Need advice SS or Verandah on the Zuiderdam

thecook

We had our second balcony on the Oosterdam to Hawaii and I do believe it will be our last. While I did enjoy it, I sat on it alone most often, since my DW is not keen on them. So we will save a bit of money and enjoy an inside or outside cabin instead and the largest balcony on the ship, the lower promenade.

We had one of those cabins on the Zuiderdam and loved it. It was the perfect size and I wish this mid-suite option were available on all the other ships. The big SA suite is really way too big for our own needs but we have liked access to the Neptune Lounge and the extras that come with a SA level suite.

But for the SS level and for $1000 - ($500 per person?) it depends on how long the trip and how much time you might want to spend in your cabin. If this is a 14 day cruise, $36 a day per person -- might well be worth it. Not so for less maybe.

Drinking $36 of mojitos a day would not be a good trade off for me. YMMV.

We just got off the Zuidy and had an SS room. Personally I would not spend the extra $1000 on the SS as compared to the regular balcony. I do not think you get your money's worth. Now if you were talking about one of the newer ships like the Eurodam or N A I would consider it more because the SS rooms in that class are much larger as is the balcony.

We just got off the Zuidy and had an SS room. Personally I would not spend the extra $1000 on the SS as compared to the regular balcony. I do not think you get your money's worth. Now if you were talking about one of the newer ships like the Eurodam or N A I would consider it more because the SS rooms in that class are much larger as is the balcony.

This is at least the second time I've seen you say that the SS cabins on the Eurodam are much larger than those on the Zuiderdam.

From the HAL site:

Zuiderdam SS

Approximately 372–384 sq. ft. including verandah.

Eurodam SS

Approximately 273–456 sq. ft. including verandah.

Can you please share with us what specific cabin you had on each ship?

We had an aft VA on the "Z" forthe canal cruise. It was awesome - great for viewing return through the locks. It was actually an gift from the upgrade fairy since we had booked a VD. Will be trrying an SS on the Westerdam next week - price was too good not to try it.

This is at least the second time I've seen you say that the SS cabins on the Eurodam are much larger than those on the Zuiderdam.

From the HAL site:

Zuiderdam SS

Approximately 372–384 sq. ft. including verandah.

Eurodam SS

Approximately 273–456 sq. ft. including verandah.

Can you please share with us what specific cabin you had on each ship?

Thanks for the heads up on this choice. That is quite a range of cabin sizes on the Eurodam since the standard R/S verandah is 273 feet, and that is the starting size for the Eurodam SS. That doesn't make sense to me.

Please post your thoughts and advice ..we are booking tomorrow and are considering a SS room..is it worth the extra $1000 it will cost us? Thank you

The largest regular VA verandah stateroom comes in at 398 sq ft, not sure which particular room that would be, but it would be the same size as the SS rooms. Same size, $1000.00 less?, no brainer, I'd save your money. However, if size is an issue, the verandah alone on a SS, SY or SZ is IMHO worth it on a Panama Canal cruise. I book the SB or SC, stern corner suites simply because they have the largerst verandahs aboard the entire ship. Perfect for seeing the Canal up close and personal. ;)

Only you can determine whether it is worth the extra cost or not. On the Oosterdam, there was a significant price decrease, but we opted to use the savings for an SY, which came to about $300 pp more than a midship balcony. However, we were also traveling with my DM and DB who were in an OV cabin, so we knew they'd be spending some time in our cabin particularly while we cruised into and out of Glacier Bay. As a result, the extra space and larger balcony were a huge plus.

We're back on the Oo next week and opted for a standard midship balcony cabin as the price was just too high for my liking. However, I will tell you that I will miss the extra space, particularly in the bathroom. Having a separate whirlpool tub and shower was great as one could soak while the other one showered. In addition, the double sink was a plus, as was the extra desk and extra light afforded by a window over one of the desks.

Again, only you can decide, but the extra space is always nice.

Thanks for your thoughts..I neglected to say that the cruise is a 7 day Alaska. I know that we will use the balcony this is a return trip for DH and I!! I'm going to sleep on all the info you have provided and make a decision tomorrow. Either way, we will have a great trip on HAL

Thanks for your thoughts..I neglected to say that the cruise is a 7 day Alaska. I know that we will use the balcony this is a return trip for DH and I!! I'm going to sleep on all the info you have provided and make a decision tomorrow. Either way, we will have a great trip on HAL

I think for the 7 day Alaska I personally would take the balcony, pocket the $1000 and do an awesome excursion-like helicopter/dog sledding.

Archived