Currency

tanner1449

For larger resturants and such CC works, but for small odds and ends and such cash is usually prefered and safer for the buyer too!

We are sailing to the Western Caribbean and was wondering about taking cash. Should we just use our credit card or do most places take US

currency?

We are sailing to the Western Caribbean and was wondering about taking cash. Should we just use our credit card or do most places take US

currency?

Most places take US Currency, but some will give you change in local money. We do not use our credit cards on a cruise except for our sign and sail account, and the precruise hotel. Last time I am pretty sure but can't prove the hotel stole our number and tried to use it. Luckily our credit card company was on top of it.

As other replies, USD are accepted pretty-well everywhere.

But take a stack of ones & fives (word is they don't like $2 bills - urban myth??) because in some places - such as shops geared to locals - your change will be in local shrapnel, and a $20 bill makes for an expensive icecream & a pocketful of souvenir money :rolleyes:

Small bills also help with your bargaining at stalls

JB :)

USD worked well for us in the Bahamas as well as St. Thomas (a USVI, so of course it's good) as well as St. Maarten.

We did use our credit card in St. Maarten for a larger purchase at a small shop - the owner was reluctant to accept it when they saw I had cash (the % take for American Express is pretty steep for the merchant) but when push came to shove they accepted it. I didn't want to spend all my cash and be forced to get screwed by service fees taking more money out at a foreign ATM.

In Nassau we were given change in the local currency. As per the above response, most of it amounted to souvenirs for the kids after the fact - not enough to be worth getting changed back anywhere. Small bills would have been better.

Welcome to Cruise Critic.

For the Western Caribbean -- US dollars are accepted - we take a bunch of ones and fives for small purchases as we don't want to get back a lot of their currancy.

I also have 1 credit card that has a low limit on it that I use for restaurants and larger purchases.

Archived