Israel over the weekend -- closings?

Mannix

We are considering a Celebrity cruise that docks in Jerusalem Friday and Saturday. Will Jewish closings be a problem?

Are two days in Jerusalem and one day in Nazareth enough to see the major attractions or should we scrap the cruise and do a land tour?

Having done it both ways, I think you will be much more satisfied with a land tour if you really want to see the sights in Israel. Two days in Jerusalem is very, very little, especially when you consider that for a port day you really won't have a full day in the city. Note that the Celebrity cruise cannot dock in Jerusalem, which is an inland city without a harbor. You need to factor in the transportation time from the ports (Ashdod or Haifa) to Jerusalem. Most public transportation will be closed Friday afternoon/night, depending on what time of the year you are there, as well as Saturday, and you will not be able to rent or return a car on Saturday, except at the airport.

Having done it both ways, I think you will be much more satisfied with a land tour if you really want to see the sights in Israel. Two days in Jerusalem is very, very little, especially when you consider that for a port day you really won't have a full day in the city. Note that the Celebrity cruise cannot dock in Jerusalem, which is an inland city without a harbor. You need to factor in the transportation time from the ports (Ashdod or Haifa) to Jerusalem. Most public transportation will be closed Friday afternoon/night, depending on what time of the year you are there, as well as Saturday, and you will not be able to rent or return a car on Saturday, except at the airport.

I agree with epixx. I've also done both and while you can see a good deal when your ship has two overnights, it was not enough for me (e.g., someone who had a huge interest in the history and ancient sites of Israel). On the other hand, for someone who just wants to see a few highlights, it's certainly doable from the ship.

I had my cruise visit first and it was really just a sampler. I really enjoyed doing a land tour much more -- and even then, there were things I didn't get to.

We are considering a Celebrity cruise that docks in Jerusalem Friday and Saturday. Will Jewish closings be a problem?

Are two days in Jerusalem and one day in Nazareth enough to see the major attractions or should we scrap the cruise and do a land tour?

you're wondering if it's possible to see all the major attractions in the holy land in 3 days?

is that a serious question? you can perhaps get a taste of some of the sites. I'm assuming you're Christian by your desire to see Nazareth.

what about seeing the Sea of Galilee and the many Christian sites in that area?

and for an amazing non-religious site, what about the Dead Sea, which is the lowest point on Earth?

and there are so many other points of interest, be it historical, religious, or just beautiful places....

and as the other poster pointed out, you'll be docking in either Ashdod or Haifa, and will have to travel to get to Jerusalem, nazareth and everywhere else..

if you're interested in only Christian sites, the closings probably won't be too much of a problem as i assume the Christian holy sites are open on fridays and saturdays. You won't be able to take public transportation, but you can either take the ship excursions or a private guide to get you around.

You'll have no problem finding places to eat - there are many restaurants/cafes that are open on saturdays in jerusalem (and elsewhere in israel).

but if it were me, i'd take a land tour. if you're really interested in seeing the holy land, a land tour is the way to go. :)

There is just so much to see and do. Just being here (i live in Israel) is an experience. Just walking down the street in Jerusalem is extraordinary.

and if you're at all religious, the visit to the sea of galilee is wonderful....as you drive there - when you come over the hill and see it appear below you....i never tire of that view...

and the desert around the dead sea? i could go on and on...

of course, 3 days is better than none!! :)

by the way, there is another thread about tour guides in israel with lots of good information. if you read the posts there, you'll see that people do manage to see quite a bit in a day using a tour guide - however, it is only a taste....given all the places they visit, it must be 15 minutes at each place..

i don't like visiting places that way....i'm a total immersion sort of person (we spent 10 days visiting paris for example)....i hate racing from place to place without really ever breathing in the atmosphere...

ok, i'm revising my answer - it's possible to get a taste of israel in 3 days and see a zillion sights....

but it's not something i enjoy doing...

there are so many fun things to do and each one takes time to really enjoy it..

so i can't imagine jamming together a bunch on them into a few hours and being able to enjoy it fully..

but yes, you can get a taste....but only a taste...

Your opinions are very helpful. We are religious people and want to see as much of Israel as possible. I was hoping to do a cruise so we could see Rome and Athens, too, but sounds like that would be better done separately. My husband's life long dream is to visit the Holy Lands, so we will probably do the land tour this year. My concern about land tours is that they "drive by" the sites instead of stopping. It is hard to tell from their websites whether it is a stop or a drive by.

I took a city tour of Boston following a cruise and was disappointed that the driver pointed and said, "down that road is where ....." We didn't stop for anything!

Thanks again for all your opinions.

Your opinions are very helpful. We are religious people and want to see as much of Israel as possible. I was hoping to do a cruise so we could see Rome and Athens, too, but sounds like that would be better done separately. My husband's life long dream is to visit the Holy Lands, so we will probably do the land tour this year. My concern about land tours is that they "drive by" the sites instead of stopping. It is hard to tell from their websites whether it is a stop or a drive by.

I took a city tour of Boston following a cruise and was disappointed that the driver pointed and said, "down that road is where ....." We didn't stop for anything!

Thanks again for all your opinions.

that's why private tours are good - you can work out with the guide exactly what is important to YOU to see and do..

although there are also very good group tours...

you just have to do the research and find what it is you want to see...

we're active, so we like to do, not just see....

so for example, if there's an archeological site that offers getting your hands dirty, we would like something like that...

or taking the longer, more scenic route to see something...but everyone is different and you can find a tour that suits you..

If you plan a land trip, you really don't need to go on a "tour." We (8 people) planned and carried out our own land trip easily. You can read much background information from guide books, and we found that renting a car and driving was quite easy and efficient, except within the cities of Tel Aviv and Jerusalem. For greater, more in depth, explanations, consider hiring a licensed guide for certain days and certain locations. Group walking tours are also available in Tel Aviv and Jerusalem, but we did not participate in these. Alternatively, you can take a one day big bus tour from either Tel Aviv to Jerusalem to see some of the sights outside the city. Whatever you do, have a wonderful trip!

Archived