Braemar? Unstable - Noisy?

jeanlyon

Hi, reading all sorts of reviews on the Braemar with folk saying they had rolling, pitching, noise, vibration, even in forward cabins.

Is this true? Can someone who has been on her recently please comment. I'm a pretty good sailor, but do have trouble sleeping if the vibration is bad. We are on Atlantic deck just forward of midships?

Jean

Hi, reading all sorts of reviews on the Braemar with folk saying they had rolling, pitching, noise, vibration, even in forward cabins.

Is this true? Can someone who has been on her recently please comment. I'm a pretty good sailor, but do have trouble sleeping if the vibration is bad. We are on Atlantic deck just forward of midships?

Jean

We have been on Braemar 7 times and never had a bad time with movement or vibration and that includes 3 transatlantics. Mind you we have a strong constitution and do not suffer at all from any kind of sea sickness. I can tell you that Braemar is a wonderful ship and we can't wait to travel on her again. You will have a wonderful time.:)

Well what a lovely positive response. Thank you so much. It will be our first FO. We did suffer some vibration problems on Artemis with P&O and that was in the dining room! One night I just had to leave, it was going right through me!! Artemis was very sea kindly though and even in a force 9 she was fine.

Jean

Well what a lovely positive response. Thank you so much. It will be our first FO. We did suffer some vibration problems on Artemis with P&O and that was in the dining room! One night I just had to leave, it was going right through me!! Artemis was very sea kindly though and even in a force 9 she was fine.

Jean

Hi Jean

We were in cabin 4026 in April and slept like logs, you will be fine

T:)

We had been told this about Braemar too and were so pleasantly surprised to find it not to be true. We were on deck 3 fairly forward and it was fine. There does seem to sometimes be rather a lot of vibration when it is berthing but not every time. Braemar is a beautiful ship and like all Olsen ships has very nice crew. Only downside is rather small cabins but having said that we fitted everything in and the decor is very light and bright. Although she is the smallest it does not seem so when you are on board. Enjoy your trip.

When you just happen to be in a restaurant during departure, you might suffer a lot of vibration when the stern is moving from the quay.

But . . . that is not only on Braemar, that happens on all ships.

Thanks to all of you. I don't usually take a lot of notice of reviews. We are on Deck 3 - 3069, so just forward of midships. Very exciting. I do like the smaller ships, having been on P&O's Azura - never again - just too big.

Our cruise is to West Africa & Cape Verdes - pity we are leaving Dover in October!!! LOL

Jean

We were on the Braemar last April coming back from the Caribbean to Dover and we were on Deck 3 near the bow, when docking and leaving the port we suffered the most appaling noise and vibration we found out this was the thrusters which was a relief the first time it happened we thought it was one of the crew going beserk with a chainsaw. Also my wife suffered seasickness on the transatlantic crossing which has she never suffered before in 9 previous cruises again we put this down to the Braemar has a flat bottom so is not stable. If we went on the Braemar again we would opt for a cabin in the middle and we would not risk any sort of ocean crossing it was ideal pottering around the Caribbean, shame they are no longer doing it.

We were on the Braemar last April coming back from the Caribbean to Dover and we were on Deck 3 near the bow, when docking and leaving the port we suffered the most appaling noise and vibration we found out this was the thrusters which was a relief the first time it happened we thought it was one of the crew going beserk with a chainsaw. Also my wife suffered seasickness on the transatlantic crossing which has she never suffered before in 9 previous cruises again we put this down to the Braemar has a flat bottom so is not stable. If we went on the Braemar again we would opt for a cabin in the middle and we would not risk any sort of ocean crossing it was ideal pottering around the Caribbean, shame they are no longer doing it.

We were on this same cruise and we were on deck 4 near the bow (4026) and never heard a thing. Didn't suffer from any seasickness either. It was a great cruise. It must just be luck :)

We've cruised twice on Braemar. The first was a fly cruise to the Med in 2008, we loved it, had no problems onboard.

The second was in 2010, sailing to the Med from Southampton. Although we are seasoned cruisers, and don't normally suffer from sea-sickness, we found the motion of the ship as we sailed through the Bay of Biscay and the following day along the coast of Spain/Portugal was extremely uncomfortable - enough to send us to get the Stugeron out of its packet! It's certainly put us off sailing on Braemar again.

Like a previous forum poster, we were told it was due to the flat bottomed construction of the ship.

• 2 months later...

We were on the Braemar last June on a Norwegian Fjords cruise. The crossing in the North Sea was a bit rough, but I am never seasick so it doesn't bother me. My partner, who does suffer from seasickness only felt a bit queasy.

Doing a Caribbean cruise on the Braemar departing this week. Looking forward to it.

Archived