Another Passport question

Sea and Me

Am I correct in saying that you have to renew your passport 6 months before it expires?? Would you be able to cruise without a passport IF you don't intend to get off the ship while its in port?? I'm thinking Caribbean cruises.

Thanks for your answers.

Carol

For a Caribbean cruise, you just need a birth certificate and photo ID (assuming you don't have an emergency and need to fly home).

That being said, if a passport is required, it doesn't matter whether you intend to get off or not, you must have it, and it be valid.

It's been a few years ago, but I once unwittingly traveled to and from the Caribbean (Nevis) on an expired US passport. I asked the Immigration agent about it upon my return, and she said it did not matter to them, but might be an issue for other countries that I might try to enter. Of course, this was before 911, so Passport Control might not be as lenient now.

For a Caribbean cruise, you just need a birth certificate and photo ID (assuming you don't have an emergency and need to fly home).

That being said, if a passport is required, it doesn't matter whether you intend to get off or not, you must have it, and it be valid.

Correct. Some countries require that the passport be valid for six months past the date you are planning to re-enter the US so cruise lines make that a requirement. If you don't have a passport and perhaps miss embarkation, miss the ship in port, or have to disembark the cruise early, you will not be able to fly to the next port or fly home without a passport. It's not required for a Caribbean, Alaskan or Mexican cruise but it's highly recommended.

If you have a passport, it would make sense to go ahead and put in for your renewal. Even if you don't receive it in time for your cruise, I would bring along a copy of the application for renewal with my current passport. In case of an emergency, you may be able to get help from a U.S. rep in the islands.

Besides, it's much easier and quicker to renew it BEFORE it expires.

If you have a passport, it would make sense to go ahead and put in for your renewal. Even if you don't receive it in time for your cruise, I would bring along a copy of the application for renewal with my current passport. In case of an emergency, you may be able to get help from a U.S. rep in the islands.

Actually it doesn't make anything quicker and easier if you do it before it expires. The process for an expired passport is the same the short form.

When submitting a renewal form, the current passport must be sent in with the form. You should receive the old passport back in a separate envelope from the new one.

When submitting a renewal form, the current passport must be sent in with the form. You should receive the old passport back in a separate envelope from the new one.

...and the old passport will have a hole punched in it so it can't be used again.

I'm sorry, I worded my comment wrong. I meant they could bring a COPY of their current passport along with a copy of the renewal application. I just thought that it may help in an emergency to have proof that it is not expired and in process. It was just a thought....Not even sure it would work in an emergency.

I'm sorry, I worded my comment wrong. I meant they could bring a COPY of their current passport along with a copy of the renewal application. I just thought that it may help in an emergency to have proof that it is not expired and in process. It was just a thought....Not even sure it would work in an emergency.

A copy of any of that has no value. You cannot travel on a copy.... only the original.

Time and again people get turned away and barred from boarding if they do not have the proper travel documents.

For some, many, Caribbean cruises you can sail without passport but you cannot fly internationally should you have an emergency and need to leave the ship before it returns to the port where you boarded.

Archived