Passports

paddy Anne

When you get off the ship, do you carry your passports or just your sail and sign?

thanks,

Paddy Anne

Either or.. IE: US citizens do not need a passport so to say, as long as it is a closed loop tour and leaving from the US. Not sure what Canadian rules are though..

I bring my driver's license and Sail and Sign. This will be a LONG LONG thread where many will warn you of the need for a passport if you miss the ship. This is a hot button issue. I reason that I am more likely to get my passport stolen from my bag on the beach as I swim in the ocean than I am of missing the ship or having some catastrophic medical emergency. You'll have to answer this question for yourself because you'll hear a hundred reasons for either school of thought. Enjoy your cruise!

I agree with kroozers it has be your decision. But hearing from other people is not a bad ideal. I choose to carry ours with us. If you do miss the ship and can meet it at the next port then you will most likely need it to get in that country were the ship is at. There are ways to carry it "on" you to make sure you don't lose it. Also there are water proof cases for water excursions.

I bought a blue Carnival pouch and always stick it in there. I just feel better having it with me. Of course never had to use it other then getting on the ship. :)

I agree with Kroozers as well, I'm more concerned with losing our passports while in port. We leave our passports in the safe and go ahsore with our sail and sign card, drivers license, a credit card and a photocopy of our passports. ;)

Holly

Our passports go in the safe when we board and stay there. We bring a photo copy to ports. I know the photo copy won't be usefull to fly home In case of emergency, but it will expidite the process at the Canadian embassy. Since it has all the info . I don't want to chance it being stolen or lost while on an excursion or at the beach.

We bring a photo copy of the passport and the sign and sail. I know when we got back on the boat in St. Thomas, and the Bahamas.. They asked for our passports, and the copy was fine. The cruise before to cozumel, jamaica, and Grand Cayman didn't ask for the passport. I had heard about the copy trick, and it works just great.. Don't want my passport lost!!!

thank you for all the responses and here is the reasoning.

I am traveling alone with my 10yo. she has no drivers license. Also we will swim together on excursions and I worry about our passports. I can fit my sign and sail and credit card into my little pouch i swim with but not passports.

cheers

thank you for all the responses and here is the reasoning.

I am traveling alone with my 10yo. she has no drivers license. Also we will swim together on excursions and I worry about our passports. I can fit my sign and sail and credit card into my little pouch i swim with but not passports.

cheers

Something I'm looking into is a passport card. Valid for travel between the US, Canada, Mexico and the Caribbean. Costs a lot less than a passport book. My DD's (almost 10 and 12) need their passports renewed and this is a cheaper alternative. Plus it's smaller so it would fit in your water proof pouch.

Happy New Year!

Something I'm looking into is a passport card. Valid for travel between the US, Canada, Mexico and the Caribbean. Costs a lot less than a passport book. My DD's (almost 10 and 12) need their passports renewed and this is a cheaper alternative. Plus it's smaller so it would fit in your water proof pouch.

Happy New Year!

WE both have nexus cards we use to cross the boarder but still I carry passports.

Always take it with us. One reason is what 5Waldos stated but another is what is considered legal ID. Most countries only recognize international drivers license and passports. Some states also only recognize those items for aliens (Alabama being one). There have been several holdings and even an arrest in Alabama due to workers not having the correct ID because of their new immigration law.

I don't want to be caught in a foreign country without a recognized form of ID. We were stopped on the train in Belgium and asked for our passports so we carry them.

Your comfort area may lie else where...more power to ya.

Archived