnival

smc0320

Thanks Firefly! It is what I thought too. Carnival has lost me as a customer for the time being. The only person I can share a stateroom with is my mother, and for the time being we are not able to both leave home same time, so I will have to stop cruising for now, unless I find a good solo deal on another line. Im not stuck on a particular make of automobile, nor am I stuck on a particular cruise line... In fact Im curious now to try another cruise line. I will at least be able to compare products.:)

Some folks are missing the point. Do your research...be realistic...you are not going to sail solo for a decent price during prime time.

Always put in your status when making dummy bookings. Senior, Military, Police etc. Do not forget State where you live. If they ask if you are past guest...check it. Just put in the time to search and if you are flexable....you will find good value.

Above all....forget the term single or solo....just look for what is a good price for you.

Also look at the web site that advertises last minute cruises, and they have a single listing. Sometimes something pops out and I then go to the cruise line to maybe get a better deal. Its all in research....spend the time and you will score.

Also look at the web site that advertises last minute cruises, and they have a single listing. Sometimes something pops out and I then go to the cruise line to maybe get a better deal. Its all in research....spend the time and you will score.

Just dont get fooled. They fooled me once, showing a Carnival solo deal, and then they compare it to a higher rate, and say solos save this much. If you click thru, the solo rate is always something like 200% of ES, no savings. They make it look like there is. False advertising imo.

That TA does make it look like Carnival has solo deals. These are just 200% of the cheapest rate compared to a higher rate, not deals.

Just dont get fooled. They fooled me once, showing a Carnival solo deal, and then they compare it to a higher rate, and say solos save this much. If you click thru, the solo rate is always something like 200% of ES, no savings. They make it look like there is. False advertising imo.

That TA does make it look like Carnival has solo deals. These are just 200% of the cheapest rate compared to a higher rate, not deals.

For sure

That is why I always go to the ships cruise line site. With the deals that come up when sailing alone, there would be no ob credit from the ta site anyhow. And once again, if the price is right.....sail

Also the Epic has single cabins and a solo lounge for them. Look smaller then my bathroom but a neat concept.

I have to have my balcony so it's 200% for me. So just do a couple a year when it's cheap. I figure 200 a day is still cheaper then I would pay on land.

Also the Epic has single cabins and a solo lounge for them. Look smaller then my bathroom but a neat concept.

I have to have my balcony so it's 200% for me. So just do a couple a year when it's cheap. I figure 200 a day is still cheaper then I would pay on land.

That is realistic. My last 5 have been aft balconys, 4 of them corners. The price was not what I wanted, but the cabins were. This cruise coming up is a balcony that I am satisified with because of the price. At this late date I would not expect to find an aft balc available. I am happy with what I have.

So you get free laundry?

Hi there! Thanks for coming on here just to post a rude comment and nothing else....much appreciated!

It's not about free laundry...it is about achieving a certain status that comes with a few perks that I know I will always enjoy whether I am booked in a suite or a small inside room. The priority embark/debark/tender is a wonderful thing. The free was & fold laundry is a terrific perk. Other than that, I could care less.

But I know that I am so close to Platinum and was happy to see such a great deal that I will be taking whether I find someone to go with me or not...but I asked just to see if single rate occur at all as I have read about them in the past.

For those who did post something helpful, thank you!!

Hi there! Thanks for coming on here just to post a rude comment and nothing else....much appreciated!

It's not about free laundry...it is about achieving a certain status that comes with a few perks that I know I will always enjoy whether I am booked in a suite or a small inside room. The priority embark/debark/tender is a wonderful thing. The free was & fold laundry is a terrific perk. Other than that, I could care less.

But I know that I am so close to Platinum and was happy to see such a great deal that I will be taking whether I find someone to go with me or not...but I asked just to see if single rate occur at all as I have read about them in the past.

For those who did post something helpful, thank you!!

Sorry was not meant that way but amazed at all the people that book a cruise ASAP so they are at some level??? For what really I don't understand? At

Least RCCL gives a discount, Internet,etc.

I have been on 5 trips this year that were all free including airfare and meals. So I have a hard concept with a week free at Atlantis or free laundry and crowded VIP on Carnival?

it seems crazy ???? Then again in Vegas we call it chasing comps and never an advantage.

On many carnival sailings, when I do a mock booking when I get to the choice of room there's an option for upper/lower and upper/lower porthole. If you select one of these options they actually DEDUCT money off your total. I've only seen this when I put in 1 traveler. This deduction brings the total lower than 200%.

Hasn't anyone ever noticed this?

On many carnival sailings, when I do a mock booking when I get to the choice of room there's an option for upper/lower and upper/lower porthole. If you select one of these options they actually DEDUCT money off your total. I've only seen this when I put in 1 traveler. This deduction brings the total lower than 200%.

Its still 200%, the default on the carnival.com booking engine shows the lowest fare for an inside as a 4A cabin. When you click on upper/lower porthole you are booking a 1A cabin. For awhile it was impossible to book a 1A online, this is the way they fixed it.

