Sand toys

jburk

I was thinking of bringing some sand toys for my sons and nephew to play with at the beaches. Is this just one more thing to lug around? One more bulky item in our luggage? I dont want to bring it if it wont be used. I was thinking some sand castle type stuff. I think they'd enjoy it. I know they have the water toys but my nephew is 2 and too little and those arent really my 11 yr olds thing. Has anyone else done this?

You can put a bucket into your suitcase and stuff it full....pj's, socks, underwear.....it doesn't actually take up "space"....!

Plastic cups and spoons will also delight little ones! So will a stick, or a shell....little kid's don't need elaborate stuff to use their imagination and play in the sand!

• 2 weeks later...

We didn't pack sand toys, but we did buy them at one of the beaches during our first stop (Grand Cayman). They were cheap, the locals were happy we spent a little money at their kiosk, and our son loved them because they were new. We used them for the duration of our trip. Can't remember if we brought them home or left them.

ditto the previous post. stuff them with socks, underwear, etc in your suitcase...taht way its not wasted space. i dont think your 2 yo is too young for it! we've been bring sand toys since DDs first cruise (16m old), we usually bring one bucket, one small watering can, a shovel and a rake.

We managed to fit a brand new sand toy package in our carry on for the flight so it didn't take up much space, if at all. As far as lugging it around, they were lightweight & I just threw them in our beach bag at each port for the beaches. Had no issues at all with them. I will be bringing sand toys again on our upcoming cruise.

Buy sand toys at the Dollar store and as others have said you can stuff the pail with small clothing items making them easy to carry in your luggage. Also I will mention that my grandson was perfectly happy using my flip flops for digging in the sand.

IMHO plastic toys are so cheap they are almost throw away. Yeah they cost 2-3x at the beach versus your local walmart and dollartree but unless you are doing check-in they are still a hassle to lug. I guess in this way I'm neither pennywise and pound foolish.

I agree even for the big kids a showel and pail can result in hours of fun :D

My husband rolled his eyes in Oct when I packed sand toys for our 7 and 4 yo because it was more stuff to lug (mind you, he might have been rolling them because the toys were matching colors, but of course I'm not OCD, lol). Anyways, turns out the toys were the best thing we brought, the girls were thrilled to play with them. I just brought a small pail, shovel, rake and little watering can for them. Enjoy!

Archived