Another smuggling Question..sorry..

We usually cruise on Celebrity, Holland America, and Princess and wine is never an issue and is allowed. We always get suites or large aft balconies and like to enjoy wine on the balcony.

I now see that RCCL prohibits this - which is why after this next cruise we will avoid RCCL. We do not bring on beer and hard liquor - just a box of wine to enjoy on the balcony. We like the portability and ease of use that the box wine has. We always also pay for a bottle of wine w/ our dinners. If they confiscate my box, I will not be happy.

I understand the need to make $$ from alcohol on board but prohibiting even two bottles or a box of wine for people to enjoy in their rooms is just too strict. Pretty disappointed in RCCL total abolition policy here - it is more strict that any other I have seen and too bad.

You don't really think they would toss anyone off ir deny boarding do you?

It ain't gonna happen.

Hey there Lucky.

Let us know how you feel watching your ship depart as you stare thru the windows of the dock's terminal and pout.

And realizing your name is now on the "Do Not Board/Deny Embarkation" list for any future RCCL and CC cruises and your name and SS number float thru to the TSA within minutes. Be sure you write about this most exciting experience here on Cruise Critic, ok?

One wonders why they say this in their contract, the one you agree to:

Guests who violate any alcohol policies, (over consume, provide alcohol to people under age 21, demonstrate irresponsible behavior, or attempt to conceal alcoholic items at security and or luggage check points or any other time), may be disembarked or not allowed to board, at their own expense, in accordance with our Guest Conduct Policy

Is it really worth the risk?? Good luck.

Hey there Lucky.

Let us know how you feel watching your ship depart as you stare thru the windows of the dock's terminal and pout.

And realizing your name is now on the "Do Not Board/Deny Embarkation" list for any future RCCL and CC cruises and your name and SS number float thru to the TSA within minutes. Be sure you write about this most exciting experience here on Cruise Critic, ok?

One wonders why they say this in their contract, the one you agree to:

Guests who violate any alcohol policies, (over consume, provide alcohol to people under age 21, demonstrate irresponsible behavior, or attempt to conceal alcoholic items at security and or luggage check points or any other time), may be disembarked or not allowed to board, at their own expense, in accordance with our Guest Conduct Policy

Is it really worth the risk?? Good luck.

I think it is worth the risk and have thought so for almost 40 cruises.. "To each his own" said the old man as his kissed the cow.

I'll bet you're a Tim Tebow fan.?

I think you should pour the box of wine into little balloons and swallow them. Then when you get to your room, expel them. Have your wife do the same. Then pull the balloons out of the commode and cut them open and pour them into a nice carafe and enjoy!

those naughty room and security are hard to understand

My girlfriend was stopped once because she had a bottle for her contact lenses , but they were like " what is that " and she said , liquid for the lenses and they said " ok

and I went to the naught room to pick up my luggage because they wanted to know what was that " it was my tanning bottle with lots of bags covering it " I have a 1 little bottle of water and never said anything

so idk , you can never predict them,

If rum runners go through the security scanners undetected, do all plastic bottles pass the scanners in the same way? What makes them suspicious about the contents of your luggage - is it glass bottles/metal caps perhaps? Is there anyone out there that knows the answer to this question with any reliable knowledge?

Desperate, obviously.

Again, be sure you write about this most exciting experience here on Cruise Critic, ok?

Will do. And you be sure to write about the first cruiser you hear about who was denied boarding or kicked off a ship.

You must also be a Red Wings fan.

this thread is hilarious... I will never know why someone would care or lecture another adult for bringing on booze

Sometimes I wonder whether it just a contest to see how long a thread will keep going. I think we've pretty much established:

1. You can't bring booze aboard or it's confiscated

2. People smuggle in rum runners

3. No one has yet been thrown overboard smuggling booze.

What's left?:rolleyes:

I think it is worth the risk and have thought so for almost 40 cruises.. "To each his own" said the old man as his kissed the cow.

I'll bet you're a Tim Tebow fan.?

Hey now, I don't drink (medical reasons), but don't be lumping this non-smuggler into a Tebow fan :D

We are bringing about 8 varieties of the small "one-hitter-quitters" from the liquor store;)

Basically the same small bottles you would be given on an airplane. Where do you buy rum runners?

