First Time NCL (and NCL Sky at that)

krashtest

So this is my very first time sailing Norwegian. I am a seasoned Carnival cruiser and this year I'm branching out. The BF and I found that for what we wanted to do this year that NCL and Princess fit the bill. So we are doing both...HA!

This is our very first time on NCL and we are sailing on the Sky doing a 4 day jaunt to the Bahamas out of Miami. I have been reading various reviews and I am SO incredibly confused by what I have read, maybe someone can help me out.

1) Are certain bathroom amenities provided (Soap, toothpaste, etc)

2) Do I need to book seats at the show?

Also - what is the "do not miss" things on the NCL Sky?

There is liquid soap by the sink. In the shower, there are dispensers with body wash and a 2-in-1 shampoo/conditioner. If you're in a suite, you may get more than that but I've never experienced the suite life on NCL so don't know what that would be.

You can't do this on any NCL ship, with the exception of the Epic. Just get there early if you want to get a good seat. The theatre has pillars that can block views.

Depends what you're interested in but I'd say Rich Purpura's shows and Quest. Also, if they're still doing it, the 2-for-1 martini at the Plantation Club is the best deal going and totally worth it!

Have a great time! :)

Have a great time!!

Did you join your roll call??? NCL is great with meeting cruise critic members, usually department heads will also attend and hand out their business cards with their phone number so that ANY problem can be addressed quickly.

MUCH MUCH more involved than anything that Carnival will do and at NO CHARGE!!

Ok, can't help on anything else but I really like sailing with NCL.

We sailed on Sky in October. Agree the comedian did get us to crack some smiles. As for food, we quite enjoyed the hot wings in Longboard's sports bar, across from the Garden Cafe buffet. Also, the fish and chips. Sadly, they only serve food from 6 p.m. until some early hour like 5 a.m., so no hitting them for lunch.

Also, my husband quite enjoyed the guitarist/singer in the Atrium Bar, if you're into that kind of entertainment.

Have a great time!!

Did you join your roll call??? NCL is great with meeting cruise critic members, usually department heads will also attend and hand out their business cards with their phone number so that ANY problem can be addressed quickly.

MUCH MUCH more involved than anything that Carnival will do and at NO CHARGE!!

Ok, can't help on anything else but I really like sailing with NCL.

It's funny Sauer-kraut as Krashtest and I are the only ones on this roll call, Feb. 17. It is pretty lonely over there.

Overall we preferred the Sky over the Imagination for a short cruise.

Ship was bright and cheery, crew was friendly and helpful, etc.

I enjoyed the show in the theater, I forget the name but it has all rock'n'roll songs.

Hi Nicole! Hope you are doing well!

So this is my very first time sailing Norwegian. I am a seasoned Carnival cruiser and this year I'm branching out. The BF and I found that for what we wanted to do this year that NCL and Princess fit the bill. So we are doing both...HA!

This is our very first time on NCL and we are sailing on the Sky doing a 4 day jaunt to the Bahamas out of Miami. I have been reading various reviews and I am SO incredibly confused by what I have read, maybe someone can help me out.

krashtest, a combined shampoo/conditioner/body wash is provided. No toothpaste. We bring our own shampoo, conditioner, body wash and bar soap.

Just show up at the shows you want to see. No prebooking. Only the Epic lets you book entertainment ahead of time. Pack something white for the White Hot Party.

Someone else mentioned Longboard's -- Great place. I also would recommend LeBistro. Crepes and chocolate fondue at night from the ice cream place.

Also, if you find that the buffet area is overcrowded, take your food across the hall to Longboards. The Great Outdoors will also have the same items but is less crowded.

NCL provides a combined shampoo/conditioner, liquid soap in the shower and at the sink. You can ask your cabin steward for bar soap and lotion.

Try attend the M&G. I know when we were on the Sky, it was crammed in right after sailaway and only a handful of passengers and crew attended. The current HD on board (Jean-Michele) will probably be there. He's a great guy and will do anything in his power for you to have great cruise memories.

Enjoy the Sky; we are thinking of taking a short cruise on her this summer.

NCL provides a combined shampoo/conditioner, liquid soap in the shower and at the sink. You can ask your cabin steward for bar soap and lotion.

Try attend the M&G. I know when we were on the Sky, it was crammed in right after sailaway and only a handful of passengers and crew attended. The current HD on board (Jean-Michele) will probably be there. He's a great guy and will do anything in his power for you to have great cruise memories.

Enjoy the Sky; we are thinking of taking a short cruise on her this summer.

Right now, crashest and I are the only ones on our roll call. There won't be a Meet and Greet with NCL unless a lot of other people join us.

HEHE Sounds like I'm in for a fun time! Anyone know about their policy on bringing on alcohol at the beginning? I know with carnival I can bring on a bottle of wine or champagne at embarkation.

I'm looking forward to trying something new and different. It should be a great time. Anyone that was recently on them know about the 2 for 1 martini specials?

I'm looking forward to trying something new and different. It should be a great time. Anyone that was recently on them know about the 2 for 1 martini specials?

krashtest:

Just a few weeks ago (December) I was onboard Norwegian Sky for 10 consecutive days, and I can pretty much assure you that you'll have an enjoyable time sailing on this ship.

