Uh-oh... Flying in 4 days

nutley chick

We leave for Miami on Wednesday, sailing on Thursday and someone in our group can't sit down at all. They have an abscess on their tailbone that hurts tremendously. Went to the hospital yesterday and is now taking lots of antibiotics and some pain killers. Been doing the hot compresses and waiting for it to come to a head. PLEASE PRAY THAT IT DOES SOON. if not, they have an appointment with a surgeon on Tuesday to have it cut and drained. This will put a damper on our vacation to say the least.

P.S- If this person knew that I posted this here they would kill me but I'm hoping someone has some quick fixes for these type of things.

If you happen to be n our roll call and we meet at the meet and greet, PLEASE PLEASE don't mention this. lol. I'm going to be so dead.

Buy them a donut.

Seriously. My Grandma had tail bone problems and she had a donut-shaped air pillow with a hole in the center that she sat on to take the pressure off her tailbone.

Good luck! Hope it all works out for you.

We leave for Miami on Wednesday, sailing on Thursday and someone in our group can't sit down at all. They have an abscess on their tailbone that hurts tremendously. Went to the hospital yesterday and is now taking lots of antibiotics and some pain killers. Been doing the hot compresses and waiting for it to come to a head. PLEASE PRAY THAT IT DOES SOON. if not, they have an appointment with a surgeon on Tuesday to have it cut and drained. This will put a damper on our vacation to say the least.

P.S- If this person knew that I posted this here they would kill me but I'm hoping someone has some quick fixes for these type of things.

If you happen to be n our roll call and we meet at the meet and greet, PLEASE PLEASE don't mention this. lol. I'm going to be so dead.

You're asking for medical advice on a cruise forum? Hmmmm, my advice would be to CONSULT HIS/HER DOCTOR!!! :eek:

You're asking for medical advice on a cruise forum? Hmmmm, my advice would be to CONSULT HIS/HER DOCTOR!!! :eek:

We did and we are... Did you read my post? The person has been to the hospital and will be seeing a surgeon if we can't bring it to a head before that.

But, these things are pretty common and I'm sure some of you have had them before. If there is a trick they can help bring it to a head quicker I would like to hear and then decide if it is something worth trying.

If you have nothing to add please step aside. Thanks!

Buy them a donut.

Seriously. My Grandma had tail bone problems and she had a donut-shaped air pillow with a hole in the center that she sat on to take the pressure off her tailbone.

Good luck! Hope it all works out for you.

Thank You Yvonne. I will go buy one. I appreciate your help.

My advice is read the OP statement before posting a ridiculous answer! Spend a little more time hunting for your "open bar" cruise. Yes, I read your past posts.

I am not a doctor but it sounds like a fistula to me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

More like a pilonidal cyst. A fistula is a connection between two epithelium lined organs or passages that doesn't occur normally...

I hope the person has travel insurance.

My personal experience with any type of abscess it that is an infection.

Some of which MAY be contagious. Yes, I know that sounds terrible but it is what it is.

The person really needs to get a better outlook on this since with traveling they MAY be at risk.

Suppose it is not drained before traveling and they get on board and it 'pops'.

Then what??

Will the medical team put them in quarantine .. stuck in their cabin?

Will the medical team call a medi-evac??

Even if it is drained they would need to take proper precautions applying clean dressings to the area and such.

Hope everything works out

Take a piece of pantyhose, cut a tiny hole in it.

Place the tiny hole over the head and press the hole over the head.

Also, you can heat up a soda/beer bottle in boiling water. Place the opening of the bottle over the head. This is supposed to suck the crap up into the bottle.

I know it sounds crazy, but these are things people had to do back when a doctor wasn't nearby.

It does sound like a pilonidal cyst. I had one of those when I was in my early 20's - it flared up twice, just as OP is describing, and I had to have it lanced and a wick inserted to drain it. Nothing contagious about it (essentially it's a birth defect - it's a prenatal defect in the development of the spine), but it is very painful. (I blame my C+ in Federal Jurisdiction in law school on it - it flared up right before my final and I was in agony during the test:mad:.) After the second flare-up, my doctor recommended surgery to remove it once and for all. OP, I agree with the recommendation of the donut, but unfortunately I can't offer any quick fixes. It will feel better after it's lanced, though - it takes the pressure off.

I hate to be the bearer of bad news but I, unfortunately, have had a lot of recent experience with this. Both my 19 year old son and my 22 year old daughter had this problem in the past year. Gotta love genetics.

I am sure it is a pilonidal cyst and I would strongly suggest that this person does not travel. Assuming it "pops" and drains before the trip, it will probably continue to drain throughout the cruise (not fun, somewhat painful).

If the person needs surgery (both of my children did) the dressings must be removed and changed twice a day. Not to gross anybody out but these are usually left as an open wound (not stitched closed) so they need to be packed. Full healing time can be at least 6 weeks and the patient usually needs someone to change these dressings for at least the first week until they can do it themselves. If not done properly, there will be problems with healing. This is just not something anybody should be traveling with.

My daughter did go on a cruise about 6 weeks after surgery, but even then her surgeon was not exactly thrilled and she had to promise to stay out of any water.

However, who knows, maybe your friend will have better luck with the whole issue than my two children did.

Ouch, my nephew just had surgery for the same thing. He is in the marines and they sent him home for 2 weeks to recooperate. I'd be surprised if they will be able to make it to the cruise and/or and enjoy it. He came home for Christmas, a month after his surgery and they are still packing it several times a day. Good luck!

I have had this same problem for most of my life, it was something I was born with and due to trauma from horseback riding and falls. I have had it lanced 2x and had full excision surgery 2 years and it has come back and i'll need a 2nd surgery. In all honesty if it is just a lancing that is being performed your friend will be able to travel still. It will be sore and they will be on antibiotics for a few days but it is doable. Mine was lanced and left to drain for 48 hours, it is a small hole made for excision, and it starts to close pretty quick. I was back to work after 3 days and able to ride horses again after 7. Mine never 'come to a head' so don't count on that happening. Mine just get getting larger and the dr needs to get it to drain. There is nothing contagious about these.

If he is having full on excision surgery that is an entirely different topic and your friend would not be able to travel right off. This usually isn't performed until after the swelling and infection is under control though. I was out of work for 2 weeks following the surgery.

My suggestion is to follow the doctors advise but your friend may be able to travel.

**Big tip, donut pillows are a no no with these cysts. What you need is a Tush-Cushion. A donut will put pressure on the cyst itself while a Tush-Cushion will not. Google it and you will see what I mean. This is per my doctor telling me this several years ago**

I fractured my tailbone while on vacation in Massachusetts and had to endure an 8 hour ride in a car back to NY a day later:eek:

Another vote for the "donut" pillow!

Why is it we're always away from home when these things happen? After visiting family, I had a 3 hour plane ride home:eek:. So I know the pain you speak of....Oh boy!!

Why is it we're always away from home when these things happen? After visiting family, I had a 3 hour plane ride home:eek:. So I know the pain you speak of....Oh boy!!

It happened way back in 1991 but I can remember it like yesterday.

I think the OP's friend should plan on definitely taking a donut pillow and some pain killers if they still decide to go lanced or not.

Thank You Yvonne. I will go buy one. I appreciate your help.

The "donut" pillow to sit on relieves some pressure, but is not the answer. An abcess is an infection and the person could get quite sick (lots of experience in our family with this problem too) from the infection...if lancing surgically is needed, the pillow is the least of the issues...it doesn't help it come to a head or go away. Good luck, stay in touch with a doctor for a real cure.

Archived