No formal wear required in Blu (or other specialty restaurants) - just MDR

City_Woman

I am not looking for power. Just pointing out how absurd silly excuses are. Just come out and say it - I refuse to follow dress code guidelines and I dont care what anyone else thinks!

Just a friendly FYI - Celebrity has changed their suggested dress guidelines. Now, the *only* place that 'formal' wear is suggested by Celebrity is in the MDR on designated formal nights.

Specialty restaurants are casual dress, even on formal nights. The entire ship outside of the MDR is casual, even on formal nights. Even then, all credible reports indicate that a gentleman wearing a polo shirt, khakis, and sportcoat to the MDR on formal night would not be turned away.

What's probably going on here is that Celebrity is moving away from formal nights, but does not want to 'officially' do away with formal nights altogether because they prefer not to alienate the small but vocal minority of passengers who enjoy dressing up for dinner in the tropics.

The good news for you is that you can still wear whatever you like, anytime you like - if you want to wear a tux to the lido on casual night for example, that is your privilege, and I fully support your right to do so. :D

Just a friendly FYI - Celebrity has changed their suggested dress guidelines. Now, the *only* place that 'formal' wear is suggested by Celebrity is in the MDR on designated formal nights.

Specialty restaurants are casual dress, even on formal nights. The entire ship outside of the MDR is casual, even on formal nights. Even then, all credible reports indicate that a gentleman wearing a polo shirt, khakis, and sportcoat to the MDR on formal night would not be turned away.

What's probably going on here is that Celebrity is moving away from formal nights, but does not want to 'officially' do away with formal nights altogether because they prefer not to alienate the small but vocal minority of passengers who enjoy dressing up for dinner in the tropics.

The good news for you is that you can still wear whatever you like, anytime you like - if you want to wear a tux to the lido on casual night for example, that is your privilege, and I fully support your right to do so. :D

IMHO, 1 Celebrity cruise does not make one an authority on Celebrity cruises. You appear to have posted quite a bit on dress codes...and the giveaway is "to the lido." Perhaps, you can tell me where the Lido Desk is located on any Celebrity ships. :rolleyes:

IMHO, 1 Celebrity cruise does not make one an authority on Celebrity cruises. You appear to have posted quite a bit on dress codes...and the giveaway is "to the lido." Perhaps, you can tell me where the Lido Desk is located on any Celebrity ships. :rolleyes:

How do know that this poster has only one Celebrity cruise?

Celebrity doesn't have lido decks on any of their ships however it is a common term used generically on all of the Cruise critic boards..

Specialty restaurants are "smart casual" dress, not casual. There is a difference for those who know better. What is the lido?

actually the majority ,while not overwhelming,enjoy formal nights,but you know that

:cj

it is really a good thing that i have already been on a celebrity cruise or two - otherwise this discussion would make me run screaming - i wonder if y'all have any idea how unfriendly and unkind you sound. some of the things that are said about those of us who choose to follow the dress code, albeit at the minimum level, by wearing smart casual to Blu or specialty restaurants on formal night are really very offensive.... very offensive... i suspect if you met me in person - in my smart casual wear with comfortable shoes so my feet don't kill me - you might even like me.... i'll be on the summit in February...without any formal duds....

it is really a good thing that i have already been on a celebrity cruise or two - otherwise this discussion would make me run screaming - i wonder if y'all have any idea how unfriendly and unkind you sound. some of the things that are said about those of us who choose to follow the dress code, albeit at the minimum level, by wearing smart casual to Blu or specialty restaurants on formal night are really very offensive.... very offensive... i suspect if you met me in person - in my smart casual wear with comfortable shoes so my feet don't kill me - you might even like me.... i'll be on the summit in February...without any formal duds....

I hope you enjoy your trip Jb :)

As will the vast majority of those who choose to pack light and dress comfortably.

For the life of me, I just don't understand the vicious hostility directed at people who point out the simple fact that Celebrity has relaxed their suggested dress guidelines, and now only suggest that 'formal' wear be worn on designated formal nights in the MDR only.

I think its sheer frustration and rage over the fact that Celebrity seems to be changing policies, and trending toward more relaxed and casual dress guidelines. Some people are fiercely resisting this change and lashing out at innocent passengers who are pleased with Celebrity's policy shift regarding dress.

So I'll just repeat, in case my point got lost in all the static - if you like to dress up in tuxes and evening gowns, on 'formal' nights or otherwise, in the MDR or anywhere else - Go for it! Nobody is trying to prevent you from exercising your right to enjoy your vacation

I hope you enjoy your trip Jb :)

As will the vast majority of those who choose to pack light and dress comfortably.

For the life of me, I just don't understand the vicious hostility directed at people who point out the simple fact that Celebrity has relaxed their suggested dress guidelines, and now only suggest that 'formal' wear be worn on designated formal nights in the MDR only.

I think its sheer frustration and rage over the fact that Celebrity seems to be changing policies, and trending toward more relaxed and casual dress guidelines. Some people are fiercely resisting this change and lashing out at innocent passengers who are pleased with Celebrity's policy shift regarding dress.