On almost all evenings there were 2-for-1 martinis available in Plantation Club [Deck 12 aft, across from Cagney's]. I just happened to wander by there somewhat repeatedly during my sailings. :)

Personal favorite: Polaris

Polaris-Martini-L.jpg

And on the opposite end of the spectrum . . . be on the lookout some late afternoons, and evenings, for fresh baked (kinda soft) cookies at the Great Outdoors [Deck 11 aft]. Deeeeelish! :)

Milk-Cookies-L.jpg

Just a personal opinion to offer . . .

No, this ship doesn't have the latest bells & whistles that many of the newer NCL vessels do. But it certainly does have one thing that equals (and in a few cases, betters) the rest in the fleet . . . Superb Guest Service!!. It's what has made NCL my new Go-To line. There were a few glitches here and there, but overall I was empressed far beyond what I was expecting. The officers, especially Hotel Director, have certainly been exceptional role models for their crew.

Every single meal I ate was enjoyable.

The ship's Achilles Heel, unfortunately, is something (or someone) that's hard to miss. The Cruise Director either coincedentally had three consecutive sailings where he wasn't on his game or . . . is simply a waste of the carbon molecule. :( The assistant cruise director (Gio, soon taking the CD roll on another ship), and the assistants (especially Joel & Keisha) were phenomenal in picking up the slack left by their leader.

Entertainment in the theatre was much better than I was expecting, including the arrival of one of my fave cruise entertainers of all time, who was brought on during the third leg of the B2B2B.

Have a great great cruise!!! Bon Voyage!!

We'll be on the Sky for the second time on Monday. I love reading all the positive comments. What entertatinment did you especially enjoy? We always try to make it to the shows and enjoy the smaller venues - sounds like the 2-for-1 martini's is a must.

If that's your pic, then you & the BF might enjoy the nightly Friends of Dorothy meetings the time & location of which is posted in the Freestyle Daily.

We've seen many people who have been unaware that they exist.

HEHE Sounds like I'm in for a fun time! Anyone know about their policy on bringing on alcohol at the beginning? I know with carnival I can bring on a bottle of wine or champagne at embarkation.

With NCL, you can bring on unlimited bottles of wine and pay a $15 per 750ml bottle corkage fee. I do think they look harder on the Sky. My husband and I brought six bottles of wine in our checked luggage as we were flying in. They got every one of them. We had no problem paying the corkage fee and planned on it. When we got the letter to go to the naughty room, they knew there were six bottles in there. The key to if you are caught is to make it to the naughty room a few minutes before they officially open (stated in the letter you will receive when your luggage doesn't show up). Haven't tried to bring on anything else but others have stated that rum runners work well.

Glad to read all the positive comments on the Sky, our first cruise was on her in 2002, and again as the Pride of Aloha July 4th 2004 her first cruise around Hawaii.

Really enjoyed her and planning on another visit with her soon.

Enjoy your cruise.

If that's your pic, then you & the BF might enjoy the nightly Friends of Dorothy meetings the time & location of which is posted in the Freestyle Daily.

We've seen many people who have been unaware that they exist.

It is, and we will give them a check out. I typically do on all Carnival ships. Have found some great friends that I still keep in touch with to this day. Others have been a - well we won't come back to this bar at this time sorta place.

With NCL, you can bring on unlimited bottles of wine and pay a $15 per 750ml bottle corkage fee. I do think they look harder on the Sky. My husband and I brought six bottles of wine in our checked luggage as we were flying in. They got every one of them. We had no problem paying the corkage fee and planned on it. When we got the letter to go to the naughty room, they knew there were six bottles in there. The key to if you are caught is to make it to the naughty room a few minutes before they officially open (stated in the letter you will receive when your luggage doesn't show up). Haven't tried to bring on anything else but others have stated that rum runners work well.

I simply don't have time for the naughty room. Its a short cruise and if NCL thinks I'm going to stand in line with my luggage held hostage - me and a purser will have a chat.

How about if I just carry it on board? (This is only hypothetical, we are flying in and I'm not sure if I want to take a go at it after a international flight with a bottle of vodka)

Well, to stem any chance of you going to the naughty room you can't even bring vodka on at all. You are allowed wine to be carried on with you. Your best bet is to just save yourself hassle, and get your drinks from the bar.

However, you can order a bar set up before you leave (I think it is at least 3 weeks prior to your cruise) AND the bottle will be waiting for you. You can carry on mixers with you and the stewards will keep your ice bucket filled for you. You might think the price is high for the bottle pre-ordered BUT if you break it down by drink you'll come out cheaper than buying individual drinks. :D

• 3 weeks later...

Sounds great! I can't wait really! We are very excited about the February cruise and then to just kick it ALL up a notch - we booked the Epic in 2013 for a Mediterranean Cruise in Sept of 2013. (Sprung for the mini-suite).

Very excited about NCL and about the upcoming February cruise.

Never cruised NCL so I am a little confused by your corkage fee statement. So even if I am not going to be drinking my wine in the dining room, there is a corkage fee?

This fee is assessed on boarding?

Can someone point me to the information on this? I did not get that reading the FAQ's, I took the corkage fee to be assessed by the dining room like other establishments.

Archived