Hol Chan Snorkel

flashcruise

My husband and I are really wanting to snorkel at the Hol Chan reserve. We have found Star Tours, Grumpy and Happy (or was it Happy and Grumpy?) and Aqua Scuba Center who all offer excursions for cruise passengers. Does anyone have experience with these companies? Also, has anyone been to Shark Ray Alley? Do you actually snorkel there or is it more like Stingray City in Grand Cayman? Thanks for any advice!!

Why Caye Caulker over Hol Chan? Do you still get to go to Shark Alley? We kind of thought the idea of flying over the reef was a cool idea, but if the snorkeling is better at Caye Caulker, then we may do that. Thanks for weighing in. I appreciate some advice for someone who has done this....

Cool...thanks!! Aren't you the one who recommends 100% Agave in Costa Maya? We can't wait to go there!!

I'm one of them,yes! Hope you enjoy Fernando's hospitality:)

Why Caye Caulker over Hol Chan? Do you still get to go to Shark Alley? We kind of thought the idea of flying over the reef was a cool idea, but if the snorkeling is better at Caye Caulker, then we may do that. Thanks for weighing in. I appreciate some advice for someone who has done this....

Both tours go to Shark Ray Alley. Coral Breeze's tour leaves from the dock at Wet Lizard as I recall. Have never been on a HolChan tour, but if you like flying and overhead vistas and the price meets your budget, then go for it. Come back here and give us a review.

Hol Chan is off San Pedro, which is a bit further from the ship anchor spot than Caye Caulker.

While tours to each island claim to go to "Shark Ray Alley", be aware that the Shark Ray Alleys are two different locations.

Since both are among some of the finest snorkel locations in this hemisphere, choose the one that's easiest to get to, has the best time span,or is the more affordable.

Here's a pic from Caye Caulker a few weeks ago......waist high water, sand/grass bottom, had maybe 4 nurse sharks and about 6 rays rubbing up against my legs -

My experiences in Shark ray off San Pedro were much longer ago, but I remember interacting with the sharks/rays in a bit deeper water with a coral bottom.

16127489_ValorDec2011228.jpg.f6057d1645592a23250e2bb75c56bc4e.jpg

Archived