Golden Princess Oceanview cabins on Plaza Deck 5

Adventures ahead

Most will be under the window. There are a few cabins that have beds against the wall but I don't remember which ones.

This is correct, I am not sure what cabin they are ether. We had one on one cruise and it was real hard to see the TV.

This is correct, I am not sure what cabin they are ether. We had one on one cruise and it was real hard to see the TV.

Hard to see the TV, yes. However, I loved laying on my side and being able to look out the window and see the beautiful sky. I rarely watch TV on a cruise - or should I say - I never watch TV on a cruise so that view of the sky was fantastic.

Not much noise, no where near engines, anchor rarely drops except in Maui, no notable vibrations unless thrusters in use (rare). We loved ours.

For those that have had these cabin, a

few questions.

How was the noise? Hear the engines?

Anchor? Vibrations?

Thanks in advance for answering.

For those that have had these cabin, a

few questions. How was the noise? Hear the engines?

Anchor? Vibrations? Thanks in advance for answering.

I'm the OP. We stayed in P204 (second cabin from the front) on the Golden in August. We didn't hear any noise and it was very convenient to be on Plaza - a quick walk to the dining room, Intl Cafe and Internet room without needing to take an elevator. It was also easy to walk only one deck up for the theatre, purser's desk and some of the shops.

P204 was an upgrade for us from a guarantee obstructed view on deck 8. I was concerned about it being so forward but that wasn't an issue. I was only disappointed that the bed was under the window, unlike most of the obstructed view cabins on deck 8 (unless they are cabins that also have bunks). When putting the beds together in P204, one side was against the wall so you had to crawl into bed from the foot. I've learned that I would rather have a (carefully selected, if possible) obstructed view cabin on deck 8 to get the more spacious, preferred layout of the bed not being under the window and being able to stand in front of the window. However, I think (but am not sure) that some of the cabins further down the hall on Plaza towards the cafe may be a bit larger. We were so far forward that our cabin bumped out into the hall as the ship narrowed near the bow and our window was 'sunken' instead of being flat to the wall and being able to walk right up to it.

If offered this 'upgrade' again (will be on Golden again in April 2012), I wanted to know if all of the Plaza deck cabins have the same layout. Some people have said yes, others no. If anyone knows which Plaza oceanview cabins have the bed on the inside wall, or if the windows are not 'sunken', please let me know.

All Princess cabins are pre-fab and with nearly no exceptions (except HC) are the exact same size within a category. There are no larger or smaller OV's.

The bed is under the window (in queen configuration) about 99% of the time also.

I'm the OP. We stayed in P204 (second cabin from the front) on the Golden in August. We didn't hear any noise and it was very convenient to be on Plaza - a quick walk to the dining room, Intl Cafe and Internet room without needing to take an elevator. It was also easy to walk only one deck up for the theatre, purser's desk and some of the shops.

P204 was an upgrade for us from a guarantee obstructed view on deck 8. I was concerned about it being so forward but that wasn't an issue. I was only disappointed that the bed was under the window, unlike most of the obstructed view cabins on deck 8 (unless they are cabins that also have bunks). When putting the beds together in P204, one side was against the wall so you had to crawl into bed from the foot. I've learned that I would rather have a (carefully selected, if possible) obstructed view cabin on deck 8 to get the more spacious, preferred layout of the bed not being under the window and being able to stand in front of the window. However, I think (but am not sure) that some of the cabins further down the hall on Plaza towards the cafe may be a bit larger. We were so far forward that our cabin bumped out into the hall as the ship narrowed near the bow and our window was 'sunken' instead of being flat to the wall and being able to walk right up to it.

If offered this 'upgrade' again (will be on Golden again in April 2012), I wanted to know if all of the Plaza deck cabins have the same layout. Some people have said yes, others no. If anyone knows which Plaza oceanview cabins have the bed on the inside wall, or if the windows are not 'sunken', please let me know.

All Princess cabins are pre-fab and with nearly no exceptions (except HC) are the exact same size within a category. There are no larger or smaller OV's.

The bed is under the window (in queen configuration) about 99% of the time also.

The Grand and modified Grand (Emerald, Crown Pr, etc) class of ships have two person Emerald deck regular OV cabins that have the bed against the side wall. On these ships only the Emerald deck OV cabins that accommodate more than two and the Plaza deck OVs have the beds under the window.

First shot is Golden Pr 2 persons Emerald deck OV cabin, second is same on the Emerald Princess and third same on Crown.

Since the Emerald deck contain most of the OV cabins on these ships and most are two person cabins, your 99% is way off the mark unless you are speaking of Plaza deck 5 regular OV cabins only.

Golden2personOV.jpg.6284c30fe420f07f4b7eda886fe9b50a.jpg

Emerald2personOV.jpg.44512efda8f94a4b3eda80c57891dbba.jpg

CrownE705.jpg.b4724aae2d510575d7b652200b104413.jpg

Thanks, Bob

It's as I thought. We've had Emerald deck OV cabins on the Ruby, Emerald, Star and Caribbean, and they've all had the bed against the inside wall. Because of this, in spite of the lure of being on Deck 5 for reasons as previously stated, I'll try not to accept a regular oceanview cabin on Deck 5 as an upgrade. Cheers! We're cruising!

Archived