Our negative experience with luggage direct

cruizn2escape

We were on the 12/12/11 sailing of the Maasdam and decided to use luggage direct through Holland America. We went to the front office with forms in hand to be sure they were completed correctly.

We had a 3:15p.m. flight home so was told we would get our boarding passes and luggage tags around 5 p.m. the day before we got back to FLL. (can't print boarding passes more than 24 hours before the flight)

At noon we got an envelope with a boarding pass for my husband and his luggage tag. None for me...I went to the front office and asked about it - where was mine and how could they print a boarding pass so early...they told me mine would come around 5 p.m.

I did not get anything so I went back to the front office after 5 and they said they would check....about an hour later I got a call and was told they could not get my boarding pass and would I want to cancel? Well, yes I would, why would I pay $19 for a service I didn't get. Also requested my husband's name be removed. I was assured they would do that and we would get new tags for our luggage for the "normal" depature from HAL.

Hours later - no tags, called the front desk...Oh, we are sending them up now. (I am sure they would not have sent them, had I not called)

Get to FLL and was told at curb side check in, we had already checked 4 bags at the pier...this is the info they got from HAL said I had to go inside and find someone to assist- after I waited for about 30 minutes to talk with a Delta rep., I excused myself and went around some people at the check in site and walked up to a supervisor at the counter and asked for help.

He was great! He fixed the error HAL had made, and checked us in.

I realize many people use Luggage Direct with no problems, but wanted to relate our situation and suggest as with all things, you check over everything they give and follow up yourself - don't wait for HAL to catch an error.

Wow, that was quite a messup. I never considered the problem when you cancel and then do not update the baggage lists in time.

In Oct. we had an early flight out of FLL, so we tried the self-disembarkation. If you are able to handle your own luggage, this is a great option. They called us off at 7:15am and we were at the GATE for our airline at 8AM.

If you do this option and get to the airport early, be sure to check with your airline about the possibility of catching an earlier flights. Our friends did this and got home almost 5 hours earlier than planned.

DaveOKC

If you do this option and get to the airport early, be sure to check with your airline about the possibility of catching an earlier flights. Our friends did this and got home almost 5 hours earlier than planned.

DaveOKC

I was wondering if it is possible to take an earlier flight if you've used the Luggage Direct program as the baggage has already been tagged and put somewhere(?). It's nice to know that is an option.

Most airlines will not let you catch an earlier flight if you have already checked your luggage. However, they have been know to make exceptions so check with them, but likely your luggage will be on the later flight.

This is why we like the self-disembarkation program. We keep our luggage with us and checkin at the front airline desk. Of course this works better if you only have one bag each (plus a carryon) and both of you can handle your own luggage. We travel alot and have learned to how to reduce what we take. Using the ship's laundry program helps in this, but careful planning goes along away as well.

DaveOKC

Archived