Inside Room

Splash85

We are a family of four, two children 4 years and 2 years. We have cruised with our 4 year old when he was 20 months but haven't been since...

So we are deciding between Alaskan Cruise options. We can afford a balcony on either Carnival Spirit or Holland America Westerdaam if we go in May but are realistic about the lack of wildlife in that month or we can do an inside room on the Norwegian Pearl anytime in the summer. Has anyone ever had an inside room with two young children? How did it work out for you?

Thanks!

BTW, I know Holland America is not so kid friendly... the big pull is that they go to Sitka and my Great Grandmother was born and raised in Sitka so we would love to see it.

Your children will be fine on formal nights. I noticed the younger children (who looked adorable in their outfits) getting lots of attention. And the staff are wonderful with them. There isn't anything they wouldn't do for my youngest, including going down to the crew mess to get her the last box of Fruit Loops.

I think the Alaska itinerary is one where I'd do anything it took to have a balcony. I have no problem with an inside cabin for any other route, but since there is so much beauty viewable from the ship, I would absolutely want to have that to miss as little as possible.

Best,

Mia

Will your 2-year old be 3 (and potty trained) by the cruise? That would make a difference to me re whether to go on the HAL cruise or not. It might not be the only factor, but something to consider if you want to get a break from the toddler. :)

We did Alaska on the Rotterdam a year and a half ago (summer 2010) and my Club HAL-eligible kids loved it. We had an ocean-view room, but honestly we should have just done an inside. With the Alaska sun in the summertime, it was hard to get my youngest to sleep (he was just barely 2 at the time) and he was up early with the sun. We couldn't afford a balcony, so that wasn't an option. A window really doesn't give you much of a view anyway. I would do an inside or spring for a verandah and skip the ocean view category entirely.

On some HAL ships they have very large inside cabins on the main deck, which is what we're doing this time on our upcoming cruise to the Caribbean. I am not sure which ships have them and which don't, though, so if you have questions about that, I would ask about it on the HAL board. The inside cabin we booked is larger than any of the other cabins on the ship until you get to the suite category. The inside cabins on different decks are much smaller, though, so you have to be careful when looking at the ship deck plans that you are really booking one of the big ones.

It will be my husband and I with a 3-year old and 6-year old. The 8-year old will be in a cabin with my parents. I am so happy all 3 of my kids are old enough to do Club HAL now! The older two loved it and I have no doubts the 3-year old will have a blast, too.

The J category cabins on the maindeck of the Westerdam are very roomy. They have a pull out sofabed and upper berth. We've stayed in these rooms with two teenaged girls:eek:. If it's space that is your concern, these cabins are great and have large drawers under the bed for lots of storage (with more room for your suitcases too).

We've also stayed in the I category inside rooms on the Westerdam,again with two teenaged girls. The cabin layout was different, but still lots of room. The sofa bed was along the wall and did not "pull out" (think college dorm room sofa/bed).

BTW, I know Holland America is not so kid friendly... the big pull is that they go to Sitka and my Great Grandmother was born and raised in Sitka so we would love to see it.

My family of 3 (including a 3.5 year old) will be doing an inside room on HAL to Alaska.

We chose HAL based on the itinerary.

They have kids clubs... (On all of our cruses, I have never met staff/crew that were anti-kids, quite the opposite.)

There might be soome kid hating passengers, but how often will you run into them? They will not be the basis for my cruise choice.

We have had no problems with insides - space wise & would not forsee any difference with another small child. We limit what we bring & store it properly - luggage under the bed, clothes in closets/drawers, toys/books in the bag that they came in & we limit those.

On our HAL cruise we purchased the unlimited laundry package & I figure that we will pack 50% less as a result.

We have sailed to Alaska twice on HAL. The first was on an oceanview when our daughter was 6 months old and on an inside room when our kids were 4 and 7 years old last year. We didn't have any issues with an inside room. We were on the Rotterdam and the inside cabins were actually pretty spacious compared to other ships we've been on with a lot of storage.

While I would have loved to get a balcony, it was more economical to get an inside during the peak cruising season(4th of July week). Though, the ship had plenty of outdoor spaces and deck chairs to enjoy the scenery. The daylight hours were so long and with plenty of activities on each port and onboard, we hardly spent time in the cabin.

Our kids loved Club HAL and they were actually pretty kid-friendly. Granted there weren't that many kids on board but it was great because they got some special attention. Formal nights and dining was never an issue and the staff were wonderful.

BTW, we absolutely loved Sitka and was one of the reasons we did a repeat cruise. Have you looked into HAL during the summer instead of NCL?

Just wanted to say, we just got back from Carnival with three kids in our stateroom. We had a group of 15, so my mom booked my son's room elsewhere and he stayed with us. It was an interior room. Ages 11, 4 and 2. Only the 2 year old napped. I layed down with her once, but other than that, we layed her down and told her "nap time" and all hung out in the room until she woke up happy. =)

We had two twins which made a king and then the two upper berths. We pushed the "king" up against one wall (moved the side table with lamp) and gave the 2 yr old a place to sleep (up against the wall) and 2 pillows on the other side of her. It "blocked" the kicks and movement with DH and I in the same bed during nighttime sleep. She knew it was her "bed" for the week. We brought her toddler pillow and her lovey (blanket) and she was set!

I had read that a balcony was a must in the case of naps, but this cruise was given to us as a gift - and we took it! lol We were fine and had an awesome time. Only left them in Camp Carnival for 1 hour - they were less than thrilled, so we just all hung out the rest of the time.

We took some pre-wrapped dollar spot items and let them open them and play with them at dinner. We also had leverage with the arcade after dinner! My 2 year old didn't even need the money, she just loved to run around and play. The 4 year old and 11 year old did, though!

Archived