So I'll just repeat, in case my point got lost in all the static - if you like to dress up in tuxes and evening gowns, on 'formal' nights or otherwise, in the MDR or anywhere else - Go for it! Nobody is trying to prevent you from exercising your right to enjoy your vacation

Works both ways...Don't criticize those who wish to dress up or those who are just answering a question....

I've been following this thread with great amusement. I was considering sailing on Celebrity but may look elsewhere if the majority of X passengers are the stuffy, busybody types I've seen displayed across in this thread. The fact that someone actually went to the maitre d' to complain about another guest's attire is laughable. I say this only as a means for you to gauge my perspective (or to possibly ignore it); I'm in my thirties, am well-educated, rather well-traveled and have experienced quite a bit of success thus far in my career. If I were to sit next to you in a theater or at dinner where smart-casual dress is acceptable, and you view me as a slob for wearing a polo shirt, that's your problem and not mine at all. I spend my days in suits and when on vacation, I want to relax comfortably. If others wish to dress up, then so be it, but to infer that someone has less class than you because they wish to spend their cruise dressed more casually is absurd.

I

there you go again,maybe if you say it enough it will become true:rolleyes:

Yes they are relaxig their code but the MDR where the Vast Majority eat its still formal

but those who dress formally must feel equally frustrated and offended by attacks.One reading this thread would come away thinking the casual dressers are more threatened by the formals than vice versa

but those who dress formally must feel equally frustrated and offended by attacks.One reading this thread would come away thinking the casual dressers are more threatened by the formals than vice versa

i never referred to the formal dressers as stuffy, old fashioned, stodgy, staid, humorless - but was referred to as slob, one of "those" people, unclassed, etc... my point is that this is not my experience onboard ship - which is clearly a much different audience than this thread...

btw - both in the Caribbean and in Alaska, very few tuxes on our cruises....

My impression is quite the opposite after hearing someone in favor of formal wear suggest that one should sail Carnival because they wore khakis and a polo shirt. Those are fighting words!

My impression is quite the opposite after hearing someone in favor of formal wear suggest that one should sail Carnival because they wore khakis and a polo shirt. Those are fighting words!

Fighting words:rolleyes:.Geez,Thanks for proving my point

Geez! Just stopped by for a look at this thread. Why is it that ALL dress code threads deteriorate like this?? The bottom line is that the 'rules' state that 'formal wear' is only 'required' in the MDR and that smart casual is 'acceptable' in other dining venues on formal night. All the rest of these 6 pages is just name calling and mud slinging. We all know there will be people who follow the 'rules', those who don't (a minority IME), and those who choose to have room service or buffet rather than dressing up, whether they are Cruise Critic readers or not. Really the end of the story!

I am so sorry I started this thread with an innocent question.

We all need to take a deep breath and move on. I don't think this issue will be resolved here and that all parties have definitely made their point.

With respect to those who dress formal, semi formal, business casual, dress casual, and casual - can we please stop now?

Judy

Fighting words.Geez,Thanks for proving my point

It was an attempt to make light of an absurd statement. You clearly viewed the comment as low-brow and for that, I thank you for proving my point. It's a shame there isn't a line that suits more refined travel without the pretense. I suppose it's a generational thing which will fix itself eventually.

I've been following this thread with great amusement. I was considering sailing on Celebrity but may look elsewhere if the majority of X passengers are the stuffy, busybody types I've seen displayed across in this thread. The fact that someone actually went to the maitre d' to complain about another guest's attire is laughable. I say this only as a means for you to gauge my perspective (or to possibly ignore it); I'm in my thirties, am well-educated, rather well-traveled and have experienced quite a bit of success thus far in my career. If I were to sit next to you in a theater or at dinner where smart-casual dress is acceptable, and you view me as a slob for wearing a polo shirt, that's your problem and not mine at all. I spend my days in suits and when on vacation, I want to relax comfortably. If others wish to dress up, then so be it, but to infer that someone has less class than you because they wish to spend their cruise dressed more casually is absurd.

Trust me! People like Giorgi are not the majority on Celebrity. Trust me!

It was an attempt to make light of an absurd statement. You clearly viewed the comment as low-brow and for that, I thank you for proving my point. It's a shame there isn't a line that suits more refined travel without the pretense. I suppose it's a generational thing which will fix itself eventually.

Generational thing?:D Pretense?:D Fix itself eventually?:DI suppose those are not low brow either:rolleyes: Thank You again and again:D BTW the experts say our generation will live longer than yours so perhaps it won't fix itself in your lifetime:cj

I always complain to the maitre D' if I see someone in shorts in the MDR except for first night. Last thing I want to look at during dinner is hairy legs or varicose veins.

I am happy you are so successful. You would definitely be in the very small minority if you were not dressed in the MDR on formal night. Maybe not all tuxes, but definitely suits and sport coats at the minimum. Enjoy your Carnival cruise!

Geez! Just stopped by for a look at this thread. Why is it that ALL dress code threads deteriorate like this?? The bottom line is that the 'rules' state that 'formal wear' is only 'required' in the MDR and that smart casual is 'acceptable' in other dining venues on formal night. All the rest of these 6 pages is just name calling and mud slinging. We all know there will be people who follow the 'rules', those who don't (a minority IME), and those who choose to have room service or buffet rather than dressing up, whether they are Cruise Critic readers or not. Really the end of the story!

True

Archived