Carnival Flat Iron Steak

finditapt

My experience with the flatiron steak mirrors both of yours. I loved the flavor of the steak and gravy but I could have used a chainsaw to cut the damn thing. It was one tough piece of meat.

I've given up on ordering Carnival beef with the exception of the Prime Rib.

I just returned from the Magic (12/11). Had the flat iron steak 4 of 7 nights...very good steak, good flavor, tender enough (depending on how one orders it), usually order a baked potato to go with it.

The MDR isn't a 5 star resturant and if one approaches the food quality as well as the service knowing this going in, then one shouldn't be disappointed. I for one enjoyed the food, the service, as well as the atmosphere.

Beats the HELL out of Burger King.

My experience with the flatiron steak mirrors both of yours. I loved the flavor of the steak and gravy but I could have used a chainsaw to cut the damn thing. It was one tough piece of meat.

I agree, one tough piece of meat!!:eek:

I think they take a well aged boot and boil it for about an hour. I have tried the flat iron several times and never cared for it. My GF always seem to get a decent cut, so it is hit and miss.

I believe that Flat Iron steak is converted from it's Latin definition of : Cut of meat usually ground into hamburger meat ; Yuppie term for thin cut crappy sirloin steak dressed up to sound "special"

I make flat iron steak all the time, I just throw it in a skillet for a few minutes on each side and melt some garlic butter on top......fabulous. I don't know if you have Shoprite near you but that's where I buy it :)

I will say that the one that I had on The Dream was very good.

As another poster said, the MDR is not a five star restaurant so I certainly don't expect a five star meal. I've done the Chef's Table on both of our Carnival cruises and saw how the kitchen operates. We are talking about meals that are mass produced from fresh ingredients.

You can always order some other entree if the one you order does not suit your tastes.

I agree with you. I loved it. Had it 4 of my 8 nights. To me, the other steaks and prime rib I ordered had too much fat in them.

I was just trying to see if anyone out there actually had Carnival's recipe for how they made this. Found plenty of others online, just not Carnival's.

I just returned from the Magic (12/11). Had the flat iron steak 4 of 7 nights...very good steak, good flavor, tender enough (depending on how one orders it), usually order a baked potato to go with it.

The MDR isn't a 5 star resturant and if one approaches the food quality as well as the service knowing this going in, then one shouldn't be disappointed. I for one enjoyed the food, the service, as well as the atmosphere.

Beats the HELL out of Burger King.

Agreed. I ordered it twice and it was shoe leather both times. I considered ordering it a 3rd time on the Glory but our waiter actually told me not to - "its not very good" were his exact words as I recall.

Probably the worst cut of beef I've ever ordered in a restaurant.

The key to enjoying this steak is to remember that the MDR uses the european method of judging meat doneness. the Europe method tends to be one level more done, than the american method. So if you want a "medium" done steak, order it "Medium Rare".

If you order it "well done", you will have to brush the ashes off it before you can eat it. Its charcoal at that point.

At home I sprinkle the flat iron steak with Adolph's tenderizer, poke all over with a fork then marinate in a mixture of canola oil, splash of lemon juice, dash of garlic powder and small sprinkle of parsley. I let it sit all day with a flip to the otherside half way and cook on a grill or in a pan for no more that 7 minutes per side. Perfectly tender, and done medium-rare. I do flank steak the same way. Great price for a decent piece of beef.

The key to enjoying this steak is to remember that the MDR uses the european method of judging meat doneness. the Europe method tends to be one level more done, than the american method. So if you want a "medium" done steak, order it "Medium Rare".

I agree with this method when ordering the flat iron. On my last cruise on Liberty, I ordered it medium rare both times and it came out just under medium, exactly the way I like it. I always enjoy a sirloin type steak so I do like the Carnival flat iron. Try this ordering method. Hopefully it works. Enjoy.

Edited by JohnSpo

I agree with this method when ordering the flat iron. On my last cruise on Liberty, I ordered it medium rare both times and it came out just under medium, exactly the way I like it. I always enjoy a sirloin type steak so I do like the Carnival flat iron. Try this ordering method. Hopefully it works. Enjoy.

I agree. I think even some land based restaurants "overcook" their beef. I think it probably has something to do with all of the health scares out there from under cook meat. Most places will now only cook ground beef to medium well or well done. I love a good hamburger cooked medium.

I think they take a well aged boot and boil it for about an hour. I have tried the flat iron several times and never cared for it. My GF always seem to get a decent cut, so it is hit and miss.

I thought that the leftovers were made into boots.

I don't agree that this cut of beef is a steak.

It is a very toght piece of meat which doesn't grind well so it can't become a burger. I tried it once. I won't buy this at home and I don't want it on a cruise, but that is CCL quality and value

I ordered the Flat Iron Steak twice on our last 5 night cruise. Both times it was tender and cooked to a perfect medium, just as ordered. My husband ordered it once and made the comment that it was actually more tender then the Prime Rib slice that we had ordered the previous evening.

From what I have read here on CC, it really must be hit-or-miss on the Flat Iron Steaks, but we had a good experience and would certainly order it again.

:):)

The flat iron steak must be really hit or miss because when I read all of these shoe leather comments I just shake my head. It was one of my favourite meals onboard the night I ordered it. I had read to not ask for it to be cooked beyond medium and thankfully I like my meat cooked medium rare so it was just fine.

I will most likely try it again on my next Carnival sailing just to make sure it wasn't a fluke:);)