FYI, have done 5 cruises, all on RCI. Used rum runners everytime, but also had a few of the small "airline" bottles with me each time. I normally just stick one or two in with my cosmetics. Also one in the bag with my shampoo, etc.

Last year on Navigator out of FLL, my one bags was late coming to the room. I did not get called to the "naughty" room, however was given a "naughty slip"

A "prohibited item seizure form" was on the top of the bag. It reads that they confiscated 3 - 50 ml bottles from my bag. I actually kept the form and get quite a kick out of it!!

Funny part is, the rum runner that was in the same bag, but in the front pockets was never touched!!

May just stick with the rum runners from here on out.

Sometimes I wonder whether it just a contest to see how long a thread will keep going. I think we've pretty much established:

1. You can't bring booze aboard or it's confiscated

2. People smuggle in rum runners

3. No one has yet been thrown overboard smuggling booze.

What's left?:rolleyes:

Red Bulls, how should I bring them on? Hahah, I don't drink coffee and need that restart in the morning. Last cruise I brought 12 5-hour energy drinks, but they lack the experience in getting to sip and work on the drink.

do all plastic bottles pass the scanners in the same way? What makes them suspicious about the contents of your luggage - is it glass bottles/metal caps perhaps?

Plastic bottles are not detectable. Plastic bottles with liquid in them CAN show up and bottle can give that shadow a suspicious shape. Bottles with plastic caps don't show cap on x-ray like a metal cap. My brother bought several airline size rums at St. Kitts and put them in backpack pockets. No problem but forgot where he put several so next couple ports he was on and off ship with them and never detected. BUT my 100ml bottle with metal cap was detected and I was directed to "the cart over there" to leave it. But there was no cart there. I wandered around the area looking for it (really) shrugged and walked off to cabin and nobody cared.

One time as a test I took a couple plastic "traveler" size (750ml) bourbon bottles that had been emptied. Before leaving home I put a couple teaspoons of pancake syrup in them. At hotel pre-cruise I filled with hot water and put them in suitcase. Looked exactly like real stuff. Got through with no problem. I had to wonder if they had been confiscated and someone tried to drink it how surprised they would have been. :D

Glass bottles are more dense and some bottle glass contains lead or other metals for coloring (green wine bottles). These can light up pretty good on the screen.

perhaps if you all (americans) did'nt smuggle alcohol the rest of us would not have to pay 15% extra on drinks:p rum runners what a joke:rolleyes:

The American's (includes my family) pay tips to people who provide them service esp in the areas of food and beverage; it is part of the cultural regardless if the rest of the world may or may not agree with it. The going rate is 15%. If the service is exceptional then we bump the "tip" to 20 to 25%. If the service is less than up to par we may adjust down. The 15% fee is not a smuggler's penalty. On another note, I have never smuggled, and I do find the whole idea of putting top shelf or a fine wine in a plastic thing (rum runner) that looks like something out of a hospital a bit unappetizing!

The American's (includes my family) pay tips to people who provide them service esp in the areas of food and beverage; it is part of the cultural regardless if the rest of the world may or may not agree with it. The going rate is 15%. If the service is exceptional then we bump the "tip" to 20 to 25%. If the service is less than up to par we may adjust down. The 15% fee is not a smuggler's penalty. On another note, I have never smuggled, and I do find the whole idea of putting top shelf or a fine wine in a plastic thing (rum runner) that looks like something out of a hospital a bit unappetizing!

hey roxymax

i to pay tips ,but who says what a(going rate) is.

hey roxymax

i to pay tips ,but who says what a(going rate) is.

Tipping is a controversial issue. There are many, many online articles about tipping in different countries. Some countries tips are actually illegal. The going rate is established by the people in the society of the country in question. Surveys about tipping are a good guide to what is the "norm" for the moment. I also learned my "tipping" rules from my parents, the rules have been enforced by the society "norms" I see around me, and I, in turn, further enforce those same "norms" by my own tippng standards.

Tipping is a controversial issue. There are many, many online articles about tipping in different countries. Some countries tips are actually illegal. The going rate is established by the people in the society of the country in question. Surveys about tipping are a good guide to what is the "norm" for the moment. I also learned my "tipping" rules from my parents, the rules have been enforced by the society "norms" I see around me, and I, in turn, further enforce those same "norms" by my own tippng standards.

who says it is 15%:confused:

Archived