Maya Key - Quick review and pics.

Stickman81

WOW – we really enjoyed Roatan. Perhaps because it was our first stop and perhaps it was because we took a ships excursion to Maya Key. Maya Key is a small island just off the shores of Rotan itself. The island was clearly visible from the aft of the ship while we were docked.

This was the only excursion I had booked before we departed on the cruise. I chose this for many reasons but it boiled down to a few main factors. The excursion did not require us to do anything that Roni was not able to do. A car accident one year ago is still causing problems and pain with the compression fracture of Vertebra T-11. Any activities like Zip-line or dune buggy adventures were out of the question. There also was ample shade on the island. Roni has fair complexion and sunburns easily. The transportation back to the ship’s dock was every half hour so we did not feel as though we were stranded on the island until they decided to release us.

We docked on the starboard side of a nice pier. We disembarked through the forward gangway from Deck 4. Disembarkation was a breeze with little waiting. Perhaps it was because we did not need to be first of the ship. To disembark they swiped the room key through the computer. I say room key as I am not quite certain what it should be called. I have heard the term Sea Card or Key Card and may refer to them by any of those names.

Once on the pier we walked a short distance to the aft of the ship where a local greeting committee was playing music and dancing welcoming us to Rotan. Near the aft of the ship were the shore excursion groups. They were easy to find and had clearly printed signage. We found the tour operator for Maya Key and gave him our tickets. At the end of the pier, we loaded onto a nice sized pontoon boat with about twelve other passengers and were quickly on our way. The ride was a short one, lasting only about five minutes to Maya Key. We were greeted warmly and given information about the island and what time lunch would be served. As we started up the pathway to the food and beverage area we passed by two White-capped Pionus parrots on some branches that were affixed to some trees.

We explored the immediate area and then changed into swimwear. We easily found some lounge chairs in the shade on the beach. We stayed long enough to put our feet in the water and lay in the shade and absorb the surroundings. After a short while, we made our way to the area where the food was to be served. They had a very nice selection of food including a grilled chicken, what was supposed to have been grilled fish, but to me it was fried. There was a wonderful rice and bean mix and fried bananas. There was also salad and perhaps another item which I don’t recall at the moment. Lunch was served from about 1100 to 1300. There was plenty of food and it all tasted good. After lunch we explored some more of Maya Key finding the other animals and, walking around the island itself.

Maya Key is a refugee, rehabilitation center and home to several animals that are indigenous to the area. As I mentioned earlier, we saw two White-capped Pionus Parrots when we first arrived at the island. There were also Scarlet Macaws, Military Macaws, Red-Lored and Yellow Naped Amazons and a few other birds that I am not familiar with. There were signs for the Margay and Jaguar but we did not see them. There were Toucans and some monkeys as well.

We did get bit by bugs. We never saw them and never felt them bit. We only noticed them later in the day.

For my full trip review, click on the link in my signature file.

Maya Key as seen from the Barong Spa on the NCL Star.

12-20-2011.

DSC_0027%252520%252528Medium%252529.JPG

Just behind Maya Key you can see the runway for the airport in Roatan. Aircraft pass right over Maya Key.

Look to the left of the picture and you will see the control tower on the side of the hill.

DSC_0029%252520%252528Medium%252529.JPG

White Capped Pinous Parrot on Maya Key.

Maya Key is home, refuge and rehabilitation center for several indigenous animals.

DSCN0987%252520%252528Medium%252529.JPG

Dining area on Maya Key.

DSCN0990%252520%252528Medium%252529.JPG

Pool area.

DSCN0992%252520%252528Medium%252529.JPG

Awesome beach area.

DSCN0993%252520%252528Medium%252529.JPG

Snorkeling is best off the end of the pier.

DSCN0994%252520%252528Medium%252529.JPG

Beach area as seen from the pier.

DSCN0996%252520%252528Medium%252529.JPG

Scarlet Macaws.

DSCN1005%252520%252528Medium%252529.JPG

Red-Lored Amazons.

DSCN1010%252520%252528Medium%252529.JPG

One of two buildings at the top of Maya Key that house historical information.

DSCN1011%252520%252528Medium%252529.JPG

Lunch as provided by the excursion.

I am a bit of a picky eater, but this was good!

Chicken, fish, rice, banana chips.

There was also salad and a roasted corn side.

DSCN1016%252520%252528Medium%252529.JPG

We did get bit by bugs. We never saw them and never felt them bit. We only noticed them later in the day.

Ditto!!! We used bug repellent and still got bit - many times!

Great pictures and report!

The chicken was good - but the sea bass was WONDERFUL! (probably the best thing we had to eat all week!)

Is Maya Key All-Inclusive, are alcohol beverages included in the price with lunch?

Thanks for the great review!

Alcoholic Beverages were not included, nor were Cokes.

The tea was pretty good and the Coke prices were not bad.

I don't recall the prices for beer though, sorry.

We were there on December 28th - your pictures are so much better than mine! We had a boat ride over as we were at Mahogany Bay, so we didn't get the whole-island view, but we did enjoy walking all the way around it.

I will say that if you're expecting white beaches and lots of sun on the beach, you won't find that here - the beach is nice enough and there are plenty of chairs, but it's not "paradise" there. There is a "paradise" part of the island that it looks like they may be preparing to become a "beach day" part of the island - the sand is better and the view is more scenic.

The pool is really nice, though, and my non-sea-water boys enjoyed spending a good amount of time in the pool.

There are some lockers for rent, but if you aren't one of the earlier groups arriving, you may not be able to get one as they might be "sold out." They cost $3 to rent with a $5 deposit you get back at the end of the day. You can also rent snorkling gear but we didn't so I don't know the cost.

The gift shop is nice - we forgot to bring dry shirts for the children so we bought them each a t-shirt with Roatan on it.

Here are a few more pictures:

DSC00544.jpg

Ancient Mayan restroom:

DSC00513.jpg

Loved this but don't know what it is:

DSC00481.jpg

Beach where the chairs are set up:

DSC00471.jpg

• 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...
This is a tai plant. I have a bunch of them in my front yard.

Tex I love your Life is short quote I have not seen that one may have to borrow it for a while , as a cancer survivor , I keep one under my name it was time for a new one:):)

Tex I love your Life is short quote I have not seen that one may have to borrow it for a while , as a cancer survivor , I keep one under my name it was time for a new one:):)

You're more than welcome to use it ! And congrats on being a survivor :)

Archived