Regent 7 day Med or Celeb 11 day Med

scarlett81

50th anniversary for my senior parents-never cruised before. It would be them, me and hubby and our 5 yo and 1 yo in another cabin. We've never cruised before either but have traveled extensively.

The Regent sailing is a sailing targeted to families-so I'm no more worried about that ship and the kids vs Celeb's. I spoke to a Regent rep and he said he would not recommend their line (had to be honest) in general for kids, however a couple sailings a year are more geared towards kids. There is a program for my 5 yo. Celeb has lots of programs of course, however we're there to be with grandma and grandpa and I highly doubt it matters much either way.

The Regent sailing begins in Istanbul, in which case we'd arrive early and spend 3 nights there. Then there's the typical round the Med to 6-7 ports. It stops at a couple more obscure places that the huge ships don't go to. We'd end in Athens where we'd overnight.

The Celeb cruise begins in Rome, we'd arrive 2 nights early, then does the typical Med pattern. There are 4 sea days on this cruise. It overnights in Istanbul, but departs at noon so there's not tons of time on land that day. It returns to Rome and we fly home.

My biggest concern with the Regent itinerary is its alot of moving around (3 times) with the kids. And we totally miss out on Rome and Italy with that itinerary-though we've been there already we have alot of memories there and wanted to share that with our family. The biggest 2 pluses with Regent are that its a smaller ship, a notch above luxe-wise (so I hear) and that we really wanted to spend more time in Istanbul.

I have researched, I have gone over and over but its driving me nuts and I just can't decide!! My parents insist they don't care and they keep saying they just want me to take care of it all. (thats alot of pressure!) Hubby is definitely leaning towards Regent bc he's more of a 5 star guy. We have just traveled so much and been to so many amazing hotels, that he doesn't want to be disappointed. Its a big investment to take 6 people to Europe.

Pricewise once you figure in all thats included with Regent vs the additional estimated costs of Celeb its actually almost the same price.

I'm just wondering if anyone will have any thoughts or ideas here that haven't occured to me. :eek:

Well, it would be a no-brainer for me...11 days tops 7 days every time. On Regent, I don't know how you are going to do 6-7 ports in a week, unless they do two ports in a day ( I have done 6 ports in 4 days.) With parents old enough to have been married 50 years, I would be concerned about exhaustion on such port intensive cruises, and welcome thesea days. Especially if you are considering cruises in the heat of July/Aug. EM

hello.

I've seen your thread also on the Regent board.

we've sailed 8 times with Regent and theirs is the only product we know. we were on Mariner this past October for the 14-day Athens to Rome and certain elements are still clear in my mind.

is the primary focus of your planned holiday a trip with and/or for your parents? you've always mentioned them first. is the idea of a cruise so they can be with their grandkids and you and your husband also stay amused?

the kids are too young to be in school so you are sailing during school break to be in the Med? it'll be hot. your folks will be ok on tours? or are they staying onboard? Regent includes excursions in the fare but if they're not taking them, why pay, especially for a port-intensive cruise. Celeb doubtless has many more amusement options for pax who stay onboard.

Rome is easy to get to and a fly-in, spend a week, fly home is simple even with children in tow. Istanbul is trickier to make as a single-destination vacation but flying in and spending a few days before a cruise will get you two birds with that one...?

the basic Regent accommodation is swell for two but don't believe people who say two children will also fit. yes, they will fit, but a point of luxury is lost. you're looking at least at a Mariner PH?

your folks will need BC to Europe regardless of who you cruise with. economy is inhumane for people that age.

I realize I am drifting in my thoughts. what I wanted to add to the conversation is that I believe you should focus on the needs of your parents for your trip. you've already plotted out your health needs and the needs of your children are settled in your mind. the Celeb product is as well-regarded by their fans as is Regent's by theirs.

I would end by asking... have you considered Disney? family-oriented. the adults have many venues they can enjoy that don't involve the mouse. no slogging ashore as the ship is easily the destination. you say your husband is tilting towards the luxury of Regent. luxury is different things to different people. he should find it any way you choose to go.

Archived