Its easier to see if you book on a different booking engine.

Even when you put it in for 2 people, they still deduct money off the total. It's the same amount, in total, that's deducted, whether you put it in for 1 or 2 people. That category of room is cheaper than the regular interiors, but a solo will still pay 200% of the lower cruise fare. 2 people would pay the same amount of cruise fare, but they would pay for 2 gov't fees & taxes, while a solo would only pay for one.

When the April 2012 Hawaii roundtrip cruise on the Spirit was first put up, this particular category (1A) actually was 150% for solos. That's the only exception I've seen, and it was shortly after they made the switch to all 200%. Those rooms were snatched up within hours, but I did see them. I could've booked one if I wanted to.

Couldn't resist putting my two cents in -- if I had to pay 200% anyway, I'd invite a friend to come with me and just pay the extras (tips and extra fees). If a friend had said previously they could not cruise, it could be financial and not lack of interest or time off. It would not be costing the original solo cruiser any extra money.

I just enjoy everything more if I can share it with someone.

Amen..Happy Holidays,,Great thread.... OP just go for..as all have said price per day .....and forget about brand loyalty,,,just a brand you can stand.

I really wish I did not have an ES credit to use...since air is so much i might use that for a shortie and combine with a Royal shortie..last minute and bid air etc.

Couldn't resist putting my two cents in -- if I had to pay 200% anyway, I'd invite a friend to come with me and just pay the extras (tips and extra fees). If a friend had said previously they could not cruise, it could be financial and not lack of interest or time off. It would not be costing the original solo cruiser any extra money.

Speaking for myself, I cruise solo by choice. I simply want to kick back and be self indulgent. There are other times I cruise with all my family and enjoy that moment.

Once again...forget the 200% term.

200% of x is a lot less than 200% of y.

I need to chill from people and compromise too, sometimes in travel...yet have the option to be with people the way cruising allows. I also think you made a lovely very valid point that all should consider with the right person...not always worry about being taken advantage of...this dynamic can be lovely..if the payee and paid for are very clear to be fair and all with advantages and not be in any weird power trip or struggle...s.

I am going in a studio cabin in Epic for the second time on Saturday. In both cases, it would have been cheaper for me to pay 200% for an inside on Carnival. The Epic studios are 100 square feet; Carnival insides are 185 square feet. The cheapest I've seen the studios is $899 for a 7 day cruise (and the rate went as high as $1449 for the NYE cruise, $1649 for Christmas); you can generally get this same rate or lower on a comparable Carnival sailing in an inside. I chose to pay more on Epic because the whole solo experience with the lounge, happy hours, etc is fantastic. Plus the Epic is an amazing ship. If I wanted to sail cheaper, in general, Carnival is still the cheapest route even at 200%. Sure, some line may charge a lower percentage, but generally, the base rates are higher, so the the overall cost is higher than 200% on Carnival. Of course, there will always be exceptions.

Except that tips and tax aren't the only "extras" on a cruise. If I have to pay travel costs (plane or train tickets), food before and after the cruise (on travel days), plus, I'm not the kind of person who could sit there and drink (either pop or alcohol) in front of someone else and not offer them one ($$$), not to mention port adventures....well, that can become very expensive.

I've taken my goddaughter on 3 cruises - the first two were for her birthday (so a gift) and the 3rd one was me thinking, "I might as well cause it's going to cost almost the same for 2 as it would for 1". Despite not doing any expensive shore excursions (basically Margarittaville at Grand turk - including the flow rider for her), she still cost me a pretty penny that cruise. Now, it's okay cause she's generally very easy to travel with (though I think she gave me my first grey hair on that last cruise), but still. It's an additional cost that I have to think about before asking her if she wants to cruise again.

Plus, I've travelled with other people that just totally ticked me off by the third day. I can't travel with my best friend anymore because she is very picky and somewhat judgemental. I just can't take it in long extended periods. I'm on vacation - I'll eat what I want, drink what I want, gamble what I want, not pay attention to other people (what they are wearing, saying, doing). I just want to have fun and relax; not everyone gets that and I don't want to have to take a vacation after my vacation because I was generous and took someone else who had different expectations than I did.

When the April 2012 Hawaii roundtrip cruise on the Spirit was first put up, this particular category (1A) actually was 150% for solos. That's the only exception I've seen, and it was shortly after they made the switch to all 200%. Those rooms were snatched up within hours, but I did see them. I could've booked one if I wanted to.

I was able to grab one of those. Probably my last solo on Carnival. Have booked on the Breeze TA with my son.

Amen..Happy Holidays,,Great thread.... OP just go for..as all have said price per day .....and forget about brand loyalty,,,just a brand you can stand.

I really wish I did not have an ES credit to use...since air is so much i might use that for a shortie and combine with a Royal shortie..last minute and bid air etc.

I agree those ES credits do restrict you.

I have also noticed that Carnival does not offer the early saver rates on all the 1A cabins. The Nov Breeze I booked the 1A with portholes as I prefer that to the 4A inside but no early saver price, 11 months ahead:(

Archived